Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PREDICTIONS - 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll

I never know if this thread should be us message boarders predicting the season outcomes or predicting what the coaches are going to predict in the soon-to-be-released coaches' poll.

What do you guys think?

Rather than predicting either of those two options, I'll throw some general thoughts out.

Teams that I expect to be really good (in no particular order):
    1) St. Cloud - Gage Davis and Brindley Theisen are really good, and other guys on the team are above average.
    2) SMSU - Bruggeman is really good and they have some solid returners.
    3) Mankato - Good transfers (on paper) as always, and a couple of above average returners.

Teams that I expect to be good (in no particular order):
    1) USF - Every year I overhype them and every year they let me down (which I simultaneously enjoy and appreciate). If they aren't a regional contender this year, I don't know that they'll ever be. Guebert and Evans are obviously 1st/2nd-Team all-NSIC caliber players, and they have a few good players back.
    2) Northern - If they can make up for what they lose in Evans and Doyle, they've got good returners and should be solid again.
    3) Winona - It has taken some time, and despite wsufamily's vitriolic opposition, the Warriors seem poised to be a top team again under Eisner. This will be an interesting year for them.
    4) Moorhead - Assuming Moorhead123 is assessing the redshirt freshman class accurately, the Dragons should have some good pieces to start making progress and turning things around compared to the anomaly that was their 2017-18 season.

Teams I could see being better than expected or worse than hoped (in no particular order):
    1) Augustana - Obviously I'm hoping for "better than expected" here, but there are going to be lots of very young guys getting minutes this year, with junior Adam Dykman being the only upperclassman I expect to see get substantial minutes. Otherwise it'll be a freshman/sophomore show for the Vikes, which has the potential to be a good thing in 1-2 years, but not quite as encouraging for this upcoming season (for reference, see Augustana's 2013-14 record compared to the two seasons that followed).
    2) Upper Iowa - A couple of good players including the returning Freshman of the Year and a couple of strong incoming freshmen from what I understand.
    3) Duluth - I'm throwing them in here because they've already had some recruiting success under Wieck this summer and, if he's a good coach, they have a couple of decent returners who might be able to make some noise.
    4) Wayne - I've been a Kendall Jacks fan for a while now, and I think he's one of the more underappreciated players in the conference. This would be a good year for the Wildcats to make some progress and become more of a consistent contender, if the rest of their squad can step up and match the energy/effort Jacks brings.

Teams that might compete some nights, but I don't expect to see finishing in the top half of the standings (in no particular order):
    1) Crookston - Can Cleary keep the Golden Eagles out of the cellar? Just for reference, to reflect the aforementioned anomaly that was the 2017-18 MSU-Moorhead Dragon season, Crookston finished not one but two games higher than Moorhead in conference play on their way to a 5th-place tie in the North Division and tie for 13th in the overall standings.
    2) Minot - Without Tyler Rudolph, I think the Red Beavers might drop back down to their usual region of the standings by the time the season is over.
    3) Bemidji - I just never know what to think about Bemidji anymore. Some years they are a flash in the pan and have key players the keep them higher in the standings and other years they more or less vanish and float around near the bottom. I don't know what to predict for next year.

Teams that I don't expect to see finish in the top 3/4 of the standings (in no particular order):
    1) Mary - I just think Mary is a tough place to win. Other than a Randall Herbst special, the Marauders aren't the best at Marauding. There's always a good chance I'll be proven wrong, but I sort of feel like their recruiting strategy of getting the top 2 or 3 players in North Dakota every year hasn't exactly paid off, but we'll see. (To be clear, I believe Augie's approach of getting the best couple of players from SD the past couple of years will pay off...I clearly have more faith in the high school talent of SD than ND).
    2) Concordia St. Paul - I just haven't seen anything from JJ that makes me think, "Oh, this is the year they turn it around." They beat a reasonably decent D1 team in a non-exhibition match last year and then proceeded to go 4-18 for a dismal last place finish in conference play. Not sure what else there is to say about that.

If anyone wants to do a preseason coaches' poll prediction or anything of that nature, fire away.

Re: PREDICTIONS - 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll

Still think it will be Winona and Mankato at the end of the year in the South.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      Still think it will be Winona and Mankato at the end of the year in the South.
      Why won't this thread allow me to give a thumbs up? Or any other icon?

