Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    I stumbled upon a truly amazing fact today. This season the Augie men are 2-10 when the opponent makes more 3s than they do and 14-0, FOURTEEN and ZERO, when they make more 3s than their opponent.
    Oh how we miss Matt Cartwright, wishing he is granted a medical redshirt.

Comment

• Good luck to my Augie friends this evening

Comment

• Fun to see the Vikes rolling again. I was certain we were done tonight when we were down 12 with roughly 4:00 to go, but they didn't give up. Augie put on a press in the final minutes that seemed to really throw off the Mustangs.

There was a time a few weeks ago when I was not looking forward to the NSIC Tournament. Now I'm a little more curious about what the Vikes will be able to do. That being said, other than 2014-15 and 2015-16, I don't recall the NSIC Tourney being a friend to us, so I'm not going to get too overconfident (shocking, I know).

Really hoping for a strong postseason run for the Vikings.

Comment

• Comment

• As I posted all the way back in the week 6 chat thread:

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            I would be very, very happy to play NSU again in the NSIC Tournament if we have the opportunity. Hopefully by then we'll have fixed whatever malaise is screwing up this team right now.
            Here's to hoping I don't regret making that wish.

Comment

• Just under 17 hours until tip and several thoughts are rolling around my mind:
              -Riemersma vs Fox presents players of similar size who play the game violently different, both played well in the first game and whomever wins this matchup should provide a definitive edge to their team.
              -Will Augie find a way to counter Fox's weak side shot block attempts? Shot fakes and pinpoint passing will be vital.
              -King vs LeBrun has the feel of a master vs apprentice type matchup. Lebrun's rising like a Phoenix has been a huge part of Augie's six game winning streak
              -Will Matt Todd find a way to be mediocre defensively instead of an absolute train wreck? Teams are very aware of his shortcomings so he'll get plenty of action. Jameson Bryan is the security blanket if Tom wants to go small like he did vs St Cloud.
              -Can Texas Tom improve to 5-0 vs Northern in the NSIC Tourney?
              -How close to capacity will it get? Between the delightful weather, family friendly start time, and two rabid fan bases the ingredients are in play for a YUGE crowd.
              Last edited by Augieholic; 02-29-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                Just under 17 hours until tip and several thoughts are rolling around my mind:
                -Riemersma vs Fox presents players of similar size who play the game violently different, both played well in the first game and whomever wins this matchup should provide a definitive edge to their team.
                -Will Augie find a way to counter Fox's weak side shot block attempts? Shot fakes and pinpoint passing will be vital.
                -King vs LeBrun has the feel of a master vs apprentice type matchup. Lebrun's rising like a Phoenix has been a huge part of Augie's size game losing streak
                -Will Matt Todd find a way to be mediocre defensively instead of an absolute train wreck? Teams are very aware of his shortcomings so he'll get plenty of action. Jameson Bryan is the security blanket if Tom wants to go small like he did vs St Cloud.
                -Can Texas Tom improve to 5-0 vs Northern in the NSIC Tourney?
                -How close to capacity will it get? Between the delightful weather, family friendly start time, and two rabid fan bases the ingredients are in play for a YUGE crowd.
                Riemersma is one of a few big guys in nsic that may be able to stick with fox. Both guys are long and mobile. Northern is the favorite, but if reimersma can match fox and with the home court advantage...who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Riemersma is one of a few big guys in nsic that may be able to stick with fox. Both guys are long and mobile. Northern is the favorite, but if reimersma can match fox and with the home court advantage...who knows.
                  Haven't you heard? I'll point you to Thunder's comment in the round 1 thread to remind you...

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                  Excited for the Wolves to play on our second home court.

Comment

• Probably some truth in that statement...we all know nsu will have a couple fans at that game.

Comment

• Random post-game thoughts from yesterday:

1. The last defensive stand was what a friend would call a cluster. (He uses the word a lot, and usually not by itself.) Re-watching it, it appears at least three Augie players were confused about what to do. And as much as it pains me to say it, it was the correct call. It was a block. Refs can't swallow the whistle on that one.

2. I thought every one of Dykman's three-point attempts was a good shot for him. He makes half of those in his sleep. He just had an off day. It happens.

3. The final play was, um, puzzling. Why not fire a pass to a flashing big just short of midcourt and then have him dish it to a streaking shooter along the sidelines. At least you give yourself a chance of something toward the basket. A three-quarters court lob with Parker Fox waiting at the other end had lower odds than a hope and a prayer.

4. I was interested to read in the Argus game story that Billeter doesn't plan to bring in any transfers or other recruits for next season (besides the already committed Akoi Akoi). Just hope Cartwright is healthy, as well as Trevor Hanson and that he returns to his freshman season promise. I think he could be a heck of a player.

5. Northern and Mankato will be the teams to beat next year, assuming they remain intact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
                        Random post-game thoughts from yesterday:

1. The last defensive stand was what a friend would call a cluster. (He uses the word a lot, and usually not by itself.) Re-watching it, it appears at least three Augie players were confused about what to do. And as much as it pains me to say it, it was the correct call. It was a block. Refs can't swallow the whistle on that one.

2. I thought every one of Dykman's three-point attempts was a good shot for him. He makes half of those in his sleep. He just had an off day. It happens.

3. The final play was, um, puzzling. Why not fire a pass to a flashing big just short of midcourt and then have him dish it to a streaking shooter along the sidelines. At least you give yourself a chance of something toward the basket. A three-quarters court lob with Parker Fox waiting at the other end had lower odds than a hope and a prayer.

