Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Think of the transfer portal like Night Moves from Bob Segar.

”I used her, she used me but neither one cared. We were gettin out share..”
    amen

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

well, if you are a high school kid, you need to consider Moorhead is moving into the Mankato theory -- that's fine, but they are always going to be taking transfers and JUCOs each year over the HS kids they recruited.
      Don’t see where they have much choice. Most programs are losing players. Have to backfill with somebody and when good players are up for grabs a coach is derelict not to chase them.

Comment

• Added
        Ja'Kair Sanchez, MSUM

Comment

• Moorhead F Owen Hektner is in the transfer portal.

Comment

well, if you are a high school kid, you need to consider Moorhead is moving into the Mankato theory -- that's fine, but they are always going to be taking transfers and JUCOs each year over the HS kids they recruited.
            So you are taking a shot a Moorhead by saying they are trying to emulate the reigning National Champions? Transfer portal isn’t going anywhere. Some teams use it more than others. It is tough on guys that have been in program for a while. Not sure there is any good answer. I prefer the old system, but it’s a new reality. Many of the top teams in country are going to bring a few transfers every year.

Comment

You mean the team that just won the national title??
              what a ridiculous statement. Just admit you’re old and hate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

You mean the team that just won the national title??
                what a ridiculous statement. Just admit you’re old and hate change.
                Mankato didn't just switch to this philosophy this year, so it hasn't exactly been foolproof.

I do think it's interesting looking at the Mavs history actually. What are their two worst teams in recent history? By record, they are 2019-20 (17-15) and 2011-12 (7-19), and only his first two seasons come close. How many transfers did each team have? 2019-20 had Kelby Kramer, but it looks like he was the only transfer into the team if I'm reading the roster correctly. And it doesn't look like 2011-12 had any transfers.

Sometimes, some coaches are just better at recruiting a different kind of player. It sure seems like Margs has success finding kids looking for a fresh start, a new opportunity. I expect him to continue to thrive in this transfer portal era. Credit to him for getting the Willinghams to stay close to home though.

Comment

• Looks like Hastreiter has decided Augie fits him best. per Verbalcommits.com

Comment

• I think most coaches would admit that high school recruiting is still main priority, but changes with transfer rules has probably increased the focus on transfers. In some respects hard to blame these coaches as players are also not as loyal anymore given their quick trigger to transfer in many cases.

Comment

• Augustana has commitments from Ferguson brothers. Tameron high school senior, brother Don a transfer from Coppin St.

DF3 (@floatfamdon11) / X (twitter.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                        I think most coaches would admit that high school recruiting is still main priority, but changes with transfer rules has probably increased the focus on transfers. In some respects hard to blame these coaches as players are also not as loyal anymore given their quick trigger to transfer in many cases.
                        I would disagree about high schoolers being priority. We’re in an era of college ball where teams want to get old and stay old. Grad transfers and older guys with experience are like gold. It sucks for high school kids- not as many opportunities to go straight to a 4 year institution as those spots are now being filled by 22-23 year olds.

Comment

• Originally posted by GHawks View Post

I would disagree about high schoolers being priority. We’re in an era of college ball where teams want to get old and stay old. Grad transfers and older guys with experience are like gold. It sucks for high school kids- not as many opportunities to go straight to a 4 year institution as those spots are now being filled by 22-23 year olds.
                          Upper classmen and grad students transfers all were humble freshmen at one point in their athletic careers. There has to be a balance of student ratios. Most college's best players stay with their original school for a better education and collegiate experience Good examples: Drew Blair and Isaac Fink.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Upper classmen and grad students transfers all were humble freshmen at one point in their athletic careers. There has to be a balance of student ratios. Most college's best players stay with their original school for a better education and collegiate experience Good examples: Drew Blair and Isaac Fink.
                            Drew Blair transferred from NW Missouri State to Duluth. But then, yes, he stayed throughout the rest of his career when he likely would have been more than capable of jumping up another level.

Comment

• Originally posted by GHawks View Post

Many teams over the years have tried to go largely go with juco and transfer players. That is usually a recipe for disaster for many reasons. There needs to be a healthy balance between high school standouts and transfers. I still believe most top teams will spend much time and resources to get the best high schools kids they can, but the transfer game is unfortunately a growing reality for all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Many teams over the years have tried to go largely go with juco and transfer players. That is usually a recipe for disaster for many reasons. There needs to be a healthy balance between high school standouts and transfers. I still believe most top teams will spend much time and resources to get the best high schools kids they can, but the transfer game is unfortunately a growing reality for all.
                                The transfer game has been more prevalent the last few years due to the extra Covid year. Unless a kid got a medical redshirt too, next year is the last year of kids with the extra Covid year. While it will not be the same as it used to be, transfers may decrease some and high school kids may get better opportunities.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X