My two closest drives for potential regional games.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        I never know if this thread should be us message boarders predicting the season outcomes or predicting what the coaches are going to predict in the soon-to-be-released coaches' poll.

What do you guys think?

Rather than predicting either of those two options, I'll throw some general thoughts out.

Teams that I expect to be really good (in no particular order):
        1) St. Cloud - Gage Davis and Brindley Theisen are really good, and other guys on the team are above average.
        2) SMSU - Bruggeman is really good and they have some solid returners.
        3) Mankato - Good transfers (on paper) as always, and a couple of above average returners.

Teams that I expect to be good (in no particular order):
        1) USF - Every year I overhype them and every year they let me down (which I simultaneously enjoy and appreciate). If they aren't a regional contender this year, I don't know that they'll ever be. Guebert and Evans are obviously 1st/2nd-Team all-NSIC caliber players, and they have a few good players back.
        2) Northern - If they can make up for what they lose in Evans and Doyle, they've got good returners and should be solid again.
        3) Winona - It has taken some time, and despite wsufamily's vitriolic opposition, the Warriors seem poised to be a top team again under Eisner. This will be an interesting year for them.
        4) Moorhead - Assuming Moorhead123 is assessing the redshirt freshman class accurately, the Dragons should have some good pieces to start making progress and turning things around compared to the anomaly that was their 2017-18 season.

Teams I could see being better than expected or worse than hoped (in no particular order):
        1) Augustana - Obviously I'm hoping for "better than expected" here, but there are going to be lots of very young guys getting minutes this year, with junior Adam Dykman being the only upperclassman I expect to see get substantial minutes. Otherwise it'll be a freshman/sophomore show for the Vikes, which has the potential to be a good thing in 1-2 years, but not quite as encouraging for this upcoming season (for reference, see Augustana's 2013-14 record compared to the two seasons that followed).
        2) Upper Iowa - A couple of good players including the returning Freshman of the Year and a couple of strong incoming freshmen from what I understand.
        3) Duluth - I'm throwing them in here because they've already had some recruiting success under Wieck this summer and, if he's a good coach, they have a couple of decent returners who might be able to make some noise.
        4) Wayne - I've been a Kendall Jacks fan for a while now, and I think he's one of the more underappreciated players in the conference. This would be a good year for the Wildcats to make some progress and become more of a consistent contender, if the rest of their squad can step up and match the energy/effort Jacks brings.

Teams that might compete some nights, but I don't expect to see finishing in the top half of the standings (in no particular order):
        1) Crookston - Can Cleary keep the Golden Eagles out of the cellar? Just for reference, to reflect the aforementioned anomaly that was the 2017-18 MSU-Moorhead Dragon season, Crookston finished not one but two games higher than Moorhead in conference play on their way to a 5th-place tie in the North Division and tie for 13th in the overall standings.
        2) Minot - Without Tyler Rudolph, I think the Red Beavers might drop back down to their usual region of the standings by the time the season is over.
        3) Bemidji - I just never know what to think about Bemidji anymore. Some years they are a flash in the pan and have key players the keep them higher in the standings and other years they more or less vanish and float around near the bottom. I don't know what to predict for next year.

Teams that I don't expect to see finish in the top 3/4 of the standings (in no particular order):
        1) Mary - I just think Mary is a tough place to win. Other than a Randall Herbst special, the Marauders aren't the best at Marauding. There's always a good chance I'll be proven wrong, but I sort of feel like their recruiting strategy of getting the top 2 or 3 players in North Dakota every year hasn't exactly paid off, but we'll see. (To be clear, I believe Augie's approach of getting the best couple of players from SD the past couple of years will pay off...I clearly have more faith in the high school talent of SD than ND).
        2) Concordia St. Paul - I just haven't seen anything from JJ that makes me think, "Oh, this is the year they turn it around." They beat a reasonably decent D1 team in a non-exhibition match last year and then proceeded to go 4-18 for a dismal last place finish in conference play. Not sure what else there is to say about that.

If anyone wants to do a preseason coaches' poll prediction or anything of that nature, fire away.
        Impressive amount of effort above.