4. I was interested to read in the Argus game story that Billeter doesn't plan to bring in any transfers or other recruits for next season (besides the already committed Akoi Akoi). Just hope Cartwright is healthy, as well as Trevor Hanson and that he returns to his freshman season promise. I think he could be a heck of a player.

5. Northern and Mankato will be the teams to beat next year, assuming they remain intact.
                        1) Totally agree on the final defensive play. Unfortunate confusion on several players, particularly Schaefer getting juked out of his socks. Head was in the right place trying to take a charge, but I don't know many Augie fans even that would argue it was the wrong call.

2) I figured Dykman would have to get a redemption make on a three toward the end at some point. It was kind of astounding that he didn't.

3) I mentioned this on the other thread, but Billeter said on the post-game radio interview that the refs didn't tell him they were adding .7 to the clock until the players were already out on the court. He said he kept asking and no one would tell him, then they finally walked over and said it would be 2.7 after the huddle had broken. At that point the Vikes were out of timeouts, and he didn't want to try to redraw the play, but he did tell Fylling he would've done something different if he had known from the start that it would be 2.7 and not 2.0.

4) I would imagine a healthy Cartwright and Hanson back and only losing Keeve, Behrends, and some of the non-playing seniors could have us in a pretty good spot if everyone gets healthy. Then again, I would've expected we'd be top of the conference this year and it didn't work out, so hopefully everyone comes back ready to go. I also think specifically for Matt Todd, a full spring offseason, summer, and fall preseason, along with having a full regular season under his belt, could be hugely helpful in really having him ready to lead the team next year instead of just being a streaky scoring threat. Plus, he could try to spend a few months in the weight room this summer, which wouldn't hurt. But I would imagine transferring in from a JUCO program that doesn't have the same kind of system and consistency in place as a program like Augie does would probably be a pretty tough transition for your first year in a new program. If he commits to really learning and growing this summer, he could be one of those kids that has a huge jump between this year and next year.

5) I doubt Moorhead123 is thrilled that you left his Dragons out of that conversation. Pretty soon he'll be anti-NSU4LIFE and anti-you.
                        Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-02-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• After the game, on the radio I thought Billeter said he would bring in a couple of transfers. I must have heard him wrong. Anybody else remember what he stated to Jeff Fylling?

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                            After the game, on the radio I thought Billeter said he would bring in a couple of transfers. I must have heard him wrong. Anybody else remember what he stated to Jeff Fylling?
                            I didn't hear what was said on the radio. I was going off this part of the Argus story.

Comment

• I think there are two ways to look at this Augustana season:

Glass half empty:
                              • The offense, which was built around Cartwright, melted down in the middle of the season before a slight resurgence in February.
                              • Adam Dykman's offense regressed in his return from injury and he still struggles to stay out of foul trouble
                              • Michael Schaefer's offense fell off a cliff while his shot selection and defense remain mediocre at best
                              • Matt Todd provided real offensive juice that was badly needed, but his defensive struggles cancel almost all of that out on a nightly basis, opponents picked on him at will down the stretch
                              • Jameson Bryan lost all confidence in his offense in January when the team needed him the most
                              • Tyler Riemersma seemed to shoot roughly 33% in the restricted area but some of that is probably due to the offensive and defensive load he carried every night. Also his aversion to jump shots hurt the already cramped offensive spacing.
                              Glass half full:
                              • The offense was obviously structured to utilize Cartwright's shooting prowess, as well as the threat of this ability and losing that, and then expecting it to come back before losing it again, in the middle of the season was more than a young team could be expected to overcome
                              • Cartwright had clearly ascended to another level: 23.5 ppg on 54/44/100 FG/3pt/FT shooting in the four games he was fully healthy
                              • Tyler Riemersma proved himself as a top tier two way big man in D2 and with more experience should score better in the restricted area next season.
                              • Dylan LeBrun took the leap and after it was clear Cartwright was done for the year he put the team on his back while shooting 45/40/82 and playing great defense on the wing
                              • Isaac Fink encountered normal freshmen bumps and bruises along the way, but his shooting is undeniably real and showed up in tense games vs UIU, Mankato, and USF
                              • I have no real statistical data to support this but I love Bennett Otto's game, he seems to have a versatile skill set on both ends and getting playing experience this year will only benefit him in the future.
                              • In November, December, and February the team was 15-4 vs D2 competition and 2-1 vs Regionally Ranked teams while 23.5 ppg sat on the bench with perfectly coiffed hair and attire most of the time.
                              • The team shot 43% FG and 36% from 3 and had a 1.10 O Rating and 1.02 D Rating for the season. In Nov/Dec/Feb vs D2 competition they were 44% FG/ 39% from 3, 1.13 O Rating and 1.02 D Rating. In January they were 39% FG / 28% 3pt and had a 1.03 O Rating and 1.08 D Rating. They had 9 games in January that ranged from mediocre to abysmal and while it was painful to watch, they obviously pulled themselves out of it and that bodes well for next season.
                              The end result of this season was undeniably disappointing and there is no way to sugar coat it. Having said that, I still believe the last 9 games, a healthy Cartwright, and off season development with this core will mean a return to relevance next season. As Augustana stares down its last season in Division II, the chase for conference titles, Regional berths, and meaningful March basketball should return with haste.
                              Last edited by Augieholic; 03-05-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Have to say I appreciate Augieholic analytical prowess. Teams will bow out of D2 with heads held high next season.

Believe it was halftime of the AU victory over SCSU, Fylling interviewed Josh Morten who stated every is going as expected and funding is falling in place. As he has said all along that the end of the year we will learn more.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X