Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BackdoorCut View Post

He's definitely turned jobs down, but at some point you can be too picky. Would love to see how he does at a D1 program.
    Of course you would!

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Why does he have to stop being too picky? Lower level D1 jobs don't offer life changing money, most are not much more than what he's getting at NW (especially when you compare cost of living differences). If he takes a low level D1 job he goes into one of two situations...the coach was very successful and moved up...he'll have to do better than that coach did...probably within 2 years. Or the coach got run for losing and he'll have to turn it around in 2 years (he may get a 5 year contract, once again, not life changing money) if he doesn't accomplish that do they run him after 2 years and he's back to D2 or an assistant job...how many D2 programs pay what he's making?

Of course it could be he wants that challenge of winning at D1, but from all I've heard him say and what I've heard, he's happy at NW, has a son who was on the varsity BB team as a freshman...harder to leave when kids are in HS and he's got two more heading that way. Lots of reasons to stay too. I'd hope at some point NW will do something similar with him that they did with Coach T to reward him!
      if he's being too picky he's hindering his professional advancement to the extent he wants to go d1. as far as whether that's true none of us have enough info to give an informed opinion. i don't blame him for turning down umkc.

usually dudes that succeed at a high level are ultra competitive to the extent they want to compete at the highest level possible.
      the goal wouldn't really be lower level d1, that's just a stepping stone. you don't leave nwms b/c manhattan u is the dream job, you do it to hopefully get to a high major some day knowing that kstate (for ex) isn't going to typically hire a d2 coach. obv we know there are rare exceptions.

whatever he wants i hope he gets at some point, he's more than held up his end of the bargain for us.
      Go Bearcats!
      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I do think there's something to the "picky" thing. It's important to look at how a person is set up for success. McCollum is set up for success at NWMSU. There's really no reason for him to need to leave. He's only 40 years old. He's at a place where he's happy. There's plenty of time for him to be selective on his next job.

I look at his recruiting footprint and his past, I don't see him really leaving the region. Then your next step is to look at what D1 jobs are improved situations for him. UMKC and Omaha are in the region, but likely not steps up. I don't think Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State or Missouri are programs that would hire him straight from D2. What does that leave?

I think the most interesting schools to monitor would be out of the Missouri Valley. I think that league has imprinted itself as enough of a step up to where it would be a realistic chance someone could offer, yet at the same time be a league that's enough of a step up for it to be a worthwhile move. It's probably hard to see for a few years though because the three most likely Valley programs in his footprint finished 1-2-3 in the standings this year and probably wouldn't go D2 for the next hire at this point.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
            Ben was on 810 Sports Radio in KC today and essentially said if a can't turn it down, good mid-major or better job comes along then he will have to seriously look at taking it. Said he wasn't just looking for the next job so he can get the next one after that and so on. Talked about recognizing how good he has it at NW and it will take something special for him to leave but realizes it will probably be a risk for an AD to hire a D2 coach at the type of program he would be willing to leave NW for.

Not really sure what else he is supposed to say in the situation so interpret as you see fit.

Comment

Comment

You'd have to believe the source that he "applied" for the position and not that they reached out to him to gauge his interest.

Comment

My favorite part of the year. Grown adults talking about, and offering opinions about, where another grown adult should work. :)

Comment

That Northern State thread has been at the top of the forum for five straight days now without a new post, so I figured I'd fire this guy back up now that we're only a few weeks away from athletes heading back to school.

Any noteworthy updates, unexpected changes, incoming/outgoing transfers, etc. in the past couple of months?

Anyone want to throw out other predictions besides what has already been discussed in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      That Northern State thread has been at the top of the forum for five straight days now without a new post, so I figured I'd fire this guy back up now that we're only a few weeks away from athletes heading back to school.

Any noteworthy updates, unexpected changes, incoming/outgoing transfers, etc. in the past couple of months?

Anyone want to throw out other predictions besides what has already been discussed in this thread?
                      No

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

No
                        Sorry, I meant from people who know something about basketball.

(Burn.)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

(Burn.)
                          I've missed you too

Comment

Last edited by Moorhead123; 08-10-2022, 04:26 PM.

Comment

(Burn. Recycled, but still.)

Comment

In other news, I saw on Twitter that former Augustana Viking Matt Cartwright has been granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA. Should be interesting to see who from from the Vikings will tackle those defensive responsibilities against him with LeBrun graduated and gone. Hopefully someone as intensely focused on keeping him scoreless as Dylan was.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X