Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's basketball attendance

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    I assumed the NSU men had lead the country again but to have 58% more per game than #2 on the list is impressive.
    It's just unfortunate that they have to inflate their numbers to do so.

Look, I know this is going to be a hot-button debate after I make these comments and I'm not taking anything away from the crowds that Northern draws and their great following, but it's just a fact that it happens.

All regular season, Northern supposedly had just two games under 3,000 and just one under 2,500 (2,388). Earlier in February, they had consecutive weekends averaging nearly 5,000 attendance over a four-game homestand. But in the NSIC Tournament Quarterfinal they only drew 1,547 fans? Happens every single year. Wednesday night or not, I don't buy that there is that big of a drop, I'm sorry. I wish I could remember specifics, but I know I've heard ticket-counting changes in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Look, I know this is going to be a hot-button debate after I make these comments and I'm not taking anything away from the crowds that Northern draws and their great following, but it's just a fact that it happens.

All regular season, Northern supposedly had just two games under 3,000 and just one under 2,500 (2,388). Earlier in February, they had consecutive weekends averaging nearly 5,000 attendance over a four-game homestand. But in the NSIC Tournament Quarterfinal they only drew 1,547 fans? Happens every single year. Wednesday night or not, I don't buy that there is that big of a drop, I'm sorry. I wish I could remember specifics, but I know I've heard ticket-counting changes in the postseason.
      Post season attendance drop is fairly common in D2. I think a huge reason is folks that haven't had to buy tickets for individual games, such as season ticket holders and students, have to buy tickets for the game. That game is often a midweek game against a bad opponent so many decide to skip the game. I have no idea if that is what's happening at Northern just that they are not unique with attendance drop off.

Comment

Year after year we do this...to each their own I guess.

Comment

That does sound very strange. Nsu4life probably does the count during the regular season.

Comment

Fair complaint, but I don't think Northern is doing anything different than other schools. The crowd for the quarterfinal game was noticeably smaller than any of the regular season games last season. It was mid-week, no doubleheader, against a terrible opponent, and I think there was a threat of some bad weather that day. I think that Northern is somewhat unique in that it does draw fans from much farther out to come to Aberdeen for games so all of those factors did play in this year.

Comment

No idea if this is what NSU does but I have heard some of the same issues in football as well. Some schools only count tickets scanned as their attendance, some count tickets sold as attendance, and some schools count everyone in the gym/stadium, including the players themselves (not as big of an impact in basketball but could have a decent impact in football), coaches, the band, administrators, etc. Obviously those doing the last option aren't getting a 100% accurate count but are adding a certain number to their attendance figure based on an estimate.

I think a lot of professional sports report tickets sold but not necessarily butts in the seat. Unless there is a consistent mandate of what you should report for attendance then this will always be an issue to some level

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                The crowd for the quarterfinal game was noticeably smaller than any of the regular season games last season. It was mid-week, no doubleheader, against a terrible opponent, and I think there was a threat of some bad weather that day. I think that Northern is somewhat unique in that it does draw fans from much farther out to come to Aberdeen for games so all of those factors did play in this year.
                A drop sure, but half? I don't buy it.

Comment

Beginning of last year was Waldorf, we had 1,500, prior year, Black Hills on a Monday got 2,400, Briar Cliff in 2015 on a Saturday was 1,600, Jamestown in 2015 on a Monday was 1,400.

If you are bothered by this, feel free to vent away or lose sleep or whatever you must. As stated we have families that travel from hours away for Wolves games and that's not as doable during the week, regardless who is playing. When those people are planning (hoping to attend a weekend tournament somewhere days later, they are going to travel for that game.

If you want to say that Northern is inflating numbers, go right ahead but you are going to embarrass yourself thinking the rest of the league does anything different. December 31st 2017 was in Mankato for the Northern game. I hand counted 98 people in the stands for the womens game and attendance was listed just under 400...but by all means, continue on your soapbox.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                    Beginning of last year was Waldorf, we had 1,500, prior year, Black Hills on a Monday got 2,400, Briar Cliff in 2015 on a Saturday was 1,600, Jamestown in 2015 on a Monday was 1,400.

If you are bothered by this, feel free to vent away or lose sleep or whatever you must. As stated we have families that travel from hours away for Wolves games and that's not as doable during the week, regardless who is playing. When those people are planning (hoping to attend a weekend tournament somewhere days later, they are going to travel for that game.

If you want to say that Northern is inflating numbers, go right ahead but you are going to embarrass yourself thinking the rest of the league does anything different. December 31st 2017 was in Mankato for the Northern game. I hand counted 98 people in the stands for the womens game and attendance was listed just under 400...but by all means, continue on your soapbox.
                    True fans would drive for hours to see the best college basketball team in the country regardless day of the week...no wonder Sather left.

When you hand counted the 98, did you make sure to go into the bathrooms to make certain you got them all counted? Maybe that was the discrepancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                      True fans would drive for hours to see the best college basketball team in the country regardless day of the week...no wonder Sather left.

When you hand counted the 98, did you make sure to go into the bathrooms to make certain you got them all counted? Maybe that was the discrepancy?
                      I remember on Lionbacker chili feed night I counted 98 in the bathroom at one point.

Comment

[QUOTE=MisterWizard;2401927]I remember on Lionbacker chili feed night I counted 98 in the bathroom at one point./QUOTE]

Watching nsu basketball is worse than a chili feed...so probably 200 people in the bathroom.

Comment

After 12 years of average attendance over 2000 (over 2500 in several of those seasons), the Mules have averaged less than 2000 for the last 4 seasons. How was this bad Mules team still 6th in the nation averaging less than 1800/game? Do all the good teams play in small gyms?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            After 12 years of average attendance over 2000 (over 2500 in several of those seasons), the Mules have averaged less than 2000 for the last 4 seasons. How was this bad Mules team still 6th in the nation averaging less than 1800/game? Do all the good teams play in small gyms?
                            Attendance relies on many factors, but one big factor is other competing options in area for discretionary dollars and attention. For example, northern state has certainly built a successful program, but another important factor is that there are not as many competing options for local sports/entertainment dollars in the Aberdeen area (other than high school sports). Other programs have additional college or pro teams that take the focus and money from d2 sports. In Aberdeen, nsu basketball is the main attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              NW does. IIRC their fire code is either 2,100 or 2,300 and that includes all the players/staff/etc. As I've ventured out to other MIAA venues I'm surprised NW's is so much smaller than all the ones I've been in.

My daughter camped at Pitt St, UNK, UCM & Southern this year...been in MoWo's and Washburn's too...all considerably bigger than NW.

How much does UCM's hold if they pull those enormous bleachers on the baselines out?

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                                Attendance relies on many factors, but one big factor is other competing options in area for discretionary dollars and attention. For example, northern state has certainly built a successful program, but another important factor is that there are not as many competing options for local sports/entertainment dollars in the Aberdeen area (other than high school sports). Other programs have additional college or pro teams that take the focus and money from d2 sports. In Aberdeen, nsu basketball is the main attraction.
                                Agreed. Division I hockey at some of the D2 institutions has some effect in basketball attendance at those places, in my opinion, As you stated, there seem to be more alternatives for the average person now than existed decades ago for discretionary spending, in many or most areas.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X