Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    For example, let’s say Mankato wins the National Championship this year, and the next Ryan Bruggeman or Aeron Stevens is being recruited by Brad Bigler. And toward the end of his recruitment, Margenthaler jumps in because one of his transfers doesn’t work out, and fictional future Ryan Bruggeman is a good fit for his Maverick squad. I would contend that it is not beneficial—that it is, in fact, detrimental—for the Mustangs if Margs can say to Newbruggeman, “Why choose SMSU, where you may be competing for a Regional bid (if that), when you can come play for me, where we win National Championships? Oh, did I mention we have a new state-of-the-art locker room because our donors ponied up $X0,000 to renovate since they want to see us win a few more National Championships? Oh, and because of our raised profile, we’ve got some really great NIL options for you here in Mankato because all of the businesses are getting on board thanks to all the buzz in town.”

I personally would have to think that line of thinking will influence a potential recruit. So if I’m an NSIC fan, why would I want that for an opposing program?

To me, it’s less about blind loyalty to my team, and more about the logical conclusion of a rival achieving that level of success and taking advantage of it in a way that is detrimental to the success of the program I support.
    That makes sense. I think I've resigned to the fact that SMSU is just "different". We are very rarely in those kinds of recruiting battles. But Bigler understands that as he was a student-athlete himself, so he fully understands the types of kids to recruit who will want to come to Southwest. And he's been recruiting that way for over 20 years now since he was a grad assistant here. I think the only recruiting "battle" that genuinely upset me was one of the damn Schilling brothers (I think it was Casey).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      I think the only recruiting "battle" that genuinely upset me was one of the damn Schilling brothers (I think it was Casey).
      He who controls the Spice controls the NSIC.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

I get both sides. Like laker, I’ve been happy for some
        of my friends that are associated with successful teams as fans or coaches. And yes, there is some ancillary value to all schools when you can talk about being the toughest conference in the country or whatever, which you can’t legitimately do if teams aren’t having national success.

But I’d sooner have root canal than say Go Bearcats.
        I normally root for MIAA teams in the Central Region and then the Central Region champion in the national tournament. However, there is one exception. I just can't root for Pitt State. Dirty monkeys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

Was told my refund should show up in 5 to 10 business days. Congratulations to MSU and bring home the hardware>
          Was told my refund would be processed in 7-14 business days.
          Last edited by mosofan1; 03-21-2024, 02:47 PM.

Comment

This is the type of conversation that makes me love the message boards.

Regarding your first paragraph, I don’t see it as a “betrayal of my team” in the general fan sense. I 100% agree that who I’m rooting for doesn’t change anything for either program.

My point is that, if you’re a fan of one team specifically (like I am with Augie, like simple used to be with St. Cloud, like zimmy21 is with Mankato), the success of other in-conference foes is detrimental to the future success of the team I support.

For example, let’s say Mankato wins the National Championship this year, and the next Ryan Bruggeman or Aeron Stevens is being recruited by Brad Bigler. And toward the end of his recruitment, Margenthaler jumps in because one of his transfers doesn’t work out, and fictional future Ryan Bruggeman is a good fit for his Maverick squad. I would contend that it is not beneficial—that it is, in fact, detrimental—for the Mustangs if Margs can say to Newbruggeman, “Why choose SMSU, where you may be competing for a Regional bid (if that), when you can come play for me, where we win National Championships? Oh, did I mention we have a new state-of-the-art locker room because our donors ponied up $X0,000 to renovate since they want to see us win a few more National Championships? Oh, and because of our raised profile, we’ve got some really great NIL options for you here in Mankato because all of the businesses are getting on board thanks to all the buzz in town.”

I personally would have to think that line of thinking will influence a potential recruit. So if I’m an NSIC fan, why would I want that for an opposing program?

To me, it’s less about blind loyalty to my team, and more about the logical conclusion of a rival achieving that level of success and taking advantage of it in a way that is detrimental to the success of the program I support.
            I do understand that point. I don't get into the nitty-gritty of recruiting, but even as a casual fan - if I found out down that road that some stud went elsewhere when he could have come here, I might be bummed out to some degree.

