X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLVC season prediction

Thought I would make picks for divisional standings in the GLVC:

East:

1. Parkside: Every body back except for Maz. Added a couple of D1 transfers who will help pick up the slack.

2. Lewis: Return 3 good players and have added a lot of good talent.

3. Belllarmine: Have some returning talent with Troutman and Davis. Going to need freshmen to play a big role.

4. USI: Good backcourt, questionable under the basket.

5. Indy: Lost everybody from last season and are counting on some iffy D1 xfers to rebuild.

6. UIS

7. St Joe

8. McKendree

West:

1. Quincy: Big team, talented and experienced. Not sure about coaching.

2. Drury: Added nice talent, always well coached.

3. Truman

4. UMSL

5. Rockhurst

6. S&T

7. Jewell

8. Maryville

Re: GLVC season prediction

Who are you? Jimmy the Greek? (I just enjoy making outdated references.)

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
      Thought I would make picks for divisional standings in the GLVC:

East:

1. Parkside: Every body back except for Maz. Added a couple of D1 transfers who will help pick up the slack.

2. Lewis: Return 3 good players and have added a lot of good talent.

3. Belllarmine: Have some returning talent with Troutman and Davis. Going to need freshmen to play a big role.

4. USI: Good backcourt, questionable under the basket.

5. Indy: Lost everybody from last season and are counting on some iffy D1 xfers to rebuild.

6. UIS

7. St Joe

8. McKendree

West:

1. Quincy: Big team, talented and experienced. Not sure about coaching.

2. Drury: Added nice talent, always well coached.

3. Truman

4. UMSL

5. Rockhurst

6. S&T

7. Jewell

8. Maryville
      These look fine, expect maybe move St. Joe's up a notch or two. They are better on paper than UIS. UIndy is going to struggle this season. Quincy is loaded, I agree with you about their coaching being questionable. Come tournament time I see UWP, Bellarmine, Drury as the favorites, but Quincy could win it. USI has great backcourt and lots of depth at that position, lots of question marks inside but some tall and athletic players competing for those spots.

Comment

I think this year may come down to where the top teams play each other. I agree with Moves top 3 picks in each division but I am not sure which order they will come down on. In the East, BU has the scheduling edge since they get Lewis and UWP at home plus the latter two have to play each other twice. BU's pod is easier as well (although USI is always tough games home and away.)

In the West it may come down to where QU and DU play each other. I'm too lazy to look but will say who ever has the home court will win the division. TSU will be third regardless unless Rockhurst continues to improve.

My picks (I think I did it before the threads were all lost):
        East
        1. BU
        2. UWP
        3. Lewis
        4. USI
        5. Indy
        6. St. Joe
        7. UIS
        8. McK

West
        1. QU (Looked it up and they are at home against DU, BU, although they play UWP and Lewis on road)
        2. DU (On the road against QU but they do get UWP and Lewis at home, BU on road)
        3. TSU
        4. Rockhurst
        5.UMSL
        6. MU
        7. S&T
        8. WJ

Comment

UIndy is better than some of the people are giving them credit for. Hounds added a 7-footer from Central Michigan, 6-9 power forward from Wright State, and good scoring guard from South Dakota in D.J. Davis who scored about 10 points a game at USD. Etherington and Davidosn underrated scorers for UIndy. No way they finish behind USI and UWP this season. USI is badly coached and no inside game, UWP lost their best player. I can see Bellarmine and Lewis top 2, but UIndy will get better s new players mesh with returning players.

Comment

My picks for the GLVC.

East
            1. Bellarmine
            2. Lewis
            3. UIndy
            4. UWP
            5. Saint Joe's
            6. Illinois-Springfield
            7. S. Indiana
            8. McKendree

West
            1. Quincy
            2. Drury
            3. Truman State
            4. UM-St. Louis
            5. Mo. S&T
            6. Rockhurst
            7. Maryville
            8. Jewell

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
              UIndy is better than some of the people are giving them credit for. Hounds added a 7-footer from Central Michigan, 6-9 power forward from Wright State, and good scoring guard from South Dakota in D.J. Davis who scored about 10 points a game at USD. Etherington and Davidosn underrated scorers for UIndy. No way they finish behind USI and UWP this season. USI is badly coached and no inside game, UWP lost their best player. I can see Bellarmine and Lewis top 2, but UIndy will get better s new players mesh with returning players.
              Love to see the input Greyhound, it is hard to get any info on Indy. Not a lot of chatter here and certainly no press coverage in Indy. My man Grad gets a little infuriated at the Indy coverage since he lives there and never sees anything about UIndy.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                Love to see the input Greyhound, it is hard to get any info on Indy. Not a lot of chatter here and certainly no press coverage in Indy. My man Grad gets a little infuriated at the Indy coverage since he lives there and never sees anything about UIndy.
                Graduated from UIndy and moved to Michigan for job a few years back, still keep up with the Hounds football and basketball. The paper and TVs never covered the Hounds when I was in school either. Still keep in touch, went to a football home game earlier this fall, and they lost to Marian. The basketball team has good transfers who will make impact, just need to mesh with the returning players. We did lose some good players, but the 7-footer and 6-9 transfer will be good. D.J. Davis might end up the best player on the team. We are under the radar by some in the preseason stuff, but thats OK. We always seem to be better than everyone thinks because our transfers are always very good. Some of the returnees are good players, know the system, will be a interesting year.

