Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Who did the announcing of tournament, some NCAA lackeys? NCAA should have approached Midco for camera work, bit they don't give a rats a$$ about D2.
    I think it was Mankato's radio team maybe... that part of the broadcast was fine, it was the video quality that was severely lacking. And glitching, and freezing... it was truly awful. It was way worse for the championship game... I don't know if that was due to the numbers streaming it, but it gave me a headache just out of frustration. But really, the entire tournament could've been a lot better... i felt like the call was a little ahead of the video, which was annoying to hear something happen before I could see it. Not to mention when a team shot free throws, the camera was on the shooter, but you couldn't see whether it went in or not. Thankfully, I usually knew because they had already called it. (that was sarcasm). They refunded mine for the championship game already no questions asked, so I would assume they had a lot of feedback.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I think it was Mankato's radio team maybe... that part of the broadcast was fine, it was the video quality that was severely lacking. And glitching, and freezing... it was truly awful. It was way worse for the championship game... I don't know if that was due to the numbers streaming it, but it gave me a headache just out of frustration. But really, the entire tournament could've been a lot better... i felt like the call was a little ahead of the video, which was annoying to hear something happen before I could see it. Not to mention when a team shot free throws, the camera was on the shooter, but you couldn't see whether it went in or not. Thankfully, I usually knew because they had already called it. (that was sarcasm). They refunded mine for the championship game already no questions asked, so I would assume they had a lot of feedback.
      Glad you could get some cash back, I know I'm glad I paid to watch it live

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Bringing this back up, as I’ve now seen about 50 tweets of the game-winner (including from people with significant followings like Adam Thielen, etc.) and read it was the #1 play on SportsCenter last night… I’d still love to understand how any of this actually benefits Augustana University (or any other NSIC school that isn’t MSU-Mankato) and warrants cheering for the Mavs rather than a non-NSIC team that doesn’t compete directly in the same geographical footprint. Right now, Mankato is getting more hype and buzz everywhere than it’s gotten in the last 4-5 years combined. Why would a fan of another team that directly competes with MSU be happy about that?

As of now, I’m a Ferris State fan. I genuinely want to hear feedback on why non-Mankato fans are cheering for the Mavs. Other than just “it’s fun because we play against them,” or the aforementioned argument that it’s somehow better for the conference in some not-particularly-quantifiable way.

Even the “stronger league breeds better competition” argument doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Is a kid from Mitchell, SD or Springfield, MN actually saying, “Well…Augustana seems like a decent school, but since an MIAA won the National Championship for several years, I’d rather go play for a team in that conference. Better competition, after all.” ? I personally doubt it, but maybe I”m wrong on that. I think the league is known for being good either way, and MSU losing in the Regional Championship probably wasn’t going to change that. So unless someone wants to explain that argument more thoroughly, I’m not exactly sold on it either.
        This is the level of petty I'm on. No offense but for all I'm concerned after my squad loses I'm against everyone in the NSIC.

In my humble opinion, it serves no benefit to my school of a conference for (or worse real rival) does better than the Mavs in regular season or post season.

It's MSU vs the world, in my household

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Who did the announcing of tournament, some NCAA lackeys? NCAA should have approached Midco for camera work, bit they don't give a rats a$$ about D2.
          The host school provides the broadcast, both with video and audio. It's been that way for at least 15 years. I know because I was part of the crew that helped put it together in 2009 when the tournament was in Marshall. The NCAA sent one person to provide the graphics, but the rest of the crew providing video, audio and replays was operated by SMSU students.

Seeing and hearing about the issues that came up in Mankato make me think it was a server issue, which easily could be on the NCAA's end. They may not have anticipated such a high volume of people watching. I'd wager they didn't have these same issues for other games that had far fewer viewers. It's unfortunate.

Comment

Bringing this back up, as I’ve now seen about 50 tweets of the game-winner (including from people with significant followings like Adam Thielen, etc.) and read it was the #1 play on SportsCenter last night… I’d still love to understand how any of this actually benefits Augustana University (or any other NSIC school that isn’t MSU-Mankato) and warrants cheering for the Mavs rather than a non-NSIC team that doesn’t compete directly in the same geographical footprint. Right now, Mankato is getting more hype and buzz everywhere than it’s gotten in the last 4-5 years combined. Why would a fan of another team that directly competes with MSU be happy about that?

