• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the past it was even more efficient than most NBA teams

Comment

• DB was named MIAA POW

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Not going to take time to look for it again but a week or so ago I saw a tweet that said NW had the most efficient offense in college basketball again so far this season. Had comparisons to teams in D2 and all other divisions.
        Just saw it in this week's game notes... it's impressive to do this year in and year out.

Points Per Possession (NCAA Div. II)
        1. Northwest Mo. St. 1.113
        2. Seattle Pacific 1.084
        3. Black Hills State 1.077
        4. Bentley 1.065
        5. Northeastern St. 1.063
        6. Lincoln Memorial 1.056
        7. Fort Lewis 1.054
        8. East Stroudsburg 1.052
        9. Lander 1.041
        10. Minnesota St. 1.032
        Northern St. 1.032

Points Per Possession (NCAA Div. I)
        1. Colorado St. 1.053
        2. Arizona 1.049
        3. Utah St. 1.047
        4. Notre Dame 1.040
        5. Tulane 1.026
        6. New Mexico 1.024
        7. UConn 1.023
        Missouri 1.023
        Chattanooga 1.023
        10. Penn St. 1.021

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Just saw it in this week's game notes... it's impressive to do this year in and year out.

Points Per Possession (NCAA Div. II)
          1. Northwest Mo. St. 1.113
          2. Seattle Pacific 1.084
          3. Black Hills State 1.077
          4. Bentley 1.065
          5. Northeastern St. 1.063
          6. Lincoln Memorial 1.056
          7. Fort Lewis 1.054
          8. East Stroudsburg 1.052
          9. Lander 1.041
          10. Minnesota St. 1.032
          Northern St. 1.032

Points Per Possession (NCAA Div. I)
          1. Colorado St. 1.053
          2. Arizona 1.049
          3. Utah St. 1.047
          4. Notre Dame 1.040
          5. Tulane 1.026
          6. New Mexico 1.024
          7. UConn 1.023
          Missouri 1.023
          Chattanooga 1.023
          10. Penn St. 1.021
          I think the most impressive part of this team for me in keeping up with these efficiency numbers is that they don't really have that "go to" scorer that they've had in the past with a Pitts or a Witthus or a Hawkins or a Hudgins... In 10 games, we've had 6 different guys lead us in scoring (Diego 4 times, Luke 2, Mascari 2, Dreamer 1, Jackson 1, and Stirtz 1) Mascari isn't a starter, Stirtz wasn't until recently. You also have Abreau and Alexander off the bench as well that on a given night can get points. Having more guys step up and contribute offensively should make this team pretty dangerous. We're doing it a little differently, but because we're attacking the basket so much, we're leading the nation in FG% (55%) at this point in the season.... for not really being a "big" team, that's an impressive number. Granted, I would expect those numbers, specifically that one, to drop as we get further into the conference season, but it's a heck of a start considering the unknowns with this team and arguably losing the best player in school history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I think the most impressive part of this team for me in keeping up with these efficiency numbers is that they don't really have that "go to" scorer that they've had in the past with a Pitts or a Witthus or a Hawkins or a Hudgins... In 10 games, we've had 6 different guys lead us in scoring (Diego 4 times, Luke 2, Mascari 2, Dreamer 1, Jackson 1, and Stirtz 1) Mascari isn't a starter, Stirtz wasn't until recently. You also have Abreau and Alexander off the bench as well that on a given night can get points. Having more guys step up and contribute offensively should make this team pretty dangerous. We're doing it a little differently, but because we're attacking the basket so much, we're leading the nation in FG% (55%) at this point in the season.... for not really being a "big" team, that's an impressive number. Granted, I would expect those numbers, specifically that one, to drop as we get further into the conference season, but it's a heck of a start considering the unknowns with this team and arguably losing the best player in school history.

Not bad for a program that was supposed to disappear after Pitts graduated.

Comment

Not bad for a program that was supposed to disappear after Pitts graduated.
              "Disappear" isn't that a bit overstated? Who was saying that?

Continuing the high level of success with JP? I admit I didn't think we would, but hey, the only way to move from winning a NC would be down.

