Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PREDICTIONS - 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches' Poll

I take notes from the reverse psychology master.

In all seriousness, I just dont oniw what to make of NSU. Very well could have taken down Northwest, lose to Truman (who may end up being much better than how they started the year). We just dont seem to have much on the court chemistry, which again is understandable. If they have it off the court, it can build, but I just dont know at this point

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      If I had to make an actual guess at this...

St. Cloud
      Mankato
      USF
      Moorhead
      Northern
      SMSU
      Duluth
      Winona
      Crookston
      Typical...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        Typical...
        Typical what? You beat your alumni, half the UMAC, the 7th beat Preston in the MIAA, and lost to the 11th of 14 in the MIAA preseason. A schedule is what it is, but what else am I supposed to take from that? NSU beat Queens and yet I dont have them sitting up high on the list so I'm being pretty fair. Continue your self loathing if you must.
        Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 11-27-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Typical what? You beat your alumni, half the UMAC, the 7th beat Preston in the MIAA, and lost to the 11th of 14 in the MIAA preseason. A schedule is what it is, but what else am I supposed to take from that? NSU beat Queens and yet I dont have them sitting up high on the list so I'm being pretty fair. Continue your self loathing if you must.
          OK, that's a fair counter. You're right that our schedule does somewhat resemble the ones Northern had over about a decade stretch.

Comment

OK, that's a fair counter. You're right that our schedule does somewhat resemble the ones Northern had over about a decade stretch.
            Somewhat correct, yes. I see SMSU as very similar this year with one all-conferemce level player and many young unknowns. When NSU has had the likes of Jamestown, PC and Mayville on schedule, regardless if we have played D1 exhibition or not, if we struggle with one of those then it causes concern. Doesnt meqn things cant be proven over the course of the season. I said the same thing (kind of) about Bemidji after week one in football, got crushed for it and then just sat back and watched to see what transpired.

Comment

Here are my revised predictions before we begin conference play this weekend.

1. St. Cloud - I'm really surprised they lost to Mankato. I know the Mavs are good, but i believe SCSU had a big lead and fell asleep in the second half. I could maybe see that happening 1 or 2 more times this season and they may lose a couple conference games, but as long as they stay healthy no doubt the best team in the conference. Smith is a BEAST!!!.
              2. Mankato - The Mavs will be in a 3 horse race to be the South champ this year.
              3. USF - The fact that the Coo lost to Truman makes me feel a little better about the dud the Wolves put up too. Guebert and Evans are going to put up some fireworks this year.
              4. Northern - Wolves looks great in their first 3 games, and have been dreadful in the last 3. Hopefully Smith is ok as he doesn't look as explosive as he has in the past. If he is not 100% this year, NSU could struggle this year.
              5. SMSU - Hard to take much from the early season schedule. This weekend against USF should be a great game and show us how good SMSU is.
              6. Augie - Super young. They will look really good some nights, and really bad on others. After the top 5, I think there is a significant gap.
              7. Wayne - Off to a good start, but haven't had much resistance since the opening trip to Missouri.
              8. Upper Iowa - Should be an exiting team to watch this year.
              9. Moorhead - No idea what to expect from this team. Another really young bunch.
              10. Winona - Pretty disappointing start to the season. They are probably a little better than this, but I think 6-10 are pretty interchangeable.
              11. Duluth - How far can Myer carry them?
              12. Crookston - What is the NSIC record for 3PA? Crookston may break that.
              13. Bemidji
              14. Concordia
              15. Minot
              16. Mary - Surprising score against SD Mines, but I think it will be a looooong season in Bismarck.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                Here are my revised predictions before we begin conference play this weekend.

