Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait...you're telling me that there are people that still have cable?

Comment

• The first alley oop might be the best one of the Billeter era:

https://twitter.com/AugieMensBball/s...959341573?s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

That’s kinda my original point...as they market themselves, at times, as nsic reporters and not just augie and USF reporters (with the understanding that the local teams would get more coverage).
        Nothing is ever fair in the sports media, living in Nebraska we get a lot of NFC east games shoved down our throats by FOX. Nothing like a giants-skins game. Same with MNF, MLB and NBA.

Comment

• Even though Augie didnt have Matt Cartwright losing to a Bemidji team playing 6 guys is awful. That's the type of loss you look back on in February/March when a team falls a game or two short of a conference title or better Regional seeding.

Comment

• I have no idea how Matt Cartwright has become this essential of a component to our success, but we should still be winning several (if not all) of these games we have lost since he's been out.

Hoping some things get figured out this week, as I doubt Northern and Moorhead intend to roll over and provide easy wins for the Vikings to get back on track with. Would be good to see a few guys return to the level they were at a few weeks ago, or, if that's not going to happen, others take it up a level or two. Something definitely needs to improve if we want to end the season in the conversation as regional contenders.
            Last edited by MrAugustana; 01-12-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Be prepared for anything and everything when dragons roll in. Feel like Moorhead can beat anyone in nsic or lose to everyone in nsic multiple times within each weekend. They do have some real talent but not sure they get all 5 guys playing together on both ends of the floor enough. Need full 40 minutes. What is prognosis on Cartwright?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                I have no idea how Matt Cartwright has become this essential of a component to our success, but we should still be winning several (if not all) of these games we have lost since he's been out.

Hoping some things get figured out this week, as I doubt Northern and Moorhead intend to roll over and provide easy wins for the Vikings to get back on track with. Would be good to see a few guys return to the level they were at a few weeks ago, or, if that's not going to happen, others take it up a level or two. Something definitely needs to improve if we want to end the season in the conversation as regional contenders.
                Would love to be there Friday, I'd expect a completely full house. Wolves and Vikings all-time serious is all tied up and this matchup has been a good one, especially with the fan bases for quite a few years now. Wolves won't roll over but Augie will certainly get up for this one.

Comment

• I can't help it- every time I see this thread, I hear Lizzo singing "New Thread of the Augustana Vi-kings".

Comment

• Texas Tom coming in with much more praise for Saul Phillips and Parker Fox than I'm comfortable with: https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...saul-phillips/

Comment

• Five losses is the longest streak since the 2006-07 season ended with six straight. Wah wah wahhhhhhhhh

Comment

• Off topic (other than it might be time to look to the future instead of the present), does anyone know if Matt Wheelock is still with the team? A check of the roster on Augie athletics' website does not list him.

Also, has anyone heard why Beau Keeve didn't play last night?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
                          Off topic (other than it might be time to look to the future instead of the present), does anyone know if Matt Wheelock is still with the team? A check of the roster on Augie athletics' website does not list him.

Also, has anyone heard why Beau Keeve didn't play last night?
                          Wheelock is gone, I heard he left at semester but never heard exactly why.

Keeve tried to check in during the first half, but apparently his long sleeves were violating a jersey rule and was forced to remove them. Beyond that I'm not sure why he didnt play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Wheelock is gone, I heard he left at semester but never heard exactly why.

Keeve tried to check in during the first half, but apparently his long sleeves were violating a jersey rule and was forced to remove them. Beyond that I'm not sure why he didnt play.
                            Body language?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Is true, but they also seem to market themselves as a regional sports network... that looks at the different conferences in the area and not just the Sioux Falls teams. For example, they run stories on und, ndsu, usd, and SDSU, and N.D. and S.D. high school sports. Not as clear to me on what they are doing with the nsic.
                              This is David Brown from Midco Sports Network. I realize these comments were made more than a month ago, but they were recently brought to my attention, so I’ll do my best to answer them because covering the NSIC is something I take tremendous pride in.

I only post on these forums every now and then, but the NSIC is my “beat” at Midco Sports Network. My main duty is play-by-play broadcasting, but I also do some other stuff as has been pointed out in earlier posts (more on this in a bit).

Yes, Midco Sports Network is based primarily in Sioux Falls, but we also have smaller offices with smaller staffs in Fargo and Grand Forks. Believe it or not, I’m the only person at our entire network dedicated to the NSIC, so covering 16 teams can be tricky! I truthfully do my best to cover as much ground as possible.