The more I think about it - it's really a case-by-case basis for me. In NSIC volleyball, I obviously want Southwest to win the national title, but maintaining the NSIC as a juggernaut on a national scale is the secondary priority. For FBS football/major D1 sports - I get annoyed when SEC fans chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" all the time. In hockey (generally speaking), I will only root for MSU, or other teams if it benefits MSU (CCHA or not).

Laker's point about knowing folks at other NSIC schools is a thing too - one that is harder to replicate on a larger scale in bigger divisions. I have no formal affiliation to USF but I will root for them in football occasionally (unless playing SMSU/MSU) because I'm there with some frequency and know several people with ties to the place.

Glad we were able to bring the discussion back around - I didn't mean to come off as abrasive earlier.

Comment

• [QUOTE=MrAugustana;n820741]

This is the type of conversation that makes me love the message boards.

Regarding your first paragraph, I don’t see it as a “betrayal of my team” in the general fan sense. I 100% agree that who I’m rooting for doesn’t change anything for either program.

My point is that, if you’re a fan of one team specifically (like I am with Augie, like simple used to be with St. Cloud, like zimmy21 is with Mankato), the success of other in-conference foes is detrimental to the future success of the team I support.

To me, it’s less about blind loyalty to my team, and more about the logical conclusion of a rival achieving that level of success and taking advantage of it in a way that is detrimental to the success of the program I supp

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That makes sense. I think I've resigned to the fact that SMSU is just "different". We are very rarely in those kinds of recruiting battles. But Bigler understands that as he was a student-athlete himself, so he fully understands the types of kids to recruit who will want to come to Southwest. And he's been recruiting that way for over 20 years now since he was a grad assistant here. I think the only recruiting "battle" that genuinely upset me was one of the damn Schilling brothers (I think it was Casey).
                I’m glad we won both battles.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I do understand that point. I don't get into the nitty-gritty of recruiting, but even as a casual fan - if I found out down that road that some stud went elsewhere when he could have come here, I might be bummed out to some degree.

The more I think about it - it's really a case-by-case basis for me. In NSIC volleyball, I obviously want Southwest to win the national title, but maintaining the NSIC as a juggernaut on a national scale is the secondary priority. For FBS football/major D1 sports - I get annoyed when SEC fans chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" all the time. In hockey (generally speaking), I will only root for MSU, or other teams if it benefits MSU (CCHA or not).

Laker's point about knowing folks at other NSIC schools is a thing too - one that is harder to replicate on a larger scale in bigger divisions. I have no formal affiliation to USF but I will root for them in football occasionally (unless playing SMSU/MSU) because I'm there with some frequency and know several people with ties to the place.

Glad we were able to bring the discussion back around - I didn't mean to come off as abrasive earlier.
                  Even beyond recruiting though, I just think of general buzz. If Mankato wins the NC this year, every news outlet in the state will cover it for some measure of time (a couple of weeks, maybe more), announcers on live streams will bring it up forever (as they still do with Augie, even though our NC was now 8 years ago), and people will just generally talk about it.

Why wouldn’t we, as non-Mankato fans, want that buzz to be happening in/around Maryville, MO (or even farther away than that) rather than in our own backyards?

Anyway, not trying to drag the conversation out, as it’s more or less run its course. I just think the list of reasons to not be pro-NSIC once your team is eliminated seems pretty lengthy.

I do agree on the like/dislike of fans impacting how much I like/dislike other teams. For example, I’ve said for years that Wayne is my #2 team in the conference, and that’s about 90% because of wscsuperfan (and cat fan). I believe there used to be one other Wayne poster with whom I always enjoyed interacting on here too. Combine that with the fact that I’ve never wanted to punch any of Wayne’s players/coaches in the face, and it definitely makes them more likable.

On the other hand, the aforementioned Dee Upman and his arrogance had me hoping West Liberty would lose every game by 100. And I knew nothing of their players, coaches, etc. So I do agree completely that the connections with people/fans from other in-conference schools can make an impact.

