Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC Offseason 2020

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NSIC Offseason 2020

    It's possible this thread is redundant with the NSIC 2020-2021 thread, but I figured this could focus more on stuff happening this offseason rather than what actually will be happening during the 2020-21 season.

    For example, we've seen a few transfers announced in the last few days:

    Andy Stafford leaving SMSU: https://twitter.com/andy_stafford1/s...59307276222464

    Brandon Adelman leaving SCSU: https://twitter.com/AdelmanBrandon/s...46692945485824

  • #2
    Interesting on Stafford. Got to play as a freshmen and did well. Nice player. I wonder if he just wanted to go elsewhere of people telling him he is too good for D2 .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
      Interesting on Stafford. Got to play as a freshmen and did well. Nice player. I wonder if he just wanted to go elsewhere of people telling him he is too good for D2 .
      Big city kid. It's entirely possible he felt Marshall didn't offer enough. Too bad, I thought he had solid potential.

      Comment


      • #4
        Part of me wonders if SMSU might still be in the transfer market looking to add someone. Would be reminiscent of the program bringing in KJ Davis early on in the last 5-year cycle. I think they could still use one more player with some decent size. We have 5s and a number of wings that can slide down to the 4 in smaller lineups, but we're missing that Joey Bartlett/Chad Orum/Scott Roehl type in the rotation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Something to watch with all d2 schools is how the athletic budgets are shaping up in light of all the pandemic issues, etc. Don’t be surprised to see schools having to make some very tough decisions in the next few months. Enrollments were already down at many schools with the good economy. Now a pandemic.

          I continue to believe the nsic is going to be much improved next year. This past year had probably 4-5 pretty good nsic teams. Other than nsu (and maybe UMD) there were no great teams. Next year I think there could 6-8 pretty good teams with 2-4 great teams being possible. Still not sure there is a national championship contender, but one or two teams may have that potential depending on what other moves are made this offseason. Still think most the top teams are an impactful player or two away from really competing with top teams in the country. Nsu likely be able to compete with top teams in country (and assuming fox stays and stays healthy). I would assume nsu rated in top 25 in country in preseason poll (even though nsu4life will likely pick his wolves 5th in preseason nsic prediction poll). After that Winona, USF and Augie may all be able to compete with some of top teams with their current rosters. Msum, UIU and Mankato still missing a solid piece or two. I do expect Msum to add another player or two this offseason.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
            Interesting on Stafford. Got to play as a freshmen and did well. Nice player. I wonder if he just wanted to go elsewhere of people telling him he is too good for D2 .
            Tough loss for smsu. Stafford would likely be a good d2 player. Not sure why any borderline d1 player would ever leave a good d2 situation. Just look at the number of d1 guys leaving every team every year. If you are not a pretty sure bet d1 player why jump into to revolving d1 door that occurs on every team?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

              Tough loss for smsu. Stafford would likely be a good d2 player. Not sure why any borderline d1 player would ever leave a good d2 situation. Just look at the number of d1 guys leaving every team every year. If you are not a pretty sure bet d1 player why jump into to revolving d1 door that occurs on every team?
              I don't blame him for moving on if he feels he can find a better situation for him. Whether or not that actually turns into reality is an entirely different question.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

                I don't blame him for moving on if he feels he can find a better situation for him. Whether or not that actually turns into reality is an entirely different question.....
                I agree...just seems like so many land minds out there at d1 level. Would bet a lot of borderline d1 guys wish they would have just played d2 after they are on their third d1 team and still not really the fit they hoped.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

                  I agree...just seems like so many land minds out there at d1 level. Would bet a lot of borderline d1 guys wish they would have just played d2 after they are on their third d1 team and still not really the fit they hoped.
                  I wonder if people look at the path Nuni Omot took and think they can do that easy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                    Something to watch with all d2 schools is how the athletic budgets are shaping up in light of all the pandemic issues, etc. Don’t be surprised to see schools having to make some very tough decisions in the next few months. Enrollments were already down at many schools with the good economy. Now a pandemic.

