Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

Health and Sports Center Nebraska-Kearney...

Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Not smart enough to post a picture, but some of you could help me out here. Hutchinson JuCo is a nice facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
        Not smart enough to post a picture, but some of you could help me out here. Hutchinson JuCo is a nice facility.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          Future D2 Members Texas-Tyler:

Big crowd for the women.... Hopefully that's a preseason scrimmage or something. Nice gym though.

Comment

Can't forget about the Bearcats of Northwest Missouri State...

[/IMG]
            Northwest has done a lot to the facade of building and to the gym itself to make it as nice as possible, but it really does leave a lot to be desired compared to some of these other facilities. All the supports that runs across the floor interfere with the view of the scoreboard, and you can probably forget ever seeing a full court buzzer beater unless the shooter is able to cut a path through all that mess to the basket!

Comment

Somebody will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe USF has used the arena in the past for one-off home games. In addition, they've hosted NAIA tournaments, D2 Volleyball National Championship, at least one NBA game, and the Sioux Falls Skyforce claim it as their home court. Certainly a worthy entry to the thread!

The D2 title game last year was a complete sellout. I live 90 miles from SF, and I couldn't get a ticket for anything. I think I even heard somewhere that people were trying to charge $200+ for them. The venue was way too small to host Northern.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                That's impressive. I've seen D1 arenas that can't hold a candle to that place.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                  Northwest has done a lot to the facade of building and to the gym itself to make it as nice as possible, but it really does leave a lot to be desired compared to some of these other facilities. All the supports that runs across the floor interfere with the view of the scoreboard, and you can probably forget ever seeing a full court buzzer beater unless the shooter is able to cut a path through all that mess to the basket!
                  That's a bummer. That photo makes it look like a Minnesota hockey barn or something with a high, rounded ceiling. I can see the supports getting in the way though.

Comment

Somebody will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe USF has used the arena in the past for one-off home games. In addition, they've hosted NAIA tournaments, D2 Volleyball National Championship, at least one NBA game, and the Sioux Falls Skyforce claim it as their home court. Certainly a worthy entry to the thread!

The D2 title game last year was a complete sellout. I live 90 miles from SF, and I couldn't get a ticket for anything. I think I even heard somewhere that people were trying to charge $200+ for them. The venue was way too small to host Northern.

Northern State playing there was probably the exception to the place being too small. Obviously that's essentially a home game for them. I'd think most years it would be the perfect size. D2 fan bases, in general, don't travel well. If you'd have teams there from, say, the East and the South, that arena would have more than enough seating. If they'd play the game in some big arena (say Rupp Arena) ... it would be a ghost town regardless of who is playing in the game.

The really neat thing there is it perfectly combines 'old style' basketball venues with modern amenities.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Northern State playing there was probably the exception to the place being too small. Obviously that's essentially a home game for them. I'd think most years it would be the perfect size. D2 fan bases, in general, don't travel well. If you'd have teams there from, say, the East and the South, that arena would have more than enough seating. If they'd play the game in some big arena (say Rupp Arena) ... it would be a ghost town regardless of who is playing in the game.

The really neat thing there is it perfectly combines 'old style' basketball venues with modern amenities.
                      I also love that venue. My only complaint is that the harsh lighting causes too much of a reflection on the court for us watching on TV.

Comment

It also sold out when NW played for the National Championship there in 2017. I'm sure there was more demand for the NSU game with them being closer and I didn't hear of any big issues with people not getting in for the NW game. However, the listed capacity is 3250 and that is the listed attendance for the game that year. Not bad for being 5 hours or so away from NW campus.

I really like the venue for the reasons you mention.

Comment

Last edited by nwstew84; 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Love Municipal.

Comment

Absolutely. It's not a knock against the selection of the venue, or the venue itself - just an observation. I should have worded it differently.

I do wonder however, hypothetically, how attendance would have looked if the game was held at DSP Center or something. 12,000 capacity for basketball - I bet they could have sold out at least the lower bowl of the place.

Comment

I visited Bresnan Arena for the Saturday afternoon game. I did snap a pic from where I was sitting, I'll see if I can upload it.

It's a very impressive facility. The beams did seem to interfere with the scoreboard, but I sat on that side of the arena so I couldn't really tell. That's really the only nitpick I have with the place I suppose. Well - that, and SMSU's student section was almost as large as MSU's (if not slightly larger).

The only other road game I have planned is the matchup with Augustana.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X