Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GLVC season prediction

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
    One thing D2 coaches are able to do that D1 coaches are not, is to split scholarships. This allows them to disribute their 10 scholarships (or less if not fully funded) among more than 10 people. With additional aid and scholarships, some student athletes can actually be on a full ride, or close to it, without using the whole athletic scholarship.

I am surprised that a state university would not fund their maxiumum in athletic scholarships.
    I believe RangerDanger was saying that in effect UWP only funds the equivalent of 7.5 full scholarships for the program. If that is the case, I am amazed that the university would not fund fully.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
      I believe RangerDanger was saying that in effect UWP only funds the equivalent of 7.5 full scholarships for the program. If that is the case, I am amazed that the university would not fund fully.
      Yes, this is in effect what my point was. The information that I have is a couple of years old, but comes from a direct conversation with a coach. Parkside is a weird place. Kind of sits on the outside of Kenosha, but doesn't seem to have any kind of relationship with the town itself. It should be a nice location for recruiting, between Milwaukee and Chicago, but it is largely a commuter school with very little campus life. You have to get in a car to get to a bar or restaurant from campus. If a kid chooses Parkside for basketball, it is really only for basketball as there aren't many other factors that would make someone who isn't local go there.

I'd love to see what Reigel could do with a decent budget and facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by UWPRangerDanger View Post
        Yes, it is scary to think. He has done a great job the last five years even if he had normal conditions, no telling what he would do with full support.

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
          My picks for the GLVC.

East
          1. Bellarmine
          2. Lewis
          3. UIndy
          4. UWP
          5. Saint Joe's
          6. Illinois-Springfield
          7. S. Indiana

8. McKendree

West
          1. Quincy
          2. Drury
          3. Truman State
          4. UM-St. Louis
          5. Mo. S&T
          6. Rockhurst
          7. Maryville
          8. Jewell
          I am assuming you have USI and UI-Springfield confused in this ranking? Certainly anyone can put USI below Indianapolis and UWP, but to have USI picked to finish below both Springfield and St. Joe's is a bit of overkill, don't you think? USI has one of the best, deepest backcourts in the country. While Stan Gourard does consistently bring in talented transfers each year, his Xs and Os seem to hold back UIndy each year. I agree St. Joe's is a dangerous team, but USI is clearly above Springfield this season.

Comment

Graduated from UIndy and moved to Michigan for job a few years back, still keep up with the Hounds football and basketball. The paper and TVs never covered the Hounds when I was in school either. Still keep in touch, went to a football home game earlier this fall, and they lost to Marian. The basketball team has good transfers who will make impact, just need to mesh with the returning players. We did lose some good players, but the 7-footer and 6-9 transfer will be good. D.J. Davis might end up the best player on the team. We are under the radar by some in the preseason stuff, but thats OK. We always seem to be better than everyone thinks because our transfers are always very good. Some of the returnees are good players, know the system, will be a interesting year.
            UIndy sports are in a no-win situation trying to gain attention with the Colts, Pacers, Butler, IU, Purdue, IUPUI, fanatically followed high school sports as competition in the Indianapolis area. Your point about Division III and Pfeiffer is interesting for UW-Parkside when you consider their low funding in scholarships for basketball. I never understood why UWP insisted on competing at Division II when many of the state schools in Wisconsin are doing well in Division III. Some of those schools in that state are actually national powers in basketball and football.

Comment

Yes, this is in effect what my point was. The information that I have is a couple of years old, but comes from a direct conversation with a coach. Parkside is a weird place. Kind of sits on the outside of Kenosha, but doesn't seem to have any kind of relationship with the town itself. It should be a nice location for recruiting, between Milwaukee and Chicago, but it is largely a commuter school with very little campus life. You have to get in a car to get to a bar or restaurant from campus. If a kid chooses Parkside for basketball, it is really only for basketball as there aren't many other factors that would make someone who isn't local go there.

I had always heard that the reason Parkside did not get the athletic funding was because there are so many D3 schools up there and the state would prefer them to be D3 as well. Some of the D3 gyms up there are incredible from what I have heard and three of the last five D3 champs have been UW schools. Parkside is the only D2 school in the state so I think they get poor treatment for going against the grain.

