Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Anyone want to jump in with predictions for tonight? As much as I'd love to see the Vikes pull another Iowa-style upset, it's safe to say there's about a 0.00001% chance of that happening. My guess is Duke wins by a clean 30, possibly even 40, somewhere in the realm of 101-65. I will be pretty happy if the Vikes keep it under 30, but I'm not expecting that. Also hoping nobody gets injured. The Vikes have had a few guys banged up earlier in the year, so keeping everyone as healthy as possible would be nice.
    136-47 :)
    Last edited by simple as a $3 bill; 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM. Reason: forgot my smiley

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
      136-47 :)
      I didn't even disagree when you hadn't added the smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
        I'll actually be pulling for for Augie tonight.
        +1

Only time you'll hear me say Go Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by Husky View Post
          +1

Only time you'll hear me say Go Augie.
          I did pull for them in the Elite 8. Wanted them to bring a natty to the NSIC.

Of course, I do hate Duke.

Comment

Spencer, Beyer, and Warren might not be completely over matched from a physical stand point but athletically the whole team is fighting a battle that was lost at birth. Anything less than a 40 point loss is cause for celebration in Sioux Falls.

I'll take Duke 93-50.

Comment

I've never even heard of this Division II school Augie is struggling against. A down year?

Comment

This is...not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  I've never even heard of this Division II school Augie is struggling against. A down year?
                  You might know it better by it's pre-1924 name. Trinity College.

Comment

Held em under a hundy, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Comment

Some thoughts on last night. It was definitely rough, but I was honestly expecting a loss in the 35-40 point range anyway, so it wasn't a total shock. It's been awhile since the Vikings have been beaten that soundly, so hopefully it was a nice wake-up call, particularly for the guys who have only been a part of the 65-5 stretch over the past two years. To be honest, I'd rather Duke put the hurt on us like this than come out next weekend and blow one or both games against our in-region D2 opponents down in Oklahoma. No need to bust out a repeat of Washburn last year due to overconfidence.

Kind of hard to break down the "good things" we saw from the Vikes since the athleticism and talent disparity was pretty vast, but there were at least a few things...

1) The Vikes were still able to get a lot of open looks from three. While they unfortunately weren't hitting them last night, I hope they'll get more comfortable shooting as the year goes on. It was good to at least see Jordan Spencer finding those guys for open perimeter shots, even if we weren't knocking them down.

2) Busack was our leading scorer. When it came out that he was going to be on the Augie roster next year, I was slightly skeptical based on his history, but if his head is on straight, it's pretty clear we're going to need him this season if we want to stay competitive. He had some foul trouble, but that's to be expected when the team you're playing has 8 McDonald's All-Americans currently on its roster. A little bit harder to stay in front of those guys than pretty much anyone they'll be facing at the D2 level this year (except maybe Justin Pitts).

3) Lucas Walford had a really solid showing for a true freshman playing his first college game of his career against the #1 D1 team in the country at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Two pretty nasty dunks, two free throws and a 3 to go with a few rebounds isn't a bad first game. Hopefully he continues to develop because unless Kerkman gets healed up pretty quickly, we will need Lucas. Frankly, if this isn't just a one-hit wonder of a game, we might need him whether or not Kerkman heals up quickly. (On a side note, Kerkman was the only person who didn't play in the game. I'm assuming that's still due to his injury.)

On a related note, I've watched the replay of Walford's tip dunk a few times on ESPN3 (it's archived, for anyone interested), and it might've been the best overall dunk of the game. Gotta be kind of fun to be able to say you dunked on Duke twice at Cameron Indoor during your career. Who knows, maybe we can win another NC in the next few years and he'll have a chance in a couple seasons to add a few more dunks. :)

(For anyone pulling up the repeat of the game on ESPN3, Walford's dunks came with around 4:40 to go in the 1st half and around 9:02 to go in the 2nd half.)

4) Nobody got hurt. This was possibly my biggest concern going into this game. Even if we'd managed to keep it within 25 or 20, it wouldn't have been worth it to see Jordan, Adam, etc. go down with an injury. With how important our starters in particular will be for this year's team, I'll take a 53-point loss with no injuries and still feel ok about it in the end.

5) Program-wise, the Vikes did get a TON of nice coverage on ESPN3, especially early in the game. The announcers were really good about talking about Augie's program, the success we've had, the talent we recently lost, etc. As the game went on, it predictably got to be more and more pro-Duke (not that they had a lot more they could say about Augie after a while anyway), but the broadcast crew was well-informed and very complimentary of the program as a whole.

6) The announcers consistently referred to Austin Saugstad as Austin "Swagstad," which might be the best accidental nickname I've heard in a long, long time.

Overall, I hope the guys had a fun experience. Based on what we lost from last year's team, this went only slightly worse than I'd expected, but not by much. What matters more is how the Vikes get better from this and how they prepare to get a couple in-region wins down in Oklahoma next weekend. Very, very glad basketball season is back underway.

Comment

Did you see the "where are they now" part where some of the graduated Augie players were playing in Europe, but Spice is home on the pig farm. They were making a big deal about that. Kind of like when Bjorklund for NDSU beat Notre Dame and his coach said he just gets the job done, like when he is home slopping the hogs. Evidently big city people get a kick out of that, as if they can't imagine that you probably have to do chores twice a day. Everyone should have to slop hogs at some time in their life- it makes them appreciate bacon more.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          Everyone should have to slop hogs at some time in their life.
                          I didn't truly discover who I was until I slopped a hog.

Comment

One aspect of this year's team I'm excited to watch is the evolution of Jordan Spencer from supporting cast to featured player. His responsibilities over the last two years have been: dribble, puncture the D, make the obvious pass or take the wide open shot. Naturally there are probably some who think his accolades for this exemplary production were simply a byproduct of the Jansen-Schilling-Richter ecosystem.

Now that those scrubs have moved onto the professional ranks of basketball and slop we will be able to see Spenny stretch his talents while getting vastly more attention from the opposition. His performance against the Blue Devils was just priming the pump: 4pts-4reb-7assists in 38 minutes. Given who was guarding him (Matt Jones, who? Matt Jones and Luke Kennard) the fact that he managed to be productively efficient, with nearly a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, is a dangerous sign for the rest of Augie's opponents.

He has the speed and ball handling toggles to get by anyone in the league which should result in 10-15 points per night on primarily layups and FTs. That's before we mention how he's a career 43% marksman from downtown, however this should drop given the increased interference he'll encounter. Having said that, even if he's still in the mid 30s that's another half step defenses have to step out and contest which uncorks the lane behind them.

All of this is to say that I think conditions are ripe for him to average 12 points/ 7 assists /5 rebounds. If he does this while helping keep Augie in the NSIC race I think he's a sure fire All NSIC first teamer and a plausible NSIC POY candidate.

Comment

I agree with that take Augieholic

Comment

Here's the GoAugie.com release on the early 2017 signings for the Vikes:
                                http://goaugie.com/news/2016/11/10/m...r-2017-18.aspx

Men's basketball inks three high school standouts for 2017-18
                                Here are some Twitter photos of Augie's early signings from the men's basketball Twitter account:

Last edited by MrAugustana; 11-10-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X