Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC week 3 chat

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Justin Decker has gone from USD recruit to the "you get to go on when we are up 20 with a minute to go" role. One time deal or a permanent move? He has struggled, no doubt, but I had hoped he, like Evans would be able to salvage at least one good year.
    OK, I will say it.. First, Decker should be getting more time at the 4. Second, if Evans has not had one good year it is because he has not been used/developed correctly. He has essentially the same skill set he has had since being a freshman, though he has gotten stronger no doubt. Right now he is averaging 13 points and 17 minutes per game, shooting nearly 70%. He has one go-to move which is a hook shot either hand, but it is impossible to defend without a double team. He should be taking 10-20 shots per game instead of 5-10. He should be getting lob dunks regularly and should be fed minimum 5 times a game on pick and rolls, which are nearly always open but the guards don't look for the roller, ever. I will also say what most if not every fan would say, if your two of your arguably best players happen to be fives, why not have an offensive set and a zone defense where they both play, especially against teams not shooting well from the perimeter? I think coaches make the game harder that it is sometimes. That being said, I do see the wisdom of running a fresh 5 all the time because it opens up the perimeter. When NSU is hitting 3's they will be virtually impossible to beat. Ask ASU.

Comment

Re: NSIC week 3 chat

Originally posted by benchwarmer75 View Post
      OK, I will say it.. First, Decker should be getting more time at the 4. Second, if Evans has not had one good year it is because he has not been used/developed correctly. He has essentially the same skill set he has had since being a freshman, though he has gotten stronger no doubt. Right now he is averaging 13 points and 17 minutes per game, shooting nearly 70%. He has one go-to move which is a hook shot either hand, but it is impossible to defend without a double team. He should be taking 10-20 shots per game instead of 5-10. He should be getting lob dunks regularly and should be fed minimum 5 times a game on pick and rolls, which are nearly always open but the guards don't look for the roller, ever. I will also say what most if not every fan would say, if your two of your arguably best players happen to be fives, why not have an offensive set and a zone defense where they both play, especially against teams not shooting well from the perimeter? I think coaches make the game harder that it is sometimes. That being said, I do see the wisdom of running a fresh 5 all the time because it opens up the perimeter. When NSU is hitting 3's they will be virtually impossible to beat. Ask ASU.
      That is the thing, our defense is tops or near it in FG and 3fg %. If you had Evans and Doyle both out there for a game against say, Augie? They'd light it up. What we have now is working well, but like you saod, some things to certainly improve on as it seems we are doing the exact same stuff every time all games. The only good thing is that the chemistry and court vision is fantastic on this squad.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X