                    I continue to believe the nsic is going to be much improved next year. This past year had probably 4-5 pretty good nsic teams. Other than nsu (and maybe UMD) there were no great teams. Next year I think there could 6-8 pretty good teams with 2-4 great teams being possible. Still not sure there is a national championship contender, but one or two teams may have that potential depending on what other moves are made this offseason. Still think most the top teams are an impactful player or two away from really competing with top teams in the country. Nsu likely be able to compete with top teams in country (and assuming fox stays and stays healthy). I would assume nsu rated in top 25 in country in preseason poll (even though nsu4life will likely pick his wolves 5th in preseason nsic prediction poll). After that Winona, USF and Augie may all be able to compete with some of top teams with their current rosters. Msum, UIU and Mankato still missing a solid piece or two. I do expect Msum to add another player or two this offseason.
                    Agree . Good post.

                    I do think we might see more kids moving around simply because everything is in flux with the pandemic. Then again, maybe all this down time makes kids appreciate how good it was! probably depends on the kid.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                      Something to watch with all d2 schools is how the athletic budgets are shaping up in light of all the pandemic issues, etc. Don’t be surprised to see schools having to make some very tough decisions in the next few months. Enrollments were already down at many schools with the good economy. Now a pandemic.

                      I continue to believe the nsic is going to be much improved next year. This past year had probably 4-5 pretty good nsic teams. Other than nsu (and maybe UMD) there were no great teams. Next year I think there could 6-8 pretty good teams with 2-4 great teams being possible. Still not sure there is a national championship contender, but one or two teams may have that potential depending on what other moves are made this offseason. Still think most the top teams are an impactful player or two away from really competing with top teams in the country. Nsu likely be able to compete with top teams in country (and assuming fox stays and stays healthy). I would assume nsu rated in top 25 in country in preseason poll (even though nsu4life will likely pick his wolves 5th in preseason nsic prediction poll). After that Winona, USF and Augie may all be able to compete with some of top teams with their current rosters. Msum, UIU and Mankato still missing a solid piece or two. I do expect Msum to add another player or two this offseason.
                      I am not sure University athletic folks can truly appreciate how much their budgets are going to be devastated yet. I look around Marshall and see who the corporate sponsors are and can't help to think half might not renew unless it turns around quick.

                      We really have not idea how bad it is going to get financially eyt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

                        I am not sure University athletic folks can truly appreciate how much their budgets are going to be devastated yet. I look around Marshall and see who the corporate sponsors are and can't help to think half might not renew unless it turns around quick.

                        We really have not idea how bad it is going to get financially eyt.
                        I'm not suggesting the folks in athletic departments are ignoring this or haven't discussed it. I just am wondering if they can really imagine just how bad it might get. Hopefully it doesn't

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

                          I'm not suggesting the folks in athletic departments are ignoring this or haven't discussed it. I just am wondering if they can really imagine just how bad it might get. Hopefully it doesn't
                          In hindsight maybe should have locked down the old folks homes, delivered groceries to those vulnerable and let the young and healthy go to work and get heard immunity. Heck when I was a kid and you came down with measles or chicken pox you went to school so the other kids could get it too. This thing isn’t good but numbers are waaayyy below dire forecasts made including with lockdowns. No one has actually died because they couldn’t get a ventilator (you don’t want to go on one of those things) and nobody has lain in the hallway for lack of a hospital bed. Numbers might not end up being much different than a bad flu year. Granted lockdown helps this, probably a lot, but once we get back out there the sucker isn’t just going to go away. The best economy in our lifetime has been ruined in three weeks and the nation put two trillion deeper in debt with calls for more. It’s like money grows on trees. I guess at the federal level it more or less does. Won’t be surprised if in fact the cure does end up being worse than the disease.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dont know where to put this so will put here. Nice story.

                            https://goldeneaglesports.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                              Dont know where to put this so will put here. Nice story.

                              https://goldeneaglesports.com/
                              Nothing is coming through on that site this morning. Maybe they are changing things. Was that the story on Harrison Cleary?

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X