Comment

Parkside lost their two best players (Ziggy and Gavin) going in to last year and they did alright. Mazurczak was a great player, but Reigel is a great coach and will find a way to win. I know they got one pretty good D1 transfer and a couple of decent recruits. It's a shame that Parkside won't (can't?) invest something into this program. They been near the top of the league for the last five years, but they still can't get the support from the university. Last I knew (about 2 years ago), they could only offer 75% of the scholarship money of the max the conference allows. And that doesn't even address investing in facilities or their coaching staff. Their sustained success is truly amazing when those things are factored in.

Comment

Originally posted by UWPRangerDanger View Post
                    Parkside lost their two best players (Ziggy and Gavin) going in to last year and they did alright. Mazurczak was a great player, but Reigel is a great coach and will find a way to win. I know they got one pretty good D1 transfer and a couple of decent recruits. It's a shame that Parkside won't (can't?) invest something into this program. They been near the top of the league for the last five years, but they still can't get the support from the university. Last I knew (about 2 years ago), they could only offer 75% of the scholarship money of the max the conference allows. And that doesn't even address investing in facilities or their coaching staff. Their sustained success is truly amazing when those things are factored in.
                    Did not know that about the scholarship money at UWP. That is not good. At UIndy we are fully funded I think. I know with Pfeiffer moving from D-2 to D-3 in sports some schools are looking at that option to cut out money for athletic scholarships. A lot of people will be watching Pfeiffer and how it works out. Would UWP consider it, lots of good D-3 programs in Wisconsin with Stevens Point, Platteville, so on.

Comment

http://www.thesnaponline.com/opinion...5a13e4441.html

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                        My man Grad gets a little infuriated at the Indy coverage since he lives there and never sees anything about UIndy.
                        Yessir. Admittedly there's a lot going on here with the pro sports, etc., but I always feel sorry for the Hounds -- very solid athletics program which deserves more coverage.

Nice to have you on here, GradyGreyhound. We're a fun bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
                          The basketball team has good transfers who will make impact, just need to mesh with the returning players. We did lose some good players, but the 7-footer and 6-9 transfer will be good. D.J. Davis might end up the best player on the team. We are under the radar by some in the preseason stuff, but thats OK. We always seem to be better than everyone thinks because our transfers are always very good. Some of the returnees are good players, know the system, will be a interesting year.
                          I agree with you about Davis, I expect him to be very good for Indy. I am skeptical about the two big guys, neither of whom could get significant playing time at either of their prior schools, which were bottom D1 teams and leagues.
                          Of course, all I know is what I read, I haven't seen any of them play. By the way, Rockhurst has a similar 7 footer this year and USI already has one. These guys are capable of helping their teams by clogging the lane, blocking some shots and getting some rebounds, but none of them are going to be significant scorers and will have a great deal of difficulty in guarding the perimeter, something D2 teams routinely force big guys to do.

RangerDanger is hitting the nail on the head about Parkside. Every year they are underated and for the past five years they have outperformed expectations. They have 4 of 5 starters back from last season. Although they lost their leading scorer, they have returning players and additions who can make up the difference. I actually think Parkside will be better than last season. Look for Verhagen to pick up the scoring.

Love to see Indy and Parkside supporters getting into the discussion. I enjoy hearing how I am wrong and sometimes even hearing I am right.

Comment

Originally posted by UWPRangerDanger View Post
                            I did not realize the scholarship thing either. It is amazing how well the team has done. Once I saw your post, I looked up some of the student information. I was surprised that enrollment is under 4,000 full time students. The campus does have "huge tracts of land" which even though I saw in the early spring/winter month still looked quite impressive. I am puzzled that a state university would not fully fund the program though.

Comment

One thing D2 coaches are able to do that D1 coaches are not, is to split scholarships. This allows them to disribute their 10 scholarships (or less if not fully funded) among more than 10 people. With additional aid and scholarships, some student athletes can actually be on a full ride, or close to it, without using the whole athletic scholarship.

I am surprised that a state university would not fund their maxiumum in athletic scholarships.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X