Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Most of the conversation was being controlled by Kelby Krabbenhoft CEO of Sanford Health, who also implored MSU to move up when he made a hefty donation to the school. Jeff Fylling is employed by Kelby at Sanford and traveled to Chadron with Jeff as a color commentator as he often does. He stated SF is projected to be as large as Des Moines IA. by 2025 and thinks their will be plenty of donations for the school. Funny that Drake cannot raise enough coin to have scholarship football.
    Every once in a while the specter of MSU moving up to D1 rears it's ugly rear end, to use a Sid Hartman quote. Most scenarios would include dropping football, which may be why the administration hasn't pushed for a new stadium. I was in the press box a few weeks ago and it is an embarrassment. I doubt if there is a worse one in the NSIC. Pitiful.

Anyway- not that I'm a rich man, but if MSU drops football I won't donate another penny to that school. I've been a loyal fan but I won't support that move.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Every once in a while the specter of MSU moving up to D1 rears it's ugly rear end, to use a Sid Hartman quote. Most scenarios would include dropping football, which may be why the administration hasn't pushed for a new stadium. I was in the press box a few weeks ago and it is an embarrassment. I doubt if there is a worse one in the NSIC. Pitiful.

Anyway- not that I'm a rich man, but if MSU drops football I won't donate another penny to that school. I've been a loyal fan but I won't support that move.
      Augustana could not afford to drop football as it makes for a significant percentage of the schools male population and at this time could not come up with enough money for 63 scholarships.

Comment

Augustana could not afford to drop football as it makes for a significant percentage of the schools male population and at this time could not come up with enough money for 63 scholarships.
        Good. I don't really want to see Augie go D1 since MSU has had decades of great games with them.

Comment

Most of the conversation was being controlled by Kelby Krabbenhoft CEO of Sanford Health, who also implored MSU to move up when he made a hefty donation to the school. Jeff Fylling is employed by Kelby at Sanford and traveled to Chadron with Jeff as a color commentator as he often does. He stated SF is projected to be as large as Des Moines IA. by 2025 and thinks their will be plenty of donations for the school. Funny that Drake cannot raise enough coin to have scholarship football.
          I'm always amazed at how these discussions are often driven by the "community," but that those people seemingly have no concept of the challenges a move to DI is from a financial perspective. I think a move would be a huge mistake for Augie.

Comment

If you're watching games on the computer, X out their play by play guy and bring up Jeff Fylling timing is spot on.

If you do not have a Roku2, buy one on Amazon, why watch hunched over your notebook when you can see on TV HiDef. Refurbished Roku2 run $35 and you need a HDMI cable, $6 at Wally Mart for 4ft.

Comment

During Augustana's ludicrous run of 40-7 last night the Vikings scored on 18 of their last 24 possessions, which excludes their last possession where they dribbled out the clock, including scoring on 10 straight trips from 4:39 remaining to :31. As horrendous as the first 25 minutes were those last twelve were tremendous as Tom rode a small ball lineup of Spencer-Schaefer-Cartwright-Warren-Dykman to victory.

Comment

Looking forward to what the Vikes can do this weekend back at the Arena. Would love to see two wins, especially against a Minot team that's playing the best it's ever played at the D2 level. My concern is that I haven't exactly seen overwhelmingly strong defense from our frontcourt, so this could be the type of game where rightful NSIC 2017-18 POY Tyler Rudolph puts up a cool 35 or so. Hoping that doesn't happen.
                Last edited by MrAugustana; 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM. Reason: accidentally said "frontline" instead of "frontcourt"

Comment

On first glance the common thread between every Augie game this season and especially the losses has been their inability to cover the 3pt line. Some of this is definitely caused by the small sample size effect as well as playing a road/neutral court heavy schedule thus far but I had a thirst to know more:

Code:
                  [B]3pt Shooting in Losses	3PM	3PA	3pt% vs Augie	Season 3pt %[/B]
                  [B]Graceland[/B]               18	 30	      60%	      32%
                  [B]Wayne[/B]	                 8	 19	      42%	      39%
                  [B]Mankato[/B]	                11	 23	      48%	      43%
                  Looking at the numbers vs their season long averages was exhibit 1738 that the Graceland loss was a unabashed disaster. While the Wayne and Mankato losses were merely solid three point shooting teams having an above average night but not the dumpster fire I may have thought. After I confirmed that hypothesis I wondered how this team's defense compared to previous, more talented, Augustana teams:

Code:
                  [B]Team	Defensive Rating	2pt% Allowed	3pt% Allowed[/B]
                  [B]2014-15[/B]	      0.99	            51%	            34%
                  [B]2015-16[/B]	      1.01	            51%	            35%
                  [B]2016-17[/B]	      1.00	            51%	            34%
                  [B]2017-18[/B]	      1.02	            50%	            38%
                  The similarity of this team's defensive rating (or points allowed per possession) to prior year's was a thorough surprise, but as you can see they're doing it despite allowing the highest 3pt % during Jordan Spencer's time in Sioux Falls. Seeing it through this lense gives me hope that a capable defensive team still lies beneath their current hit or miss surface.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                    Looking forward to what the Vikes can do this weekend back at the Arena. Would love to see two wins, especially against a Minot team that's playing the best it's ever played at the D2 level. My concern is that I haven't exactly seen overwhelmingly strong defense from our frontcourt, so this could be the type of game where rightful NSIC 2017-18 POY Tyler Rudolph puts up a cool 35 or so. Hoping that doesn't happen.
                    Troll.
                    I refuse to bite. :)

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                      Troll.
                      I refuse to bite. :)
                      I bet the coaches hold him only playing 21 conference games against him in the final voting. Gage is becoming the NSIC's Ross Perot.

Comment

In other encouraging news, future Viking Dylan LeBrun put up 32 points and 21 boards in an opening-season win tonight for Flandreau. So...that's good.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                          I'm always amazed at how these discussions are often driven by the "community," but that those people seemingly have no concept of the challenges a move to DI is from a financial perspective. I think a move would be a huge mistake for Augie.
                          Exactly. There's no guarantee that a move to D1 will result in increased attendance revenues, as well as alumni donations.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                            Exactly. There's no guarantee that a move to D1 will result in increased attendance revenues, as well as alumni donations.
                            Those same people in Mankato who don't go to games now and use the excuse that it isn't D1 wouldn't show up if they were because they are too cheap to pay for the increase in ticket prices...........

Comment

I think it's time we start recognizing the brilliance of the Augie women's team. They're now 8-0 while carrying a +23.8 nightly point differential, leading the conference in assists with 19.9 per game and steals with 13 each night. In other words, they're playing vintage Krauthketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                                I think it's time we start recognizing the brilliance of the Augie women's team. They're now 8-0 while carrying a +23.8 nightly point differential, leading the conference in assists with 19.9 per game and steals with 13 each night. In other words, they're playing vintage Krauthketball.
                                Acknowledged.

(No need to start a new thread, simple.)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X