• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wscsuperfan
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Any specific reason why you feel they'll transition so quickly? Everything put out there by Augie has had a focused, unhurried feel to it.
    Just a gut feeling

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    They will be in transition before 20-21 IMO
    Any specific reason why you feel they'll transition so quickly? Everything put out there by Augie has had a focused, unhurried feel to it.

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied

Looks like Augie's last year in the NSIC will be 2020-2021, aka when AJ, Schaefer, Hanson, and LeBrun are juniors and Dykman, Cartwright, and Bryan are seniors.

https://twitter.com/ArgusSports/stat...075081731?s=19
    They will be in transition before 20-21 IMO

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Looks like Augie's last year in the NSIC will be 2020-2021, aka when AJ, Schaefer, Hanson, and LeBrun are juniors and Dykman, Cartwright, and Bryan are seniors.

https://twitter.com/ArgusSports/stat...075081731?s=19

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

Just because Augie is a powerhouse at the D2 level....they won't sniff championships in D1
    It's possible, although may not probable, they could become noteworthy in basketball. Schools like Creighton, Marquette and Gonzaga have done it. One common thread though is none have the burden of football. All their chips are on hoops. More likely they battle the likes of SDSU, USD, NDSU etal for an occasional trip to the dance with a probable one game exit. The whole deal is more about public impression, carrying the head a little higher, and benefits to the school in general than national championships. There won't be any more of those.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Think the NSIC tries to find another member to get to 16 again? (I sure hope not)
    My guess is yes.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    They were doormats when they were going up against SDSU and USD because Augie was putting about 3% of the effort into athletics that they are putting into their athletic program now (I don't mean just financially, but in terms of overall focus and emphasis on athletics).

I think having a private, D1 university in a good-sized city will appeal to recruits who don't want to go to a big state school but still want to compete at the D1 level. And it will appeal to parents who want their kid at a smaller, Christian university in a safe town.

The people insisting that Augie will go back to the bottom of the barrel are envisioning a version of Augustana athletics that hasn't existed since the early 2000s, and most likely won't be coming back.
    I remember when I went to Raw back in July, the WWE wouldn't acknowledge they were in Sioux Falls because the city was so small. :D

I kid obviously. I certainly will mourn the loss of a formidable opponent, but I think Sioux Falls will be a good fit for a small D1 program. They seem to have success with their USHL, G-League, and AA sports teams.

Leave a comment:

• MaroonJackRabbits
    replied

I remember the NCC days all to well. Back to being a tadpole in an ocean of sharks.
    Last edited by MaroonJackRabbits; 12-14-2018, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Just because Augie is a powerhouse at the D2 level....they won't sniff championships in D1
    There are no guarantees of championships because those are almost impossible to win at any level, especially in D1. Having said that, the success of this move wont be defined by championships. If/when Augie leverages all of the University and Sioux Falls resources to eventually becomes consistently competitive across the board that will do more for the Augie brand than dozens of D2 championships.

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied

Why?

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

This mentions that the deadline for withdrawing from the NSIC is Dec. 31st.

"What this will do to the football and wrestling programs remains to be seen since the Summit League does not offer either sport and the Vikings would have to either find a conference for them or look at cutting them."

https://www.kdlt.com/2018/12/13/augu...-division-one/

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
    It may work out for them, but the way I see it is they have finally been able to win some championships now that the state universities have been gone and they weren't having to compete with them for recruiting. I don't see how being a doormat in a 1 bid DI league with 1 tournament win in the last 13 years is better than being competitive on a national level year in and year out in DII.
    They were doormats when they were going up against SDSU and USD because Augie was putting about 3% of the effort into athletics that they are putting into their athletic program now (I don't mean just financially, but in terms of overall focus and emphasis on athletics).

I think having a private, D1 university in a good-sized city will appeal to recruits who don't want to go to a big state school but still want to compete at the D1 level. And it will appeal to parents who want their kid at a smaller, Christian university in a safe town.

The people insisting that Augie will go back to the bottom of the barrel are envisioning a version of Augustana athletics that hasn't existed since the early 2000s, and most likely won't be coming back.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    If you think Augie can come up with as many fans at the Summit tourney as SDSU (for example) you are nuts. They will probably out draw them during the season, but postseason suddenly alumni come out of no where and obviously SDSU has more alumni to draw from. We saw it last year with NSU, people who had graduated, couldn't even name a player or two, didn't know we were that good until regional championship, etc. Not that everyone was like that, but the same is true for most schools.
    The Northern crowd at the Pentagon for the Elite 8 was deafening. Just took over the gym. The place was so electric, I almost got a shock.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
    At least if they get into the Summit League they'll still get home town advantage for the conference tournament.
    If you think Augie can come up with as many fans at the Summit tourney as SDSU (for example) you are nuts. They will probably out draw them during the season, but postseason suddenly alumni come out of no where and obviously SDSU has more alumni to draw from. We saw it last year with NSU, people who had graduated, couldn't even name a player or two, didn't know we were that good until regional championship, etc. Not that everyone was like that, but the same is true for most schools.

Leave a comment:

• ddwitte
    replied

At least if they get into the Summit League they'll still get home town advantage for the conference tournament.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X