Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Last night was the first time I've seen Trevor Hanson play. the young man got a big frame with a couple years of weight training he will be a load to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      Last night was the first time I've seen Trevor Hanson play. the young man got a big frame with a couple years of weight training he will be a load to handle.
      So what you're saying is that he has a Div. I type body.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
        I'll always remember you this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          I'll always remember you this way.
          As long as you remember me. :)

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
            Unlike you I'm not a basketball official that studies young sweaty men's bodies up close and personal, perhaps with some pleasure. Yes I hope he plays like a D1 guy in the future like so many Vikings before him. ;)

Comment

Here's confirmation that Dykman is out for the year with a torn labrum:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqM5QRHB...=1swicpeeoy5kx

I believe the last Augie player to lose a year to a shoulder injury was Elite 8 MOP Al Richter.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                Here's confirmation that Dykman is out for the year with a torn labrum:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqM5QRHB...=1swicpeeoy5kx

I believe the last Augie player to lose a year to a shoulder injury was Elite 8 MOP Al Richter.
                Well...that super duper sucks. I believe that means we officially have no upperclassmen on this roster with NSIC or Division 2 experience. In terms of guys who will actually play, it'll be all freshmen, sophomores, and a lone junior juco transfer off the bench.

Comment

Despite the bad news already posted about Dykman being out for the year, there's some positive news with the official news release on Augie's three 2019 signings: https://goaugie.com/news/2018/11/15/...019-class.aspx

Comment

This weekend was a reminder of how much less fun the boards are when your team doesn't win. It's always easier to come on and be excited when you've picked up a couple of weekend wins. Surprising the Vikes lost on Saturday, but I have a feeling it won't be the last time the Vikes split this season. So far this year I'm mainly taking both wins and losses with a grain of salt. While I love (love) the potential of this team down the line, there are definitely going to be games this season where Viking fans are scratching their heads and asking, "How in the world did we lose that one?"

What's really, really fascinating about this group is that, when you look at minutes per game so far this season (of guys who are actually playing and not cleanup time at the end of a game), this is how it breaks down:

Freshmen: 53%
                    Sophomores: 41%
                    Juniors: 6%
                    Seniors: 0%

I'm also bad at math, so someone should correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I know we've had some teams in the past that were young, but I don't know if the Vikes have ever had a team this underclassmen-driven. Needless to say, some freshmen are definitely getting some baptism by fire experience this season. I think on those nights when we upset a Mankato or St. Cloud it's going to be "Holy crap, imagine when these guys are juniors and seniors." And then nights when we lose to Minot or Crookston it will be, "Holy crap, I wish we had a couple of juniors or seniors."

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Freshmen: 53%
                      Sophomores: 41%
                      Juniors: 6%
                      Seniors: 0%

I'm also bad at math, so someone should correct me on that if I'm wrong.
                      Math was my worst subject in school, but if AU has no seniors then yes, 0% would be correct.

Comment

Cool story on Augie JV-turned-varsity player Zach Scholten: https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ty/2099149002/

Comment

This was a really weird weekend as an Augie fan.

For the majority of the second half of the Winona game, as the Vikes were going down 5, 8, 10 points, I was thinking, Well, this is the downside of being so young. They're just not going to get the lead back against these guys. Then, a couple of minutes and a couple of big shots later, we're up 5 and not looking back. It was almost surreal. The game ended and I just looked over at my wife and said, "How did we end up winning that game?" (She wasn't really watching, so she didn't have an answer for me, but it was a rhetorical question anyway.)

Then, the next night, the Vikes played better in Fayette than I remember them playing in UIU's gym a long time.

I was just hoping we would split this weekend after dropping the home game to Wayne, so it was a pleasant surprise to come away with two wins on a road trip that hasn't always been the friendliest to the Vikes.

This is a really confusing team, just in the sense that I could see us going 2-0 this weekend just as easily as I could see us going 0-2. But for being a squad with essentially no juniors or seniors playing big minutes, I'll take a weekend like this past weekend any time Augie can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            This was a really weird weekend as an Augie fan.

For the majority of the second half of the Winona game, as the Vikes were going down 5, 8, 10 points, I was thinking, Well, this is the downside of being so young. They're just not going to get the lead back against these guys. Then, a couple of minutes and a couple of big shots later, we're up 5 and not looking back. It was almost surreal. The game ended and I just looked over at my wife and said, "How did we end up winning that game?" (She wasn't really watching, so she didn't have an answer for me, but it was a rhetorical question anyway.)

Then, the next night, the Vikes played better in Fayette than I remember them playing in UIU's gym a long time.

I was just hoping we would split this weekend after dropping the home game to Wayne, so it was a pleasant surprise to come away with two wins on a road trip that hasn't always been the friendliest to the Vikes.

This is a really confusing team, just in the sense that I could see us going 2-0 this weekend just as easily as I could see us going 0-2. But for being a squad with essentially no juniors or seniors playing big minutes, I'll take a weekend like this past weekend any time Augie can get it.
                            My thoughts are that we are getting out of this young team what we expected, two road wins without Adam Dykman or A.J. Plitzuweit. All the freshmen are playing well on the court and really seem to be comfortable as a unit. To me Trevor Hanson is the surprise of all, often big men out high school take a couple years to develop, Trevor is draining big shots and a big body. Tyler Riemersma is everything expected of him.

Comment

Matt Zimmer has sent out a tweet implying an athletic department meeting tonight is taking place. He says D1 is happening. Any confirmation?

Comment

Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
                                Matt Zimmer has sent out a tweet implying an athletic department meeting tonight is taking place. He says D1 is happening. Any confirmation?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X