As Midco SN has grown over the past ten years, we have acquired broadcast rights along the way. The main ones we have (as has been pointed out) are the state schools in the Dakotas (USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU). We broadcast pretty much everything from those four schools with the exception of NDSU football, which is contracted with a different network. But with the acquisition of those rights, we have specific people dedicated to those schools and their ‘beats’ similar to how the NSIC is my beat.

In advance of the 2017-2018 season, Midco underwent a renovation in Sioux Falls that allowed us to do what’s called centralized production. Long story short, we can send a small sprinter van with just on-air talent and a camera crew to a game and have the production run from our studio rather than entirely on-site. We still have big production trailers when needed, but this gave us another, much-needed option for broadcasting games. What this ended up doing is allowing us to TRIPLE the number of live games we did compared to the 2016-2017 season.

That’s when we partnered with the NSIC for the start of NSIC Thursday Night Football and also worked on a schedule of basketball games. During football season, when the weather isn’t as bad and we have a little more flexibility (i.e. not as many fall events), we can go to more NSIC schools. We, as a network, have broadcast a football game from every NSIC school at least once in the past three years and I have personally done play-by-play from 15 of the 16 NSIC schools (including MSU Moorhead).

In the winter, when we have four D-I schools as well as high school and NSIC basketball games that take place all throughout the week (NSIC has the only consistency with Friday/Saturday scheduling), that limits what we can do as a network. So yes, during the winter, we have typically limited our travel for NSIC games for economic and scheduling reasons. I personally have ZERO control over what NSIC games we do, but for some reason, it didn’t work out for us to go to MSU Moorhead for hoops during this 2019-2020 season. But we did go there in the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons.

Now, when it comes to the features I’ve been putting out, in addition to doing play-by-play for all these basketball games, I also come up with storylines and features and work with our producers and directors to put together the best possible product. That means having a halftime feature story for EVERY GAME. So, because we have a preponderance of Augustana games this season on our schedule, I am doing more Augustana features. When we did SMSU games, I did SMSU features and so on and so forth. Since the start of football season, I have done more than 20 features on NSIC schools or student-athletes and plan to do more with our remaining NSIC basketball schedule. This isn’t meant to be a ‘look at me’ deal, but I do all components of these features (interviews, shoots, writing, editing) by myself. I take on the challenge because I’m doing my best to provide the best coverage to an entire conference. I don’t say this for a pat on the back, but merely for an understanding.

Look no further than the spring and the fall of 2019, when I wrote, edited and produced previews of all 16 (at the time) NSIC football schools. I talked to every single football coach on the phone before writing these as well; this wasn’t just haphazardly put together.

https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...sports-network

https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...sports-network

Additionally, during football season, I would do weekly recaps called ‘NSIC Stock Watch’ and during basketball season now, I am doing weekly recaps called ‘Taking Shape.’ Plus, as Augieholic pointed out when he posted my St. Cloud State-SMSU game preview from December 13, when I am doing the play-by-play for a doubleheader, I always make sure to put out a preview video first.

So, to answer your ultimate question Moorhead123, as of now, we do not have contracts with Augustana or Sioux Falls, just the NSIC as a whole. That means I am not an Augie reporter or a USF reporter, I cover the NSIC and I do it with the resources of me, myself and I from Sioux Falls. Does that mean a little more coverage of Augie/USF than other schools? Yes it does because of time, proximity and scheduling.

I understand we have an office in Fargo, but we only have two on-air people in that office: one dedicated to North Dakota State and one dedicated to ND high school sports. I am sorry the schedule did not work out for me to broadcast a game from MSU Moorhead this season and that our overall coverage of the Dragons has not been to your liking. I get it.

All I can promise you is this: as someone who has done play-by-play for every NSIC men’s and women’s basketball tournament game at the Pentagon over the past few years, if/when the Dragons make it, there will be no one more knowledgeable about the MSUM men or women than myself. The NSIC is a fantastic conference with a lot of great teams, players and stories. I understand if the Fargo/Moorhead stations cover MSUM a little more than I personally do, but when it’s tournament time, I will have EVERYTHING covered.

In all sincerity Moorhead123, I appreciate the fact that you pay attention to our network and I will try and do better by you and MSUM in the future. Thanks!

TL; DR version: I’m a one-man band based in Sioux Falls covering 16 schools. I do what I can, lol

Comment

• That is one thorough explanation. Thanks for that!

Sounds to me like your guy(s) in Fargo and/or grand forks needs to step up go into the head hancho and ask for a little bit of a raise to help you out and take over the Msum/Crookston/Bemidji beat since they are in the immediate areas. ;) Probably really talking one or two stories per year on the internationally loved dragons.

keep up up the good work. Much appreciated.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X