Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was reading on another site that UMKC claims it will save a million dollars by rejoining the Summit and not having to fly to WAC sites.

Also says that Northern Kentucky saves $250,000 by leaving the A-Sun for the Horizon.

I don't understand why more conferences (and schools) don't keep that in mind. CUSA and the Sunbelt are two that come to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      Reusse chimes in on Augie's attempt to move to D1.

https://www.startribune.com/augustan...ack/571242322/
      Definitely some lowercase "j" journalism by Reusse to note that SDSU and USD's "investment" in athletic facilities without mentioning that its funded by taxpayers. Or for failing to compare Augie's current athletic budget to that of SDSU/USD at the end of their D2 classification. Or point out how Augie's basketball attendance is on par with either school despite not playing on campus. But hey, at least they put Twin Cities native Al Richter in the photo. Good job, good effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Definitely some lowercase "j" journalism by Reusse to note that SDSU and USD's "investment" in athletic facilities without mentioning that its funded by taxpayers. Or for failing to compare Augie's current athletic budget to that of SDSU/USD at the end of their D2 classification. Or point out how Augie's basketball attendance is on par with either school despite not playing on campus. But hey, at least they put Twin Cities native Al Richter in the photo. Good job, good effort.
        Can you elaborate on the funded by tax payers portion?

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Can you elaborate on the funded by tax payers portion?
          Dana Dykhouse Stadium was built with $2MM of university funds and $36MM of bonds issued through the state funded SD Building Authority per

http://danajdykhousestadium.com/project-details/

USD's basketball arena and Dakota Dome enhancements were/are funded "through bonds, USD funds..."

https://apnews.com/27f19ca6b40d4addb2638205af15016f

Obviously there is a heavy private donor component to both but for Ruesse to ignore the public vs private school difference in fundraising is a noticeable oversight to me.

Comment

Dana Dykhouse Stadium was built with $2MM of university funds and $36MM of bonds issued through the state funded SD Building Authority per

http://danajdykhousestadium.com/project-details/

USD's basketball arena and Dakota Dome enhancements were/are funded "through bonds, USD funds..."

https://apnews.com/27f19ca6b40d4addb2638205af15016f

Obviously there is a heavy private donor component to both but for Ruesse to ignore the public vs private school difference in fundraising is a noticeable oversight to me.
            Interesting. That is crazy. Out of Northern's $100 million dollars in projects over a ten year span or whatever, I am pretty sure the city of Aberdeen committed $5 million over a span of so many years, I think.

I always thought buildings just like athletic scholarships, had to be privately funded in South Dakota but I guess not.

Comment

I can't believe the Strib paid him to write this. I know he's a columnist and not a reporter, but there is no original reporting in this piece. Literally nothing new. And as commentary, it isn't anywhere close to clever, insightful or even witty. As a former journalist, I consider this borderline unpublishable. Maybe he's working for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post

I can't believe the Strib paid him to write this. I know he's a columnist and not a reporter, but there is no original reporting in this piece. Literally nothing new. And as commentary, it isn't anywhere close to clever, insightful or even witty. As a former journalist, I consider this borderline unpublishable. Maybe he's working for free.
                If one doesn't understand Patrick's work after this many years I dont know what to tell you I guess. He is known as a curmudgeon for a reason, lol

Comment

• Augie's 2020-21 schedule has been released: https://goaugie.com/news/2020/6/25/m...-unveiled.aspx

Comment

• Augie's last night sleeping in a hotel will be Jan. 22, wow

Comment

• Mavs only play Augie once- in Sioux Falls.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Mavs only play Augie once- in Sioux Falls.
                        They play at Mankato on jan. 23

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

They play at Mankato on jan. 23
                          I must be on drugs. I thought I saw MSU @ Augie on Friday Jan 21. Not even close. I must have picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            Augie's last night sleeping in a hotel will be Jan. 22, wow
                            Counterpoint: Augie has one home game between December 1st and January 28th. Thats 8 of 9 games on the road.

Comment

• With today's news out of Marshall, Augie now has lost out on all three recruiting targets for the class of 2021, at least those tracked by the Verbal Commits website:
                              • Paul Bruns, the PG from Dakota Valley High School who committed to North Dakota.
                              • Jake Layman, the PF from Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School in Iowa who committed to Southwest Minnesota State.
                              • Will Tschetter, the stud PF from Stewartsville High School in Minnesota who has moved way beyond Augie's grasp and is receiving a passel of P5 offers, including one from a school about 30 miles from my house, Virginia Tech.
                              I'm sure the coaching staff has backup plans, but I do wonder how much the DI talk has affected recruiting, if at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
                                With today's news out of Marshall, Augie now has lost out on all three recruiting targets for the class of 2021, at least those tracked by the Verbal Commits website:
                                • Paul Bruns, the PG from Dakota Valley High School who committed to North Dakota.
                                • Jake Layman, the PF from Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School in Iowa who committed to Southwest Minnesota State.
                                • Will Tschetter, the stud PF from Stewartsville High School in Minnesota who has moved way beyond Augie's grasp and is receiving a passel of P5 offers, including one from a school about 30 miles from my house, Virginia Tech.
                                I'm sure the coaching staff has backup plans, but I do wonder how much the DI talk has affected recruiting, if at all.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X