Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Pick'em - Week 1 Chat

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    I believe what he was saying is that any ball that hits rim must be deemed shot by shot clock operator, but that refs can modify to a pass, which is what they did last night as it was clearly a pass. So I believe ultimately it was handled correctly last night...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      USF is good.
      And SMSU stunk it up shooting especially from 3 (partially because USF is really good defensively).

Not a good combination.

SMSU is going to have to shoot better to be in this thing long term, but safe to say USF will be. They look ready for a deep run.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        56 fouls? Those types of games are usually up in Bemidji
        Attendance is down a bit from a few years ago (Aberdeen excepted) - (cost and too many other things going on are the 2 primary reasons ) but if the NSIC wants that trend of less folks showing up to continue keep giving us horse**** refs who make games take too long. When you get one of these games, you can just see the interest in the crowd (especially the casual fan disappear). Folks are expecting to see something different from high school games and too many fouls doesn't allow the NSIC to showcase the really good and ridiculously skilled athletes we have.

I see it often now at SMSU games. You get a nice crowd and the refs just decide that night is going to be about them and instead of seeing exciting athletic games it is whistle after whistle and free throws. At $15 a ticket folks just decide to stay home and watch the NBA or college and NFL football. It's a real thing and a real problem.

Until the league expects refs to not suck, this is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          Attendance is down a bit from a few years ago (Aberdeen excepted) - (cost and too many other things going on are the 2 primary reasons ) but if the NSIC wants that trend of less folks showing up to continue keep giving us horse**** refs who make games take too long. When you get one of these games, you can just see the interest in the crowd (especially the casual fan disappear). Folks are expecting to see something different from high school games and too many fouls doesn't allow the NSIC to showcase the really good and ridiculously skilled athletes we have.

I see it often now at SMSU games. You get a nice crowd and the refs just decide that night is going to be about them and instead of seeing exciting athletic games it is whistle after whistle and free throws. At $15 a ticket folks just decide to stay home and watch the NBA or college and NFL football. It's a real thing and a real problem.

Until the league expects refs to not suck, this is a problem.
          Understand your point, was only saying it seems like games that are played at Bemidji usually are foul fests. I dont have any data, simply games NSU has played there seem to be unusually high. It probably isnt that way just what sticks in my minds.

I think we all want to see Simple make his way up to the NSIC ranks. I dont care who Mankato is playing, I'd travel there to see how long before he tosses Margs.

Comment

The WSU men certainly looked better against UIU the other night. Two different halves. In the second, the Warriors turned up the effort on the defensive end and moved the better on offense.

The talent is there with this team. I'm hoping with some time, they will gel. If they do, it could be fun. My biggest concern is still the lack of inside scoring punch. They may just live and die by the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              There it is folks, he said it. Guest69 has Augustana in the regional, why else would he want to rent a house down there at that time of year. I love the confidence brother. Ya gotta believe. :)
              The charms of Maryville in March aren't for everybody.

Comment

UPPER IOWA @ WinonaUMC @ BSU

Comment

*D4 teams (pardon my satire, but there are some wonderful small colleges like Oak Hills Christian College whose enrollment is identified as 100, who should be in a class by themselves).

Coach, does Oak Hills have other sports there, or just basketball? I admit I had never heard of it until they played Martin Luther in New Ulm last week. How long has the school existed?
                  I agree that institutions that small should be in a class by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
                    *D4 teams (pardon my satire, but there are some wonderful small colleges like Oak Hills Christian College whose enrollment is identified as 100, who should be in a class by themselves).
                    I was at Martin Luther for their game against OHCC. They only had nine players to start the game, with some reserves who hadn't played organized basketball. Martin Luther isn't a D3 powerhouse but they looked like it against them.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Coach, does Oak Hills have other sports there, or just basketball? I admit I had never heard of it until they played Martin Luther in New Ulm last week. How long has the school existed?
                      Just volleyball and M,W hoops. I am pretty sure their men won one of those national Christian college tournament not that long ago, similar to what the Presentation College women won around the same time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Like NSU4Life wrote, they have women's volleyball & basketball, men's basketball plus cross-country (where they have had a few very good runners). I don't think they have ever gotten any national notoriety beyond the region with basketball. Interestingly enough, they played DI Western Illinois last year (70-point game I think). I don't know this, but I suspect they got $5,000-10,000 guarantee from WIU. This year they also play a host of NAIA & D2 games (NW IA, Jamestown, VC, BSU, UMC) where they probably pick up $500-$1500 each). They travel in one van and usually have only 8-9 players (1/12 of their entire enrollment). So for them, these games are money-makers although I do believe there is damage with the over-kill.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X