1. St. Cloud - I'm really surprised they lost to Mankato. I know the Mavs are good, but i believe SCSU had a big lead and fell asleep in the second half. I could maybe see that happening 1 or 2 more times this season and they may lose a couple conference games, but as long as they stay healthy no doubt the best team in the conference. Smith is a BEAST!!!.
                2. Mankato - The Mavs will be in a 3 horse race to be the South champ this year.
                3. USF - The fact that the Coo lost to Truman makes me feel a little better about the dud the Wolves put up too. Guebert and Evans are going to put up some fireworks this year.
                4. Northern - Wolves looks great in their first 3 games, and have been dreadful in the last 3. Hopefully Smith is ok as he doesn't look as explosive as he has in the past. If he is not 100% this year, NSU could struggle this year.
                5. SMSU - Hard to take much from the early season schedule. This weekend against USF should be a great game and show us how good SMSU is.
                6. Augie - Super young. They will look really good some nights, and really bad on others. After the top 5, I think there is a significant gap.
                7. Wayne - Off to a good start, but haven't had much resistance since the opening trip to Missouri.
                8. Upper Iowa - Should be an exiting team to watch this year.
                9. Moorhead - No idea what to expect from this team. Another really young bunch.
                10. Winona - Pretty disappointing start to the season. They are probably a little better than this, but I think 6-10 are pretty interchangeable.
                11. Duluth - How far can Myer carry them?
                12. Crookston - What is the NSIC record for 3PA? Crookston may break that.
                13. Bemidji
                14. Concordia
                15. Minot
                16. Mary - Surprising score against SD Mines, but I think it will be a looooong season in Bismarck.

Comment

Somewhat correct, yes. I see SMSU as very similar this year with one all-conferemce level player and many young unknowns. When NSU has had the likes of Jamestown, PC and Mayville on schedule, regardless if we have played D1 exhibition or not, if we struggle with one of those then it causes concern. Doesnt meqn things cant be proven over the course of the season. I said the same thing (kind of) about Bemidji after week one in football, got crushed for it and then just sat back and watched to see what transpired.
                  I should remember that most fans from other teams don't usually see us play unless we're playing their team. I think I was surprised at the lower ranking based on what I've seen, but most people haven't seen them.

I totally understand the argument of the competition level. But I've just been really impressed by the offensive numbers we're putting up. I know the numbers will fall as we play better teams, but it's still very impressive to see. The offense is very good.

To your point of the one all-conference player with many young unknowns, you're correct to a degree. Bruggeman is obviously the clear best player and our second unit is young. But of the 9-man rotation, 5 of them are seniors. That's a pretty experienced group.

Comment

I should remember that most fans from other teams don't usually see us play unless we're playing their team. I think I was surprised at the lower ranking based on what I've seen, but most people haven't seen them.

I totally understand the argument of the competition level. But I've just been really impressed by the offensive numbers we're putting up. I know the numbers will fall as we play better teams, but it's still very impressive to see. The offense is very good.

To your point of the one all-conference player with many young unknowns, you're correct to a degree. Bruggeman is obviously the clear best player and our second unit is young. But of the 9-man rotation, 5 of them are seniors. That's a pretty experienced group.
                    I was under the impression that Bruggy was the only senior. Also, I did watch some, not all of a Southwest game. I believe it was Bethany? Where it was surprising close in the first half and then ended in a blowout? Maybe it was Crown.

*just looked and believe it was Mayville, I was wrong.

Comment

I was under the impression that Bruggy was the only senior. Also, I did watch some, not all of a Southwest game. I believe it was Bethany? Where it was surprising close in the first half and then ended in a blowout? Maybe it was Crown.

*just looked and believe it was Mayville, I was wrong.
                      Bruggeman, Schafer, Lee, Bartlett and McNease are all seniors. A 1,500-point scorer, a 1,000-point scorer and someone who will likely finish the season close to 1,000.

Fair point on the Mayville game. That was the one game I was able to be at. Mayville was hot from 3 in the first half (9-20) and that was a big reason why it was so close, but they cooled off in the second (3-10). The Mustangs played well in that game though, and the score was a bit deceiving imo.

Mayville played in the NAIA national tournament last year. Will be interesting to compare our matchup with Mayville's game against Moorhead tonight (and later U-Mary, I suppose).

Comment

Bruggeman, Schafer, Lee, Bartlett and McNease are all seniors. A 1,500-point scorer, a 1,000-point scorer and someone who will likely finish the season close to 1,000.