As of now, I’m a Ferris State fan. I genuinely want to hear feedback on why non-Mankato fans are cheering for the Mavs. Other than just “it’s fun because we play against them,” or the aforementioned argument that it’s somehow better for the conference in some not-particularly-quantifiable way.

Even the “stronger league breeds better competition” argument doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Is a kid from Mitchell, SD or Springfield, MN actually saying, “Well…Augustana seems like a decent school, but since an MIAA won the National Championship for several years, I’d rather go play for a team in that conference. Better competition, after all.” ? I personally doubt it, but maybe I”m wrong on that. I think the league is known for being good either way, and MSU losing in the Regional Championship probably wasn’t going to change that. So unless someone wants to explain that argument more thoroughly, I’m not exactly sold on it either.
            I get why you have that viewpoint, but it's less about that and more about fostering the general appreciation of Division II sports.

Unfortunately, D2 gets a lot of hate. People don't appreciate it like they should. For some kids, it's Division I or bust in regards to playing college sports....and I've heard this from kids who might only be fringe talents on a D3 team.

Seeing NSIC teams win increases the visibility of the entire conference. I remember watching Winona State's run to national titles and thinking to myself as a fan "that could be my team one day". When Northwest won the national title in 2017, I take that as we came only 3 points short of having a chance to do what they did. Other recruits see that too. They can envision themselves being that missing piece to take your program to that next level.

If your league is full of schools that never have any success at the national level, what is there to look forward to as a fan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

The host school provides the broadcast, both with video and audio. It's been that way for at least 15 years. I know because I was part of the crew that helped put it together in 2009 when the tournament was in Marshall. The NCAA sent one person to provide the graphics, but the rest of the crew providing video, audio and replays was operated by SMSU students.

Seeing and hearing about the issues that came up in Mankato make me think it was a server issue, which easily could be on the NCAA's end. They may not have anticipated such a high volume of people watching. I'd wager they didn't have these same issues for other games that had far fewer viewers. It's unfortunate.
              I paid to watch the women's regional final. First quarter, great. Second quarter- nothing. I rebooted my computer. Late in the second it came back, found out it was at their end. By that time the game had been decided so I was too happy to be upset. Had I missed the end of the men's final I would have gone ballistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Glad you could get some cash back, I know I'm glad I paid to watch it live
                I wish I could have made it. The sad part is that it was a heck of a game and because I spent the entire time froze, or blurry, or just trying to refresh the feed, I never felt engaged. Games like that would normally have me clapping or wooing or maybe even crying at the end, and I got none of that…. I would’ve felt the same way had NW pulled it out, but there would’ve been a silver lining of that not being the last time I got to see that team play. It is what it is.

For what’s it worth, I’ll be rooting for Mankato. I think I’d probably root for any of the MIAA teams too. (Maybe not MoWest 😜) I’m just kind of proud to know that we’re part of the toughest region in the country. That said, regionalization is for the birds.
                Last edited by Alfred33; 03-20-2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Mankato might get to see old friend Ryland Holt, as West Texas A&M is in the Elite Eight too

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Was told my refund should show up in 5 to 10 business days. Congratulations to MSU and bring home the hardware>

Comment

I mean - would the league still be known as "good" if a conference from the west coast started winning everything, all the time? My argument would be no. There is something to be gained on a macro level from the NSIC having it's teams be good consistently.

Not that rooting for one team or another has an influence over the outcome, and not that I care about D2 basketball *that* much to follow some bizarre fan code of conduct about who I root for.

Comment

• Originally posted by southside View Post

Gonna have to invest in some new peach baskets for next year.
                        Cut some holes in the bottom they might hit 50!

Comment

I get both sides. Like laker, I’ve been happy for some
                          of my friends that are associated with successful teams as fans or coaches. And yes, there is some ancillary value to all schools when you can talk about being the toughest conference in the country or whatever, which you can’t legitimately do if teams aren’t having national success.

But I’d sooner have root canal than say Go Bearcats.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                            But I’d sooner have root canal than say Go Bearcats.
                            That's okay, you can say Go Mavs now!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That's okay, you can say Go Mavs now!
                              I loved it when the Mustangs were in the Elite 8. That was a crazy regional in St Cloud that I was at every night.

Comment

• Any D2 fans going to Evansville? I'm still deciding where I might go. One or the other or both.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X