Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...that sucks balls.

?????We've done a decent amount of damage to our program on the recruiting front with all of the uncertainty of this transition (not to mention losing Plitzuweit, who claims to have left because of the, at the time, pending D1 move). Coming out with a big fat no probably didn't make all of that particularly worthwhile.

Comment

• Other (unlikely...and admittedly very petty) hope now: St. Thomas doesn't get the NCAA exception to go straight to D1 and one of the non-Dakota schools leaves the Summit (or depressingly bad Western Illinois closes or drops down to D2), and the Summit loses at least a few of their autobids in various sports...ideally men's basketball. But I'm sure there are a dozen ways it would never actually work out like that. And I find it hard to believe St. Thomas won't get in in the first place, which makes it an unlikely hope, as stated from the beginning.
      Last edited by MrAugustana; 05-27-2020, 06:28 PM. Reason: Added that this hope was petty...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        Other (unlikely...and admittedly very petty) hope now: St. Thomas doesn't get the NCAA exception to go straight to D1 and one of the non-Dakota schools leaves the Summit (or depressingly bad Western Illinois closes or drops down to D2), and the Summit loses at least a few of their autobids in various sports...ideally men's basketball. But I'm sure there are a dozen ways it would never actually work out like that. And I find it hard to believe St. Thomas won't get in in the first place, which makes it an unlikely hope, as stated from the beginning.
        I have to assume the Summit League has received some assurance that the NCAA is going to OK the St. Thomas move. Otherwise, I would think the presidents would have held off on a decision on Augie.

I agree, the only path to Division I now is for the Summit League to lose a member. Like you, I would think Western Illinois is the most likely candidate because its enrollment is sinking like a stone and higher education in Illinois is a mess. I'm sure the school will hang on to DI status as long as possible, though.

I was cautiously optimistic about a yes vote, if for no other reason that all parties allowed the process to proceed as far as it did. In hindsight, UMKC returning to the Summit turned out to be a bad thing for Augie. Some of it comes down to timing, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post

I have to assume the Summit League has received some assurance that the NCAA is going to OK the St. Thomas move. Otherwise, I would think the presidents would have held off on a decision on Augie.

I agree, the only path to Division I now is for the Summit League to lose a member. Like you, I would think Western Illinois is the most likely candidate because its enrollment is sinking like a stone and higher education in Illinois is a mess. I'm sure the school will hang on to DI status as long as possible, though.

I was cautiously optimistic about a yes vote, if for no other reason that all parties allowed the process to proceed as far as it did. In hindsight, UMKC returning to the Summit turned out to be a bad thing for Augie. Some of it comes down to timing, I guess.
          That is definitely where I'm at (regarding the St. Thomas thing). Remarkably unfortunate timing for Augie the way all of that went down. Kind of incredible, really. The one time in the history of D3 athletics that a school with the resources and ability to jump straight to Division 1--in our region, no less--gets kicked out of its conference for being too successful happens to be literally in the same very brief stretch of time Augie finally commits to making the jump. Just crazy.

I do wonder if Augie will continue to aggressively pursue this or if they'll back off. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but it will be embarrassing to come running back up to the Summit League like a puppy hoping for a scrap of meat off the plate if Western Illinois falls out or Denver leaves for a different conference or something and the Summit "graciously" extends us an invite a couple of years from now.

But honestly, at this point, I'd almost rather just commit to being a really good D2 school for another 5-10 years before we even consider trying again. It's going to kill recruiting if we are in this constant limbo of "will we/won't we go D1" for the perpetual future. I'm sure it has already hurt when other coaches can sit there and say, "Are you sure you want to commit to a program where you may not even be able to compete for a championship your junior or senior year if they go Division I?" To be in that place perpetually would be program suicide in a lot of ways. Same goes for football. If it's between us, Mankato, and Winona, and MSU and WSU's coaches are saying, "Hey, if they go D1 like they say they want to, you might not even have a scholarship by your junior year." I don't see how our coaching staff can keep recruiting against that if Augie's administration doesn't just say, "Let's try again in ____ years" or whatever.

Then again, I suppose if the Summit comes in 2 years and says they'll take us, I find it hard to believe the administration would turn it down out of spite. If the goal really is to expand Augustana's profile nationwide rather than simply being a regional Division II college, we'll end up having to take what we can get.

