Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting words from coach Billeter

Tightly knit Augustana men clicking heading into postseason (dakotanewsnow.com)

Comment

• Fun story on Adam Dykman's 46-year career as a Viking: https://www.keloland.com/sports/adam...tball-journey/

Comment

• not winning the NSIC Tournament.

At the same time, to ensure the opportunity to host, the Vikes probably need to keep winning as many games as Upper Iowa. Maybe not, depending on how it all shakes out, but my guess is it's important for Augie to keep winning until Upper Iowa is out.

Anyway, I just hope this group of upperclassmen is keeping the team focused and not getting wrapped up in the top 5 ranking, the conference championship, the media attention, etc. Any of these teams in the NSIC Tournament could beat us if we're just off by a few shots and they aren't, and we don't even know how we match up with Minot or Moorhead, both of whom we could end up playing this next week. Not to mention Upper Iowa having Williams back now.

It's been a better-than-expected season so far. Hopefully this squad can carry it on beyond just a game or two in the postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          not winning the NSIC Tournament.

At the same time, to ensure the opportunity to host, the Vikes probably need to keep winning as many games as Upper Iowa. Maybe not, depending on how it all shakes out, but my guess is it's important for Augie to keep winning until Upper Iowa is out.

Anyway, I just hope this group of upperclassmen is keeping the team focused and not getting wrapped up in the top 5 ranking, the conference championship, the media attention, etc. Any of these teams in the NSIC Tournament could beat us if we're just off by a few shots and they aren't, and we don't even know how we match up with Minot or Moorhead, both of whom we could end up playing this next week. Not to mention Upper Iowa having Williams back now.

It's been a better-than-expected season so far. Hopefully this squad can carry it on beyond just a game or two in the postseason.
          Would you relax, I called you winning the regular season championship, do you need me to predict you the rest of it?

Nice to have you back though

Comment

• Congrats to Caden Hinker on breaking the all-time career assist record at Mitchell. Took the top spot from some character named Ryan Krome who definitely doesn't sound like anyone who had a great career at another NSIC school.

Comment

• Also congrats to Brady Helgren on scoring his 1,000th career point at Edina:

Comment

• Things I'm Concerned About After Today:
                • Switch happy defenses that push offense out further from the basket and make post ups harder to get. Wayne did it in Wayne, Winona did it, and Moorhead did it today. They will see it from better competition in the Regional and need to be ready to counter mismatches quicker.
                • Isaac Fink: last four games he is 13-39 FG and 3-15 from 3. He's the most talented shooter on the team and needs to find the rhythm during this break.
                • Akoi/Otto gotta give them something during their 5-15 minutes. They've been really good the last month but today was rough.
                Things I'm not Concerned About after Today:
                • Adam Dykman couldn't buy a basket in the restricted area today but several of them appeared to be of the flukey variety
                • This defense is going to be the thing that carries them in the Regional. That has been a constant in every game that Riemersma has played. They know what they're doing and can execute numerous concepts on the fly.

Today sucked but it is not the end.

Comment

• Matt Zimmer from the Argus Leader seems to think Augie will host the regional after MSU Moorhead's win today. Anyone disagree?

Comment

• Originally posted by AU Vikings View Post
                    Matt Zimmer from the Argus Leader seems to think Augie will host the regional after MSU Moorhead's win today. Anyone disagree?
                    Twice I can remember MSU being the top seed in the NSIC playoffs- once for men, once for women- losing to the #8 seed and still hosting the regional. I can see it happening. Didn't he also say four teams would get in?

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Twice I can remember MSU being the top seed in the NSIC playoffs- once for men, once for women- losing to the #8 seed and still hosting the regional. I can see it happening. Didn't he also say four teams would get in?
                      Yes, he did. I guess I would be very surprised if Augie, Upper Iowa or Minnesota Duluth were bumped out because of Minnesota Moorhead getting the automatic bid.

Comment

• Should be a rematch of Augie at the 1 seed vs Moorhead at the (way too low for the best team in the region) 8 seed at the Pentagon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                          Should be a rematch of Augie at the 1 seed vs Moorhead at the (way too low for the best team in the region) 8 seed at the Pentagon.

Comment

• Amazing AU recuit sets school record

Comment

• Some quick updates for Augie fans on incoming players:

Brady Helgren scored his 1,000th career point last week:

Sam Rensch scored 35 last week in a win and dropped 40 last night (7 threes) in another win:

This past weekend Jackson Loge put up 32 points, 9 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 6 assists against BOLD and then dropped 28 points and 14 boards in a win against Melrose.

Also, all four incoming Minnesota recruits are in the final 20 for the 2022 MBCA McDonald Award (which is actually named after incoming recruit Ayden McDonald's grandfather):

On the SD side, Mitchell Kernel Caden Hinker will play his last game in the Corn Palace in a few hours. Would be fun to see him get a win in his last home game.

Comment

• Thanks for all the updates on the Vikings-to-be. I have to think Billeter is going to bring in at least one other player. As of now, I count only 11 for next season -- the six returnees (and that's assuming they all come back) and the five freshmen.

As for starters, Fink is a lock, as is Akoi, I'm guessing. After that, who knows. Jackson Loge, given his decorated recruiting profile. Maybe Hinker or Helgren for needed size. Would Otto start at the point? Distras? A freshman/transfer to be named later?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X