Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Coach Billeter was on ESPN radio the other day. Apparently he's more forgiving of Matt Cartwright than I am. Shared some positive words about Matt as well as some thoughts on this year's team, how the season is going, etc. Pretty fun interview, as is typically the case when Tom's on ESPN with Jeff Thurn.

https://espnsiouxfalls.com/podcast/p...yertype=player
    He would be a fool not to be, at least publicly, especially with Cartwright not only in the same conference but the same city as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      He would be a fool not to be, at least publicly, especially with Cartwright not only in the same conference but the same city as well.
      Fair enough. My point was that he went out of his way to compliment and congratulate Cartwright in the interview rather than just saying, "Yeah, he's a good player" and moving on. To your point, I wouldn't expect him to bash the kid or anything whether he was mad at him or not.

Comment

• Personally I hope Matt has a healthy season, averages 20+ ppg on 40% 3pt shooting while USF goes 0-22 in NSIC play. That's what I'll continue to cheer for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          Personally I hope Matt has a healthy season, averages 20+ ppg on 40% 3pt shooting while USF goes 0-22 in NSIC play. That's what I'll continue to cheer for.
          I can get on board with that.

Comment

• Some quick thoughts on last night's game (which was a fun one as an Augie fan):

1) I think the biggest thing about last night's game is that *all* of the guys who are supposed to step up in big games actually stepped up.

Lebrun played 39 of 40 minutes and had 21 points, specifically hitting BIG shots when we needed big shots.

Tyler Riemersma had 18 points and 7 rebounds and, like LeBrun, made plays when we needed plays (baby hooks that went in and didn't come off the front iron, a couple of and-1s when we needed momentum, etc.). The only thing he didn't do well was shoot free throws, which is uncharacteristic of him. He was a 73% FT shooter on the year before last night's game, but he was only 4-9 against the Cougars. I'm guessing that won't typically be the case.

Adam Dykman put up 12 points and 7 boards, but stepped up when he needed to and didn't miss bunny layups and short hook shots, as he can do in some games. And he and Riemersma both played tough defense on USF's bigs.

Isaac Fink hit two CLUTCH shots toward the end of the game, even though he hadn't really been doing a *ton* offensively throughout most of the game.

Jameson Bryan was solid as usual. Didn't make a ton of baskets and got blocked at the rim a few times on drives, but kept the defense honest and didn't have any turnovers.

Our bench was essentially non-existent, but when our starters actually step up like they need to, we're a good team. And not having a game tonight will be helpful when it comes to rest and pre-game prep, which Coach Billeter noted on the post-game show with Jeff Fylling.

2) Dylan LeBrun completely incapacitated Matt Cartwright. Cartwright was 2-6 from the field, 0-2 from three, and had 2 turnovers with no assists. It was clear the Vikings intended to shut Cartwright down, and it worked. Hopefully they can do that again in the next matchup.

3) The student section was finally awesome for a basketball game. We've had a few years where it has felt like the student attendance was down (or it was a decent crowd that spent most of the game staring at their phones), but this game really felt like a college basketball game should, so it was encouraging to have students there to see a fun game that resulted in a win.

Obviously there's still plenty of season to play, and the Mustangs are looking to be as feisty as any team in the conference right now, so tomorrow night will probably be another battle, but that doesn't take away from the fact that last night was a fun win for Augie fans.

Comment

• Very nice in-depth writing MrA. Since the Argus leader does only generic stories, you our de facto beat writer. Was unusual not having much substituting, but there isn't much depth on the team and no game tonight.

Comment

• I missed this before, but Midco Sports's David Brown recently did a cool feature story on Augie point guard Jameson Bryan: https://twitter.com/MidcoSports/stat...Rigq_qYMw&s=19

Comment

• Allow me to echo the praise for MrAugustana. Excellent assessment of the game.

Happy for Dylan LeBrun to have such a big game on a relatively big stage. He's the last man standing from what had been a promising group of recruits: Cartwright, Schaefer, Plitzuweit (transfers) and Hanson (chronic injuries) -- all gone. His ridiculous makes to beat the shot clock probably were the difference in the game.

Still concerned about the lack of production from the bench. But I'll take a win this year in the NSIC however Augie gets it.

Comment

• Fun play from the game today. Would love to continue to see stuff like this as the season goes on...

Comment

• Vikings put on a show late. Sunk a bunch of threes, a couple dunks - would have enjoyed it if it wasn't against the Stangs, but I respect it.

Comment

• Pretty cool accomplishment for incoming Viking Jackson Loge:

Comment

• Just saw that Loge had also passed former St. Cloud State Huskies Taylor and Forrest Witt on the school's scoring records:

Comment

• Couple of quick Twitter updates for Augie fans on some of our incoming Vikings:

Jackson Loge:

Brady Helgren:

Ayden McDonald:

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                              Pretty cool accomplishment for incoming Viking Jackson Loge:

That must have been a very cool moment for those two.

Comment

• Speaking of cool accomplishments, here's one for incoming Viking Ayden McDonald:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X