Just an intensely frustrating situation all around. On top of that, as an Augie alum, few things are as frustrating as seeing how giddy all of the SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND alums are to see us get rejected.

Allllllllllll that being said, it's going to be nice to be able to (hopefully) build back up to championship-level status again without this D1 stuff hanging over every decision that gets made by the administration and athletic department. Obviously the gauntlet of the South Division will be tough with Winona/Transfer U and everyone else being fully stocked and loaded, but I suppose we'll just have to see what the coaching staff can do to get us as competitive as we were a few years ago now that some of this Division I drama has passed, at least in the short term.

Comment

• I think Augie is going to be in Division II and the NSIC for a while. There is no other DI option besides the Summit League. And as long as Douple is the commissioner and his obsession with "new markets" holds sway, Augie almost certainly will be passed over by other schools -- say, Lindenwood in suburban St. Louis if it ever pursues the DI route.

Douple repeatedly has used language in his public comments that a school needs to add something to the conference and the league needs to be "strategic" in expansion decisions. Those are code words for "We're only going to add schools that are in new places." I think that mentality is delusional for low mid-major conferences. New markets essentially mean nothing absent TV contracts, and ESPN isn't going to come knocking on Douple's door just because St. Thomas is in St. Paul. Cost containment is increasingly going to be the top priority for mid-major schools.

As has been said on this board several times before, the Summit League will need to be in a desperate position in terms of automatic qualifiers to extend Augie an invitation.

Comment

• Hey guys, David Brown from Midco Sports Network here.

This morning, I conducted a full and comprehensive interview with Augustana president Stephanie Herseth Sandlin and athletic director Josh Morton.

We covered a wide variety of topics including when they got the decision, the feedback they got from The Summit League, the reaction on campus, the concerns over transparency during the process, how the situation with St. Thomas impacted things and whether they will re-apply in the future.

There's obviously a lot more covered and it is 24 minutes long, but I encourage everyone who's interested to take a look at the YouTube link below, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2D...ature=youtu.be

Comment

That is definitely where I'm at (regarding the St. Thomas thing). Remarkably unfortunate timing for Augie the way all of that went down. Kind of incredible, really. The one time in the history of D3 athletics that a school with the resources and ability to jump straight to Division 1--in our region, no less--gets kicked out of its conference for being too successful happens to be literally in the same very brief stretch of time Augie finally commits to making the jump. Just crazy.

I do wonder if Augie will continue to aggressively pursue this or if they'll back off. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but it will be embarrassing to come running back up to the Summit League like a puppy hoping for a scrap of meat off the plate if Western Illinois falls out or Denver leaves for a different conference or something and the Summit "graciously" extends us an invite a couple of years from now.

But honestly, at this point, I'd almost rather just commit to being a really good D2 school for another 5-10 years before we even consider trying again. It's going to kill recruiting if we are in this constant limbo of "will we/won't we go D1" for the perpetual future. I'm sure it has already hurt when other coaches can sit there and say, "Are you sure you want to commit to a program where you may not even be able to compete for a championship your junior or senior year if they go Division I?" To be in that place perpetually would be program suicide in a lot of ways. Same goes for football. If it's between us, Mankato, and Winona, and MSU and WSU's coaches are saying, "Hey, if they go D1 like they say they want to, you might not even have a scholarship by your junior year." I don't see how our coaching staff can keep recruiting against that if Augie's administration doesn't just say, "Let's try again in ____ years" or whatever.

Then again, I suppose if the Summit comes in 2 years and says they'll take us, I find it hard to believe the administration would turn it down out of spite. If the goal really is to expand Augustana's profile nationwide rather than simply being a regional Division II college, we'll end up having to take what we can get.

Just an intensely frustrating situation all around. On top of that, as an Augie alum, few things are as frustrating as seeing how giddy all of the SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND alums are to see us get rejected.

Allllllllllll that being said, it's going to be nice to be able to (hopefully) build back up to championship-level status again without this D1 stuff hanging over every decision that gets made by the administration and athletic department. Obviously the gauntlet of the South Division will be tough with Winona/Transfer U and everyone else being fully stocked and loaded, but I suppose we'll just have to see what the coaching staff can do to get us as competitive as we were a few years ago now that some of this Division I drama has passed, at least in the short term.
                Certainly an unexpected development. I sort of feel as though Augie jumped before looking to see where they were going to land on this. Kind of unfortunate for everyone involved.

