Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

It's been a tough year, but Hoinberg is a good coach. It's probably the worst Power5 job in the country. No history of success, tough conference, and the limited in-state talent all goes to Creighton. They won't find a better option, so they may as well give him some time. And hey, at least they beat the rodents yesterday! Pitino is probably on a hotter seat at the moment.
    I just don't get why they are so bad every year and why it is possibly the worst job in power5.
    They have some of the best basketball facilities in the nation.
    Ever since Miles came they have had good attendance at games with routinely selling out.
    Obviously no history but kids don't care about that like they use too.
    Tough conference yes but that also means you are playing against some great talent.
    The school has put money into it.

I like/liked Miles I think he took Nebraska to another level early on and almost out the expectations too high, he took them up a level in expectations and then he himself couldn't keep the team there and basically got himself out of the job in my opinion.

Hoiberg was by far the best option for them and probably still has been. He was the big name that year and I'd say still has been since the hire if you take who has been available and add him in to the mix each year.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out for them. They had another player leave today.

Comment

For UNK.

3/4/2021 - 2018 PG Cedric Johnson (6-2, 180, 2?) will be transferring.
      3/4/2021 - JUCO PG Myles Arnold (6-1, 165, 2?) will be transferring.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/nebraska-kearney

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post
        For UNK.

3/4/2021 - 2018 PG Cedric Johnson (6-2, 180, 2?) will be transferring.
        3/4/2021 - JUCO PG Myles Arnold (6-1, 165, 2?) will be transferring.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/nebraska-kearney
        Two guys who mostly started, right? I don't follow UNK basketball nearly as closely as I once did, as the Wayne-UNK matchup generally only happens once a year now, and this year not even that. It sure feels like the post-Kropp era has had an awful lot of guys transferring out. Losing Koster to USD was huge a couple of years ago (and he's hardly played for them, *shrugs*). Wayne is certainly happy to have Penner. Seems like there have been a bunch of others.

Comment

Cam Martin from MSSU posted on Twitter today he would be graduating in May and entering his name into the transfer portal.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

Two guys who mostly started, right? I don't follow UNK basketball nearly as closely as I once did, as the Wayne-UNK matchup generally only happens once a year now, and this year not even that. It sure feels like the post-Kropp era has had an awful lot of guys transferring out. Losing Koster to USD was huge a couple of years ago (and he's hardly played for them, *shrugs*). Wayne is certainly happy to have Penner. Seems like there have been a bunch of others.
            Yeah, Johnson started 19 games and Arnold 12. Transfers have been pretty common under Lofton but I don't have any insight into the reasons for them.

Comment

As sad as it is to say this, it's starting to look like if Saul manages to keep Parker Fox at Northern, it will arguably be one of the better recruiting jobs he's pulled off as a coach (at any level).

Comment

Parker isn't a Saul recruit. He was recruited by Sather/Wicks and redshirted his first season. If he does transfer, he will have 2 years of eligibility left to play. Rumor is still out there on him transferring though. I just heard it again the other day, along with a few other plays on the Wolves team.

Comment

Originally posted by where'swaldo View Post
                  Parker isn't a Saul recruit. He was recruited by Sather/Wicks and redshirted his first season. If he does transfer, he will have 2 years of eligibility left to play. Rumor is still out there on him transferring though. I just heard it again the other day, along with a few other plays on the Wolves team.
                  That's my point. At this point, he's basically recruiting Parker to stay at Northern. If he succeeds, I would consider it as good of a "get" as any other recruiting effort this offseason, whether it's an incoming player or a returning player.

Comment

I see what your saying, but I think Parker has been out to prove all season that he can play D1 basketball. No doubt in my mind that he can, but the question comes down to what level of D1 can he actually play. I personally have a hard time watching Parker. He isn't the kind of player that us "old" Northern guys are used to. Not much team ball when Parker is on the court and I get sick of watching him argue with the refs after every call. I don't think those antics would be well received by most D1 programs, so he will definitely have to find the right fit for him.

Comment

Originally posted by griff2016 View Post
                      Cam Martin from MSSU posted on Twitter today he would be graduating in May and entering his name into the transfer portal.
                      Not unexpected, from what I understand. One of the most dominant players I can remember in the MIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by where'swaldo View Post
                        I see what your saying, but I think Parker has been out to prove all season that he can play D1 basketball. No doubt in my mind that he can, but the question comes down to what level of D1 can he actually play. I personally have a hard time watching Parker. He isn't the kind of player that us "old" Northern guys are used to. Not much team ball when Parker is on the court and I get sick of watching him argue with the refs after every call. I don't think those antics would be well received by most D1 programs, so he will definitely have to find the right fit for him.
                        He is a very good player, but have to agree with you on all of the above. His court presence is nil. At least in the few games i have watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

He is a very good player, but have to agree with you on all of the above. His court presence is nil. At least in the few games i have watched.
                          I'll do my best to set aside all of my distaste for his antics.

Obviously he can athletically dominate 80 - 90% of D2 front courts, thats clear after the last two seasons. However if you look at his games (all Northern wins) versus Augie/Kato and guys who started their careers at low to mid D1s (Riemersma at Navy, Dykman at SDSU, Kramer at Montana) he's not the same force:

2/25/21 vs Augie: 13 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 6 blocks, 5 fouls
                          2/29/20 vs Augie: 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 3 fouls
                          2/1/20 vs Kato: 13 points, 9 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 fouls
                          1/17/20 vs Augie: 21 points, 5 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 6 steals, 5 fouls

These are still good games but a clear step down compared to his production vs lesser competition. At the D1 level his shooting deficiency will be a much bigger problem then it is right now. Personally I think Parker's ceiling is as a backup big in a low to mid major D1 league

Comment

I don't feel like starting a new thread for this so I'll put it here. U Mary coach resigns for different job there

https://goumary.com/news/2021/3/9/me...-at-umary.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Not unexpected, from what I understand. One of the most dominant players I can remember in the MIAA.

That's too bad. (sarcasm) The dude is a beast... I think the only times that I can remember that we even remotely shut him down, it was because he got dinged up. An unstoppable force for sure. That was well written and heartfelt... for those of us that know him only as the guy that beat the hell out of our guy trying to guard him, it humanizes him and sheds a little light on the kid that he is. I'm sure the MoSo family will miss more than just the player. I guess if anything I'm a little surprised he's looking to transfer... I figured he'd be playing for money next year. Exploring all options I suppose.

Comment

According to verbalcommits.com, Roko Dominovic of Northern State has entered the portal. Do any of the Northern folks on this board have more information on this?

Don't know what the common practice is, but will he still be playing at the regional? Or are you off the team as soon as you announce your intentions to transfer?

Out of curiosity, I scanned the DI transfer list. One school, Tennessee-Martin of the Ohio Valley Conference, has 12 -- that's right, 12 -- players on the transfer list. Madness.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X