Fair point on the Mayville game. That was the one game I was able to be at. Mayville was hot from 3 in the first half (9-20) and that was a big reason why it was so close, but they cooled off in the second (3-10). The Mustangs played well in that game though, and the score was a bit deceiving imo.

Mayville played in the NAIA national tournament last year. Will be interesting to compare our matchup with Mayville's game against Moorhead tonight (and later U-Mary, I suppose).
                        Rumor is that Mayville has one of its better teams in a number of years. They are not a bad team. They have a number of 5th year guys, etc. I expect them to give Moorhead a similar tough game tonight as they did with SMSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                          Rumor is that Mayville has one of its better teams in a number of years. They are not a bad team. They have a number of 5th year guys, etc. I expect them to give Moorhead a similar tough game tonight as they did with SMSU.
                          Ok...maybe oversold Mayville a bit :). Moorhead handled with relative ease. Really appears from preseason that Moorhead has a nice mix on offense. A number of good three point shooters. A little inside game with park, Bergh, and Johnson. Slashers in coad and Benninga. They are also much more unselfish overall than last year. I really feel they will be able to score. Defense is the real question. Small improvements, but still a number of guys either look confused or just unwilling to be physical on defense...that has to improve.

Comment

So Wayne beat Kearney tonight by 30. And Jacks had a subpar game, largely due to early foul trouble. He has plenty of help this year, and the squad really played well together considering all the new players that have been integrated into the rotation. The Kaminsky hire is looking really good at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
                              So Wayne beat Kearney tonight by 30. And Jacks had a subpar game, largely due to early foul trouble. He has plenty of help this year, and the squad really played well together considering all the new players that have been integrated into the rotation. The Kaminsky hire is looking really good at this point.

Comment

Heres how I see things as we enter NSIC play:

Regional Contenders:
                                SCSU, USF, Mankato

Despite their loss to Kato I still believe SCSU is the NSIC's best shot to host the regional that USF and Kato will attend.

Regional Wannabe:
                                Northern

Northern should be the second best team in the North which usually means they'll be in the Regional conversation but last weekend was not a good look for them.

Competitively Surprising:
                                SMSU, UIU, UMD, Wayne, Augie, Concordia

SMSU's powder puff schedule has been adressed enough but losing to an Emporia St team at home that got rolled by USF the next night is more damming. Having said that, I'm confident they'll win plenty of free throw contests this year.

UIU has played 5 D2 opponents and only one of them is currently below .500 as Smoldering Joe Smoldt adjusts to life without Carson Parker.

UMD has played a weak schedule and could end up in the "meh" category but Brandon Myer and his teammates survived Matt Bowen and thats not nothing. Justin Wieck always looked to be the glue that held Moorhead together so all of us may regret him emerging from that shadow.

The law firm of Jacks, Joseph, Janssen, and Janssen has taken control of Wayne, America and this truly might be the year they finish top 4 in the South. I look forward to hearing the Kaminsky bellows at the Arena on Saturday.

Augie has been equal parts tantalizingly talented and naturally inconsistent given their age while Tom didnt hold back by scheduling 5 D2 games 8 days . The Dykman loss sucked hard but Riemersma has been a revelation.

Concordia has already won 3 D2 games!! That combined with their annual win over Moorhead might save Joey James' job!

Harrison Cleary:
                                Crookston

Harrison is currently a member of the 40/50/90 (FG/3pt/FT%) club, usually it's the 50/40/90 club but he didnt go to Crookston to be ordinary. I'm already counting down the days until he comes to the Arena.

Played as many Canadian League teams as D2 teams:
                                Moorhead

Langara and Douglas better be dropping some serious bags on Moorhead, otherwise what does Walthall gain by playing those games? Even Minot and Mary played 4 D2 games each already.

Meh:
                                Bemidji, Winona

The G's lost to a Puerto Rican team, but more importantly what happened to Jai'Vionne Green? Meanwhile Winona has been arguably the biggest disappointment in the league thus far when you combine the Connor Flack injury with a schedule light on competition.

Probably Terrible:
                                Minot, Mary

As Charlie Wilson said it's tradition to say something about the vanquished, so I commend these two for playing 4 D2 games each thus far.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X