Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucks to end the season on such a punch in the gut. I thought when Riemersma hit that jumper it was the basketball gods' way of saying, "This one is going Augie's way." Then NSU started hitting 3s in overtime and making 9 out of their 10 free throws and we all realized that clearly wasn't going to be the case. Kind of felt like that was the way the whole season went. If we didn't win, we played just well enough to lose really close ones. Hopefully that experience this year helps these guys grow and be more prepared to handle end-of-game situations with poise. I'd also love to see just one guy step up as an "I want the ball in the clutch and I'm going to make sure we win this game no matter what" type of guy. Maybe that would've been Cartwright if he were healthy, but we really needed it all year long regardless. Hoping someone fills that role next year.

Despite the fact that the season didn't go the way we hoped, I won't be crushed if everyone on our roster decides to come back. Adding in a healthy Cartwright and current redshirted freshman Akoi Akoi (along with our two incoming high school players) could lead to a really fun season next year. Then again, everyone else is coming back too (other than the already announced outgoing transfers), so maybe next season will be just as tough as this season.

Comment

• I know hindsight is 20/20, but if Cartwright, AJ and Trevor Hanson were still were on hand, this would have been an unbelievable team. The future is always bright for Augustana with Tom Billeter as a head coach.

Comment

• In less depressing news than ending our season on another "could've beaten them" game against NSU, congrats to incoming Viking Zac Johnson on hitting the game-winning 3-pointer to send his River Falls (WI) team to the state tournament last night:

He ended the game with 28 points, 8-13 from three, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. Looking forward to having that level of shooting on our roster next year. Maybe with him and Cartwright, we'll get back to our old ways of shooting 40+ % from three as a team.

Comment

• With all due respect to Matt Todd, this news does not upset me.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommitsD2/...990426115?s=19

Comment

• Bummer in the sense that it didn't work out. Seeing his high school stats and everything, I was hopeful he'd come in and be a serviceable replacement for Plitzuweit a couple of years ago, but that obviously didn't work out. Hope he lands in a place that's a good fit for him.

Comment

• So as of right now our starter at the point is Bennett Otto unless Bryan comes back. That's concerning to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by AU Vikings View Post
                So as of right now our starter at the point is Bennett Otto unless Bryan comes back. That's concerning to me.
                We have roughly five full months with a transfer portal that is currently full of unprecedented numbers of transfers. I am not overly concerned at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by AU Vikings View Post
                  So as of right now our starter at the point is Bennett Otto unless Bryan comes back. That's concerning to me.
                  Everyone I talked to at Augie games this season expects all of the seniors to return next season.

Comment

• Rice announced that they want to increase its student body to 9,000 and to expand the campus footprint as well.

Made me think about AU's plan to expand. Any updates on that?

Comment

• As NSU4LIFE has pointed out, I'm guilty of getting overexcited about recruits (and highlight tapes make every kid look like an all-star) so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed incoming Viking Angelo Winkel's senior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8512773...8e6813b4f552b9

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                        As NSU4LIFE has pointed out, I'm guilty of getting overexcited about recruits (and highlight tapes make every kid look like an all-star) so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed incoming Viking Angelo Winkel's senior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8512773...8e6813b4f552b9
                        And yes, I'm aware that he competes at the lowest level of Iowa high school basketball, so it's not like he's doing this against future D1 players or anything, but I am less impressed with his dunks over 6'1" kids and more impressed with his athleticism on some of those drives to the basket and coast-to-coast plays. For a 6'9" center, it's not too shabby.

Comment

As NSU4LIFE has pointed out, I'm guilty of getting overexcited about recruits (and highlight tapes make every kid look like an all-star) so take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed incoming Viking Angelo Winkel's senior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8512773...8e6813b4f552b9
                          Haha, don't let me be a thief of joy.

On your other message, I feel that sometimes the best college athletes can come out of small schools or lower classes. Some of those kids are really just showing natural talent and in some cases not exactly coached up. Add in better coaching, maturing bodies, etc, it can sometimes really turn out better than some super hyped, top class kid.
                          Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 04-01-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Angelo's footwork appears to be very good and he runs well for a big man. Could he be the next DJ? I hope so.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Angelo's footwork appears to be very good and he runs well for a big man. Could he be the next DJ? I hope so.
                              Two words - "Transfer Portal"

Comment

• Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Two words - "Transfer Portal"
                                A few years ago it would have seemed ridiculous for D2 teams to need to win national championships with freshman phenoms too, but (other than Northwest Missouri State) it seems most teams will have to make their biggest strides when their best players are young before they transfer up to the next level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X