Comment

Parkside lost their two best players (Ziggy and Gavin) going in to last year and they did alright. Mazurczak was a great player, but Reigel is a great coach and will find a way to win. I know they got one pretty good D1 transfer and a couple of decent recruits. It's a shame that Parkside won't (can't?) invest something into this program. They been near the top of the league for the last five years, but they still can't get the support from the university. Last I knew (about 2 years ago), they could only offer 75% of the scholarship money of the max the conference allows. And that doesn't even address investing in facilities or their coaching staff. Their sustained success is truly amazing when those things are factored in.
                The gym UWP plays its home games in is antiquated, and finding the campus is an adventure when one visits Kenosha/Somers for the first time. I did not know the 75% number for scholarships in basketball is limiting Reigel, he seems to be doing quite well the past few years. I do think they have benefited from a watered-down GLVC in recent years, with Bellarmine and Drury the only consistent programs. USI has obviously had some problems, Lewis is good one year, mediocre the next, and the additions of Jewell, Maryville, McKendree, etc., have only made the GLVC weaker in men's basketball. That does not take away from the great UWP season of last season, they were one of the best in the nation, or the year before when they were also very good. What would interesting is to find out how many schools in the GLVC do not fully fund men's basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthead View Post
                  I had always heard that the reason Parkside did not get the athletic funding was because there are so many D3 schools up there and the state would prefer them to be D3 as well. Some of the D3 gyms up there are incredible from what I have heard and three of the last five D3 champs have been UW schools. Parkside is the only D2 school in the state so I think they get poor treatment for going against the grain.
                  UWP would seem to be better off if they considered a move to Division III. Their travel would be minimal with all the D-3 programs in the state. If the state wants them in Division III, I'm shocked they remain in Division II. We all know Wisconsin has endured many economic problems recently, maybe that is why for the 75% scholarships?

Comment

And the official start of basketball practice is just hours away. Will the GLVC put out a preseason poll before the first exhibition games? They were late in posting polls last year if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                      I agree with you about Davis, I expect him to be very good for Indy. I am skeptical about the two big guys, neither of whom could get significant playing time at either of their prior schools, which were bottom D1 teams and leagues.
                      Of course, all I know is what I read, I haven't seen any of them play. By the way, Rockhurst has a similar 7 footer this year and USI already has one. These guys are capable of helping their teams by clogging the lane, blocking some shots and getting some rebounds, but none of them are going to be significant scorers and will have a great deal of difficulty in guarding the perimeter, something D2 teams routinely force big guys to do.

RangerDanger is hitting the nail on the head about Parkside. Every year they are underated and for the past five years they have outperformed expectations. They have 4 of 5 starters back from last season. Although they lost their leading scorer, they have returning players and additions who can make up the difference. I actually think Parkside will be better than last season. Look for Verhagen to pick up the scoring.

Love to see Indy and Parkside supporters getting into the discussion. I enjoy hearing how I am wrong and sometimes even hearing I am right.
                      I agree our 7-footer from Central Michigan is a question mark, but he's a presence in the middle, something we have been missing. The 6-9 transfer from Wright State is a good athlete, could be a double-double forward hopefully. Davis is a keeper, can score and be our best players this season.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
                        I am assuming you have USI and UI-Springfield confused in this ranking? Certainly anyone can put USI below Indianapolis and UWP, but to have USI picked to finish below both Springfield and St. Joe's is a bit of overkill, don't you think? USI has one of the best, deepest backcourts in the country. While Stan Gourard does consistently bring in talented transfers each year, his Xs and Os seem to hold back UIndy each year. I agree St. Joe's is a dangerous team, but USI is clearly above Springfield this season.
                        No, I do not have USI and Illinois-Springfield mixed up, I think the Prairie Stars finish ahead of USI. Steinberg for Springfield is 6-10 and way better than anyone USI has inside. Springfield has lots of guards, just like USI, and they add one of the best junior college guards in the country in Eddie Longmeyer. Heard UIndy wanted Longmeyer badly but he chose Springfield, close to his home in Missouri. USI does have good returning guards, they also have the worst coach in the GLVC by far. From what I have read by USI fans here is the coach is a lame duck, I would not put much confidence in a team facing that. Bellarmine, Lewis, UIndy, UWP, Saint Joe's, Illinois-Springfield, then USI in my predictions. BTW: USI lost at Springfield last season.