Comment

Hey, don't forget about about us! We may not be as important as the D1 big brothers, but we still like to see Augie fall on their face. I'm at least partly joking here. But I can't say that I personally am disappointed that Augie will remain in the NSIC for at least a little while. It's a good rivalry for NSU and I enjoy when we play. In my view Augie is positioned to be a good D2 school and I think that is where they are best suited. I do believe they would be successful in the Olympic sports and baseball at the lower lever of D1 and I do think basketball would be competitive with the chance to win the Summit occasionally. I'm less optimistic about the impact they would have in football, especially without an invite to the MVFC. However, given the history of the Summit League it is only a matter of time before someone leaves for greener pastures. That conference has historically been a stepping stone for schools. I think the addition of Augie would help stabilize the conference, but who knows. I'm sure the Vikings day will come, but today is not that day.

Comment

• I have one last thought on this whole Summit League situation and then I'll move on and talk about something else, like, Did Matt Cartwright receive an extra year because of a medical hardship? And, can we keep Parker Fox under three dunks per game next season?

Anyway, one thing that was stated by Douple and echoed on the Dakota school message boards and by some media members concerned the size of Augie's endowment. Based on a quick check of U.S. News' website, and assuming the numbers are accurate, two current Summit League members -- Oral Roberts and Western Illinois -- had smaller endowments, and one -- Omaha -- had an endowment roughly the same size as Augie's, as of 2018. Either size of endowment matters or it doesn't.

I'm guessing the schools were content with 10 members (can't blame them) and USD and SDSU are not keen on adding a member in Sioux Falls (again, in a way, can't blame them). But they seemed to throw up any rationale for doubting Augie, and I guess they were hoping the endowment issue would be one that stuck in the public's mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
                      I have one last thought on this whole Summit League situation and then I'll move on and talk about something else, like, Did Matt Cartwright receive an extra year because of a medical hardship? And, can we keep Parker Fox under three dunks per game next season?

Anyway, one thing that was stated by Douple and echoed on the Dakota school message boards and by some media members concerned the size of Augie's endowment. Based on a quick check of U.S. News' website, and assuming the numbers are accurate, two current Summit League members -- Oral Roberts and Western Illinois -- had smaller endowments, and one -- Omaha -- had an endowment roughly the same size as Augie's, as of 2018. Either size of endowment matters or it doesn't.

I'm guessing the schools were content with 10 members (can't blame them) and USD and SDSU are not keen on adding a member in Sioux Falls (again, in a way, can't blame them). But they seemed to throw up any rationale for doubting Augie, and I guess they were hoping the endowment issue would be one that stuck in the public's mind.
                      WIU likely won't have a budget within the next 20 years if they keep it up.

Comment

• Congrats to Coach Billeter: https://mobile.twitter.com/AugieMens...50225540644872

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                          Augie made an offer to Devon House a 6'7ish BIG from Illinois.

https://twitter.com/devonhouse2323/s...373995521?s=19

This short highlight clip is delightful even by highlight clip standards, sign me up

https://twitter.com/devonhouse2323/s...151299585?s=19
                          Devon House ends up taking what appears to be a fairly late offer from future Summit League member UMKC: https://twitter.com/devonhouse2323/s...85978185584642

Comment

Devon House ends up taking what appears to be a fairly late offer from future Summit League member UMKC: https://twitter.com/devonhouse2323/s...85978185584642

Comment

• Reusse chimes in on Augie's attempt to move to D1.

https://www.startribune.com/augustan...ack/571242322/

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                                Reusse chimes in on Augie's attempt to move to D1.

https://www.startribune.com/augustan...ack/571242322/
                                I'm so tired of people commenting on Augustana's endowment without acknowledging that we have a bigger endowment than two of the school's already in the Summit and a bigger endowment than IPFW, who just finished its last year in the Summit. It's not like we are a high school trying to compete with high major D1s. I know we don't have the same financial resources as St. Thomas, but we're not even the worst in the Summit if we would get in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X