I would move Moorhead down with Augustana. I would move Crookston up in the same grouping with Augustana. Upper Iowa seemed to lose a lot, might drop them down. Here goes my attempt at preseason coaches poll:

1. Mankato - assuming annual transfers are going to be good.
        2. Winona - maybe a touch too high, but like their balance
        3. St. Cloud - may be best in conference if Theisen plays well, Smith maybe best defender in league
        4. Northern - lost a lot , but have a lot of veterans coming back also
        5. Southwest - maybe too low, but want to see there inside play be a factor, Bruggeman will need some help
        6. USF - some real questions after the top two players on team
        7. Crookston - maybe too high, but have some veterans that can definately play
        8. Augustana - maybe better than people think, love this team in one or two years
        9. Moorhead - see Augustana above
        10. Wayne st. - Assume jacks can carry them, not sure about the rest of roster
        11. Duluth - Myer may be one of best players in conference
        12. Bemidgi - do have some good young players, like some of their post players in future
        13. Concordia - staring guards can play with anyone
        14. Minot - lost a lot from very good team last year
        15. Upper Iowa - very young, probably better than this but almost brand new roster
        16. Mary - very young, addition of Dennis Austin should help

Comment

1. St. Cloud - They are going to be very tough to beat this year. Davis and Smith will wreak havoc on the league. National Title aspirations good.
          2. Northern - This is 100% a vote of confidence in Ian Smith. He was NSU's best player in the Elite 8 last year and I believe he will be the best player in the conference this season. The Wolves lost 4 very good players, but I still expect a very good season.
          3. Mankato - Always solid and I expect the transfers to be solid as well.
          4. Southwest - Bruggeman is fun to watch, and frustrating as an opposing fan. It's always "How did he do that???"
          5. USF - Top heavy team, but that is a theme with most teams in the league. And those top two are very good.
          6. Winona - I really don't know much about them, but expect them to be pretty good.
          7. Augie - They will be young, and I wish I could rank them lower but unfortunately I think they are building another really solid team.
          8. Moorhead - Last year was disaster, this year can't possibly be that bad again. Can it???
          9. Upper Iowa - I was very impressed with their young guys last year. This team could cause some trouble for the top teams this year.
          10. Duluth - Does Myer have any help this year?
          11. Wayne
          12. Crookston - How many shots a game does Cleary get up this year?
          13. Bemidji
          14. Minot - They really struggled after a hot start. No Rudolph this year could make it a long cold season in Minot.
          15. Concordia
          16. Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
            1. St. Cloud - They are going to be very tough to beat this year. Davis and Smith will wreak havoc on the league. National Title aspirations good.
            2. Northern - This is 100% a vote of confidence in Ian Smith. He was NSU's best player in the Elite 8 last year and I believe he will be the best player in the conference this season. The Wolves lost 4 very good players, but I still expect a very good season.
            3. Mankato - Always solid and I expect the transfers to be solid as well.
            4. Southwest - Bruggeman is fun to watch, and frustrating as an opposing fan. It's always "How did he do that???"
            5. USF - Top heavy team, but that is a theme with most teams in the league. And those top two are very good.
            6. Winona - I really don't know much about them, but expect them to be pretty good.
            7. Augie - They will be young, and I wish I could rank them lower but unfortunately I think they are building another really solid team.
            8. Moorhead - Last year was disaster, this year can't possibly be that bad again. Can it???
            9. Upper Iowa - I was very impressed with their young guys last year. This team could cause some trouble for the top teams this year.
            10. Duluth - Does Myer have any help this year?
            11. Wayne
            12. Crookston - How many shots a game does Cleary get up this year?
            13. Bemidji
            14. Minot - They really struggled after a hot start. No Rudolph this year could make it a long cold season in Minot.
            15. Concordia
            16. Mary
            Calm down, this team still has A LOT to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              Calm down, this team still has A LOT to prove.
              Simple- I spent a lot of time talking to our mutual friend Barry before the Mav homecoming day. Your name came up!