I didn’t think you came off as abrasive either way. Like I said, these types of discussions are why I still jump on the message boards. Shockingly, my co-workers aren’t exactly sprinting to my cubicle each morning to discuss the nuances of D2 basketball.

Comment

• In retrospect the missed foul shot at the end by Mankato helped lead to NW’s downfall. If he made both shots Mankato wouldn’t have fouled and NW would’ve had 5.6 seconds to try to score the winning basket or go into OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                      In retrospect the missed foul shot at the end by Mankato helped lead to NW’s downfall. If he made both shots Mankato wouldn’t have fouled and NW would’ve had 5.6 seconds to try to score the winning basket or go into OT.
                      I actually thought about that on the way home. During the game I was just hoping for OT instead of a loss.

Comment

Even beyond recruiting though, I just think of general buzz. If Mankato wins the NC this year, every news outlet in the state will cover it for some measure of time (a couple of weeks, maybe more), announcers on live streams will bring it up forever (as they still do with Augie, even though our NC was now 8 years ago), and people will just generally talk about it.

Why wouldn’t we, as non-Mankato fans, want that buzz to be happening in/around Maryville, MO (or even farther away than that) rather than in our own backyards?
                        I very much agree with the general sentiment, but just wanted to point out that it would probably only get a day of coverage in Twin Cities media. Mankato TV would run with it for awhile, as would Sioux Falls or Fargo/Moorhead markets if their local teams won it all. But the news cycle moves much quicker in Minneapolis/St Paul.

Comment

Anyway, not trying to drag the conversation out, as it’s more or less run its course. I just think the list of reasons to not be pro-NSIC once your team is eliminated seems pretty lengthy.

I do agree on the like/dislike of fans impacting how much I like/dislike other teams. For example, I’ve said for years that Wayne is my #2 team in the conference, and that’s about 90% because of wscsuperfan (and cat fan). I believe there used to be one other Wayne poster with whom I always enjoyed interacting on here too. Combine that with the fact that I’ve never wanted to punch any of Wayne’s players/coaches in the face, and it definitely makes them more likable.

On the other hand, the aforementioned Dee Upman and his arrogance had me hoping West Liberty would lose every game by 100. And I knew nothing of their players, coaches, etc. So I do agree completely that the connections with people/fans from other in-conference schools can make an impact.

I didn’t think you came off as abrasive either way. Like I said, these types of discussions are why I still jump on the message boards. Shockingly, my co-workers aren’t exactly sprinting to my cubicle each morning to discuss the nuances of D2 basketball.
                          Have to admit, I would have a hard-time cheering for the Mavs in a NC game. They're the most powerful member of our league already, despite Augie frequently winning the all-sports crown. AU MBB NC in 2016 was my greatest memory as a fan, easily beating the 87' Twins WS crown. If Kato does win the NC I'll feel happy for the Mavs #1 fan the chocomilkholic Laker. We share a bond of being owned by our cats.

Comment

• Having rewatched the MSU vs NW game a few times now, a few things stand out.

That may have been the best defensive battle I’ve seen in a long time at any level of ball. Apart from both teams getting some open looks early, it seemed like every single shot was contested without fouling. Very physical but at the same time a very fast moving clean game. As I’ve said before, credit to the officials as well. 12 total free throws attempted and the game only lasted 1 hour and 29 minutes of real time.

This game showcased more than any game this year why MSU is having the year that they’re having. Malik was completely shut down but in the end the Mavs clamped down on D and found enough offense in the second half to win a game against the best program in D2. I don’t think any other team at least in the NSIC can survive their best player having 4 points in a big time game and win.

That was one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever seen at any level.

These 2 teams would be at or near the top of the Summit league this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                              If Kato does win the NC I'll feel happy for the Mavs #1 fan the chocomilkholic Laker. We share a bond of being owned by our cats.
                              I never give chocolate milk to my cats- I save it for myself. But they are all spoiled and entitled.

Comment

• Here’s an example of how tough it can be to get out of this Region: NW is now 6-6 in the S16, while they’re 4-2 in the E8, 4-0 in the semis and 4-0 in title games. In at least 2 of those 6 S16 losses the winner ended up Champs. This could bode well for Mankato.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X