What Ben has done is amazing. I've learned to just sit back and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. As long as Ben is at NW my expectations are we will be highly competitive and if we get hot late season...LOOK OUT!

Comment

• Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

"Disappear" isn't that a bit overstated? Who was saying that?

Continuing the high level of success with JP? I admit I didn't think we would, but hey, the only way to move from winning a NC would be down.

What Ben has done is amazing. I've learned to just sit back and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. As long as Ben is at NW my expectations are we will be highly competitive and if we get hot late season...LOOK OUT!
                Some of the NSIC crew made multiple comments that NW was a one man team with Pitts. Can't remember which one but they even referred to NW as the Fighting Pittses'. I just like to bring it up periodically as a reminder.

Similar to the references to the NW football team as a "flash in the pan" when the program turned around in the 90s.

Comment

Some of the NSIC crew made multiple comments that NW was a one man team with Pitts. Can't remember which one but they even referred to NW as the Fighting Pittses'. I just like to bring it up periodically as a reminder.

Similar to the references to the NW football team as a "flash in the pan" when the program turned around in the 90s.
                  There is a significant difference between joking about the best player in D2 basketball being your team's most important player and stating/implying that your program will disappear after he graduates. As someone who I'm sure referred to them as the Fighting Pittses at some point (or, if not, at least chuckled at whoever did post it), the joke being made was simply that without him on your team during his time as a Bearcat, the program probably wouldn't have been as successful. Again, he was the best player in the country at that time. It wasn't that absurd to joke about his importance to the program during that era. But anyone who knows anything about basketball (which it pains me to admit is quite a few of us on here) knows Northwest didn't solely win National Championships because of Pitts.

For being the most dominant program of the last several years, it's astounding how much a few comments can rankle and stick with some of you Northwest fans. (I know, I know, not all...but definitely a few.)

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

There is a significant difference between joking about the best player in D2 basketball being your team's most important player and stating/implying that your program will disappear after he graduates. As someone who I'm sure referred to them as the Fighting Pittses at some point (or, if not, at least chuckled at whoever did post it), the joke being made was simply that without him on your team during his time as a Bearcat, the program probably wouldn't have been as successful. Again, he was the best player in the country at that time. It wasn't that absurd to joke about his importance to the program during that era. But anyone who knows anything about basketball (which it pains me to admit is quite a few of us on here) knows Northwest didn't solely win National Championships because of Pitts.

For being the most dominant program of the last several years, it's astounding how much a few comments can rankle and stick with some of you Northwest fans. (I know, I know, not all...but definitely a few.)
                    That's a long explanation for some good natured back and forth on a message board. I think there's more hindsight in your explanation than what you want to believe.

Because NW has had a good run, are their fans not allowed to bring up previous banter as other fans do? I thought that was part of the fun of a message board.

Comment

That's a long explanation for some good natured back and forth on a message board. I think there's more hindsight in your explanation than what you want to believe.

Because NW has had a good run, are their fans not allowed to bring up previous banter as other fans do? I thought that was part of the fun of a message board.
                      I think he’s summed it up fairly well. Also, you’ve hung around the central region board long enough to know that was an abbreviated reply for MrAugustana

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I think he’s summed it up fairly well. Also, you’ve hung around the central region board long enough to know that was an abbreviated reply for MrAugustana
                        Lol

Comment

• Cats go down tonight in Emporia without Diego. It was the first time that not having a go to scorer kind of showed. Obviously Diego’s ability to get to the basket opens things up for others, but Emporia really made it tough…. They guarded hard and they deserve the credit. NW was uncharacteristically bad at the line, missing 5 FTs in a row with around 5 minutes left in the game that coincided with Emporia making some big shots and kind of pulling away. ESU made several guarded 3s… Owen Long was terrific tonight. My guess is that Diego will draw that assignment in the rematch…

Comment

• DB got hurt in NW’s last game. Hope he’s able to go in the next MIAA game

Comment

• Hopefully HC BM can turn this one into a good old-fashioned character builder.

Comment

• I hate to admit it because Doty is a tool but it seems Emporia has our number. 3rd loss in last 2 years to them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X