Comment

This is the year for WSU. They went out got and hired a coach that was good at the NAIA level and he said he had no players when he showed up even though they had 3 1,000 point scorers for him to start with. But he wanted "his guys" so now he has them in a season where the South overall is not as strong as it has been in the past i expect them to win minimum 24 games and make the regional tournament. Anything short would be a failure for him and his staff. They talk the talk now they have the guys so they need to walk the walk. I think they will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
                  This is the year for WSU. They went out got and hired a coach that was good at the NAIA level and he said he had no players when he showed up even though they had 3 1,000 point scorers for him to start with. But he wanted "his guys" so now he has them in a season where the South overall is not as strong as it has been in the past i expect them to win minimum 24 games and make the regional tournament. Anything short would be a failure for him and his staff. They talk the talk now they have the guys so they need to walk the walk. I think they will do it.
                  Right on. This is the year. Experience and it seems like the depth is now there. Few excuses left. It's time to get back to the Regional.

They showed flashes of being really tough last year. With a few new pieces and hopefully some guys back from injury, it could be a fun, fun year.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                    Impressive amount of effort above.

I would move Moorhead down with Augustana. I would move Crookston up in the same grouping with Augustana. Upper Iowa seemed to lose a lot, might drop them down. Here goes my attempt at preseason coaches poll:

1. Mankato - assuming annual transfers are going to be good.
                    2. Winona - maybe a touch too high, but like their balance
                    3. St. Cloud - may be best in conference if Theisen plays well, Smith maybe best defender in league
                    4. Northern - lost a lot , but have a lot of veterans coming back also
                    5. Southwest - maybe too low, but want to see there inside play be a factor, Bruggeman will need some help
                    6. USF - some real questions after the top two players on team
                    7. Crookston - maybe too high, but have some veterans that can definately play
                    8. Augustana - maybe better than people think, love this team in one or two years
                    9. Moorhead - see Augustana above
                    10. Wayne st. - Assume jacks can carry them, not sure about the rest of roster
                    11. Duluth - Myer may be one of best players in conference
                    12. Bemidgi - do have some good young players, like some of their post players in future
                    13. Concordia - staring guards can play with anyone
                    14. Minot - lost a lot from very good team last year
                    15. Upper Iowa - very young, probably better than this but almost brand new roster
                    16. Mary - very young, addition of Dennis Austin should help

Comment

Will be interesting to see on UIU this year. Even though I'm a UIU fan it was a bit of an unknown going into the season with the loss of several seniors and the transfer of Kam Rowan and Dennis Austin. Today they beat Drury at their tournament 83-78. Drury was 21-8 last year and made the NCAA's...not sure what they return from that team, but obviously solid program. The transfer from Moorhead - Chris Olson who sat out last year due to xfer looks solid at PG for UIU. Smoldt has picked up where he left off, was avg. 18 going into today and dropped 20. Smoldt, Okonkwo, Blaue, Williams are returners from last year that saw significant time. Williams put up 29 the other night in a victory over Quincy. Pericles saw spot time last year and has played varying minutes in games thus far. Transfer Kyle Haber from Brown has seen a lot of minutes in early games as well. Cade Moritz is a true freshman 6'8 and has played a lot of minutes and back-up for Okonkwo..has looked very good for a freshman. Jackson Joens was a heralded freshman coming and had not played until today - came in for his first action and went 4-8 from 3pt. land for 12 points and some key buckets down the stretch. The other freshman who has seen time is PG Lucas Duax - believe he started first game, but was injured early and has seen minimal time since then. As always UIU lives/dies by the 3, today they dropped 18 of them and played solid D the last 12 minutes of the game to overcome a 14 point deficit to get the win. I think they will be pretty solid - some new faces, but 4 starters back from last year, Olson/Haber xfers, and a couple freshman contributing should make for an entertaining season!

Comment

right now USF looks like the team to beat.

I am more optimistic about SMSU than I was a month ago. I think we are going to be very good.

SCSU team to beat in the North.

Northern looks ready, so does Kato.

going to be a great season with lots of great basketball

Comment

If I had to make an actual guess at this...

St. Cloud
                          Mankato
                          USF
                          Moorhead
                          Northern
                          SMSU
                          Duluth
                          Winona
                          Crookston

No, though I wouldn't be shocked to see Crookston higher. I feel (for whatever reason) everyone is underestimating them.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            If I had to make an actual guess at this...

St. Cloud
                            Mankato
                            USF
                            Moorhead
                            Northern
                            SMSU
                            Duluth
                            Winona
                            Crookston

No, though I wouldn't be shocked to see Crookston higher. I feel (for whatever reason) everyone is underestimating them.
                            Last edited by Moorhead123; 11-26-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Thats a crafty veteran move.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X