Comment

No, I do not have USI and Illinois-Springfield mixed up, I think the Prairie Stars finish ahead of USI. Steinberg for Springfield is 6-10 and way better than anyone USI has inside. Springfield has lots of guards, just like USI, and they add one of the best junior college guards in the country in Eddie Longmeyer. Heard UIndy wanted Longmeyer badly but he chose Springfield, close to his home in Missouri. USI does have good returning guards, they also have the worst coach in the GLVC by far. From what I have read by USI fans here is the coach is a lame duck, I would not put much confidence in a team facing that. Bellarmine, Lewis, UIndy, UWP, Saint Joe's, Illinois-Springfield, then USI in my predictions. BTW: USI lost at Springfield last season.
                          I believe you are going to be very wrong with your assessment of USI. Yes, we lost a road game at UIS last season, but you do not point out we beat them at the PAC. You also failed to mention UIS lost two very good scorers and they have a head coach with a terrible record. For you to compare the UIS guards to those at USI is just not reasonable. Most of the guards at UIS, and I looked it up, are just role players from last season. Yes, it appears they added a very good JUCO guard, but USI has at least three guards as good or better than him.

Since you are a UIndy fan, let's discuss your team. I see no experience at all, borderline transfers who may or may not pan out, and a lot of guys who averaged about 4-5 points per game last year. Throw in your head coach, who has struggled mightily when it comes to tournament play, and I see no reason you should be throwing stones at the USI season. I admit Watson is on the hot seat this season, and if USI fails to win 20 games and make the NCAAs, I believe he will be fired. So you are somewhat correct calling our coach a lame duck, but only if they fail to reach certain levels of success this season.

Comment

I believe you are going to be very wrong with your assessment of USI. Yes, we lost a road game at UIS last season, but you do not point out we beat them at the PAC. You also failed to mention UIS lost two very good scorers and they have a head coach with a terrible record. For you to compare the UIS guards to those at USI is just not reasonable. Most of the guards at UIS, and I looked it up, are just role players from last season. Yes, it appears they added a very good JUCO guard, but USI has at least three guards as good or better than him.

Since you are a UIndy fan, let's discuss your team. I see no experience at all, borderline transfers who may or may not pan out, and a lot of guys who averaged about 4-5 points per game last year. Throw in your head coach, who has struggled mightily when it comes to tournament play, and I see no reason you should be throwing stones at the USI season. I admit Watson is on the hot seat this season, and if USI fails to win 20 games and make the NCAAs, I believe he will be fired. So you are somewhat correct calling our coach a lame duck, but only if they fail to reach certain levels of success this season.
                            We'll see when UIndy plays USI this season. Not throwing stones at USI, but you said in a post UIndy is going to struggle. Just sounded funny coming from a USI fan, your team is not even in the running for anything other than to maybe qualify for the GLVC Tournament. Let me know later this season when USI has a record of 11-10 and not in the regional rankings.

Comment

Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
                              In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
                              Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball
                              And I loved that basketball
                              I took that basketball with me everywhere I went
                              That basketball was like a basketball to me
                              I even put that basketball underneath my pillow
                              Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night.
                              Sorry, I'm just JONES-ING for basketball.

Comment

And the official start of basketball practice is just hours away. Will the GLVC put out a preseason poll before the first exhibition games? They were late in posting polls last year if I recall correctly.
                                The GLVC is the worst when it comes to putting out preseason polls in a timely fashion. The commissioner probably thinks it will draw more interest if they wait until the end of the month. If they knew what they were doing, they should have tried to be the first D-2 league to get their basketball polls out to the public. I can't believe it's October 14th and no basketball polls out. How hard is it to get the coaches to vote and count the ballots? I understand why the G-MAC would struggle with this, no one cares about the G-MAC except the bunch in Owensboro.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X