Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elite Eight Matchups Set

Originally posted by wsufamily View Post
    Touche' I raise you 2 national championships, 3 national championship game appearances, 4 final four appearances. Maybe someday he will win the big one, maybe next week.
    How many has Brown won as a head coach?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
      Right up there with trading Babe Ruth.
      And paying the other team to take him. When the AD made the clause in the application that you had to have a minimum of 2 years head coaching experience to apply, Brown and Gove could not even get an interview. They would have stayed and for a few years even would have come back, don't know if they would anymore and why would they under this AD. That was all on the AD, he has to go...

Comment

Rumor on the street is Eisner is doing everything he can to find another job. I would sure hope they do not give it to Malvik because he hasn't done well in the head recruiting role. They do have some talent coming back next year but nothing I see to move them much up the ranks and after watching Malvik handle the Upper Iowa end I don't think he is ready for this level coaching wise. Would love to see them approach Gove and Henderson for the job. Heck even Stromer would be better than Malvik. Other route would be going to Randall Herbest I think he could do a good job too.

WT is fun to watch Quaid is like a mini John Smith. Not as long or able to defend the rim as well but his offensive game is so similar. The guards they have are dang good. 3 of them who can all attack and shoot it. They also can defend. I like Gach Gach the most of out all of them though. Local kid from Minnesota down there has gone 65-7 in two years. He plays tough defense and bombs away from the NBA line. If they get going on offense they are tough to stop.

Tom Brown and Chris Gove are in the Elite 8 for the 6th time in 13 years. Pretty sure no other coach assistant or head have been back that consistently in the past 25 years. Winners win and they are winners. Hope Brown gets a shot at D1 he deserves it.
        The only coach who would qualify to apply would be Brown since he has been a head coach and none of the others have been. The same would apply to Malvik as well if he follows the same formula. Not sold on Eisner either, he lost a number of games at the end to. There are some good players coming back but if you don't have a great recruiter they don't get the support for the players they have.

Comment

Touche' I raise you 2 national championships, 3 national championship game appearances, 4 final four appearances. Maybe someday he will win the big one, maybe next week.
          Crutchfield did all that as a head coach, not as an assistant on someone else's staff.

Comment

Bam a Winona person roasted glad to make your day. Texas Tom name needs a new address which is down in Canyon, Texas. Kind of sad to see Augie take a step back after winning a national championship. You would think they would have kept it rolling more.
            So you got the joke, cool.

Comment

Bam a Winona person roasted glad to make your day. Texas Tom name needs a new address which is down in Canyon, Texas. Kind of sad to see Augie take a step back after winning a national championship. You would think they would have kept it rolling more.
              Aside from completely missing the joke (as Augieholic noted), I'd be remiss not to mention that I think most Augie fans feel pretty good about the direction and future of Augie's program, in spite of taking a slight "step back" for a couple of years. Other than the Bearcats, I don't know a ton of teams who don't have a couple of less-than-National-Championship-caliber years after winning it all. In the three years since winning it, we made the Regional once (and lost to the eventual National Champion), missed the Regional, and then narrowly missed it this past season. There are a decent number of teams in our region who would gladly take those results, so I'm not crushed that those are considered "step back" years for the Vikings.

That being said, I'd love to see (and expect to see) the Vikings make some more noteworthy postseason waves starting again these next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                Crutchfield did all that as a head coach, not as an assistant on someone else's staff.
                If you only knew. I think it speaks volumes that the Winona program started to have issues when Brown and Gove started to speak up to admin about it. Then once they left the wheels came up. You can say he was an assistant but Brown and Gove were keeping that ship moving. Leaf was busy drinking, popping pills and god knows what else.

I will take Brown and Gove over Cruthfield any day. Go win the big one then I will consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                  Aside from completely missing the joke (as Augieholic noted), I'd be remiss not to mention that I think most Augie fans feel pretty good about the direction and future of Augie's program, in spite of taking a slight "step back" for a couple of years. Other than the Bearcats, I don't know a ton of teams who don't have a couple of less-than-National-Championship-caliber years after winning it all. In the three years since winning it, we made the Regional once (and lost to the eventual National Champion), missed the Regional, and then narrowly missed it this past season. There are a decent number of teams in our region who would gladly take those results, so I'm not crushed that those are considered "step back" years for the Vikings.

That being said, I'd love to see (and expect to see) the Vikings make some more noteworthy postseason waves starting again these next few years.
                  I'm a little slow sorry I don't have the acumen of a Augie grad. If i were a fan of Augie which I am not I would have wanted to see the program stay near the level in which you are in the regional every single season not just close.

Comment

I'm a little slow sorry I don't have the acumen of a Augie grad. If i were a fan of Augie which I am not I would have wanted to see the program stay near the level in which you are in the regional every single season not just close.
                    Understood. Like I said, I'd be curious to know which teams satisfy that requirement other than NWMSU. Mankato has been in many/most the past several years, but only a serious contender in a few. I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure most other NSIC schools and other programs in this region have more or less come and gone in waves with a few years in and a few years out.

Comment

If you only knew. I think it speaks volumes that the Winona program started to have issues when Brown and Gove started to speak up to admin about it. Then once they left the wheels came up. You can say he was an assistant but Brown and Gove were keeping that ship moving. Leaf was busy drinking, popping pills and god knows what else.

I will take Brown and Gove over Cruthfield any day. Go win the big one then I will consider it.
                      Oh, I know all about Leaf. And I wasn't advocating for one over the other, but you said you doubted any coach has been to the E8 as much as Brown recently. I was just pointing out that Crutchfield has been more....and far more as a head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchool View Post
                        The only coach who would qualify to apply would be Brown since he has been a head coach and none of the others have been. The same would apply to Malvik as well if he follows the same formula. Not sold on Eisner either, he lost a number of games at the end to. There are some good players coming back but if you don't have a great recruiter they don't get the support for the players they have.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I agree with you. Considering that very few teams have won it all, only NW does meet the standard of making the regional every year after they won it all. With Northern advancing to the championship game last year, We'll see if they can stay in the conversation of having a national championship contender one year and not stepping back after that. They are off to a good start. Ask the UCM guys how hard it is. They would have loved to be close to advancing to the regional every year. They didn't even make the conference tournament this year. I would love to see MSSU at least join the conversation by being a national title contender, but we have a long ways to go still. Like you said, lots of schools would love to have the track record that Augie has had the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
                            I agree with you. Considering that very few teams have won it all, only NW does meet the standard of making the regional every year after they won it all. With Northern advancing to the championship game last year, We'll see if they can stay in the conversation of having a national championship contender one year and not stepping back after that. They are off to a good start. Ask the UCM guys how hard it is. They would have loved to be close to advancing to the regional every year. They didn't even make the conference tournament this year. I would love to see MSSU at least join the conversation by being a national title contender, but we have a long ways to go still. Like you said, lots of schools would love to have the track record that Augie has had the last few years.
                            A long ways to go? Had Northwest missed two fewer threes and a few more of ours fell in, we might have beat the Bearcats and advanced to the Elite Eight. Heck, if Christian Bundy wouldn't have hurt his Achilles, who knows? The kid played great in our wins over Northwest last year.

That doesn't seem to me like "a long ways". That's a very small amount of "ifs" in the grand scheme of things. I think we are close.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                              A long ways to go? Had Northwest missed two fewer threes and a few more of ours fell in, we might have beat the Bearcats and advanced to the Elite Eight. Heck, if Christian Bundy wouldn't have hurt his Achilles, who knows? The kid played great in our wins over Northwest last year.

That doesn't seem to me like "a long ways". That's a very small amount of "ifs" in the grand scheme of things. I think we are close.
                              Totally agree. In fact, I am choosing MSSU as preseason favorites to win the MIAA next year, with what you have returning.

Comment

A long way off? Any other sweet 16 teams retuning their starting 5 and all but one player f/ their roster? Probably not many ...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X