Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by panthersclawz1 View Post

Was not able to attend, but based on current personnel, I'd expect something like a 16-12 record heading into the conference tournament and that's without injuries. Out in the second round, no national tournament berth.
    Despite being a small lineup, I see the starters as Beth Matas Martin, Caitlynn Daniels, Kaylee King, Reese Schaaf, and Anna Hitt. Maybe when play gets a little more organized someone else will stand out.
    I will say this in general about the game of basketball after watching about 10 games last Sunday: The biggest player on the court should not be concerned about shooting 3's when they struggle to make a layup. You have to question the off season work ethic and desire of a college player who can't finish shots at the rim when they stand several inches taller than everyone else. A guard should not be able to score off an offensive rebound better than someone 6 inches taller and stronger.

Last edited by crazznewt; 06-13-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Another cool thing about this site is the private message option. I've had unread messages I didn't realize was there. If you've been on this site a while, you probably have a message waiting.

Comment

• A few quick thoughts on the Drury teams and the Pro Am:

*The men are better than last year.
        Prediction.. 6'8" Freshman Juok Riak will be Drury's 2nd straight GLVC Freshman Of the Year.
        This kid is an athlete with skill. He put on a show Sunday with several dunks. On one play, he had the ball in the left corner where he was bodied aggressively by a defender. He drove right, briefly turned his back to the defender who had help, backed a couple steps to the lane, pivoted, fought off at least two slapping at the ball and threw down a high and hard two hand dunk that had the crowd buzzing. I hope he stays four years.

*Based on his current level of play, last season's league rookie of the year, Logan Applegate, will make all GLVC again. He gets his shot about anytime he wants and is starting to remind me of Alex Hall-of-famer.

*Redshirt freshman Luke Stubbs has improved his game immensely. He has an excellent mid range shot and can play a physical game if needed. He does not back down to anyone on the court. I think he'll play.

*Looks like Andrew Dalton transferred to C of O. He'll help them.

*Assistant Coach Carr's son, Cameron, is probably the best player in the league and will obviously follow his dad's footsteps to the NBA. He has signed with Tennessee.

*Caitlynn Daniels looks like she has been working hard on her game. She is deceptively strong and quick. At this point, I think she starts at point guard and garners post season league honors in March.

*Kaylee King reminds me so much of former Walnut Grove and SBU player Faith Gilkey. If Kaylee's defensive game catches up to her offense, the sky is the limit.

*Makaiya Brooks is a step slow for a typical Drury player, but her shot release is one of the quickest around. She has shown her crowd pleasing ability to score in bunches.

*At early glance, the Lady Panthers will not be a deep talented team like the past. I think Aiden Moxness is key. Hopefully she is working on "go to" shots around the goal.

*On the subject of go to shots, I have known college players who had elevated their inside game greatly by including the game of h-o-r-s-e to their routine. These people worked on shots from every angle...even jumping from out of bounds to make a reaching layup. The goal was to be comfortable finishing shots from WHEREVER the ball happened to come to you..even behind the backboard! Some coaches frown on practicing unorthodox shots, like long jumping from one side of the lane to the other for a layup like Alana Findley did routinely. We all could name high scoring players who were unorthodox at times, like Damitz shooting scoop shots against opposing bigs from her hip and Findley's incredible drives that even the best shot blockers couldn't reach.

*Jasmine Gray has been playing with the Lady Panthers, but Drury hasn't announced anything about her. I think she originally signed with Washburn.

*I agree with Nyla's philosophy of hiring "Someone she can trust" to lead the program as Bailey left Quincy in a lot better shape than it was before she got there.

Edit: I talked to someone close to the program Sunday evening who said Clevenger's transfer to Central Missouri was mainly for academic reasons and the basketball was just a bonus.
        Last edited by crazznewt; 06-21-2023, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• To say everyone was encouraged who attended the "Meet and Greet" for the Drury programs last night is an understatement. More people attended this simple event than what some other programs draw to their games. It's this support that sets them apart.

Expectations for the Drury Men were already high, but news that coach Foster's health is on the upswing and the final important piece to the roster is on campus has raised the enthusiasm level.

Coach Bailey said another recruit might be in the works for the women. One more key piece would put them in a very good situation IMO.

Comment

• Here is a bold prediction..6'8" Drury freshman to be, Juok Riak, will be at least a second team all GLVC selection. This kid is power dunking off of rebounds repeatedly in traffic against very good and very big athletes. He covers a lot of floor with his drop steps and pivots. He is big time. If he stays 4 years he will be an all American at least two times.
            Ryan Gordon was an excellent pick-up for the Panthers. He is very quick, strong and finishes against the biggest defenders well, and is a great team player.

Barring injury, this should be the best Panther team in a decade.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see how Drury's 6'9" Riek Riek fits into Drury's gameplan as he sometimes gets bodied out of position.

Strengths IMO:

*Can play the whole floor on defense and offense.

*Good shooter from three, even off the dribble.

*Runs the floor very well

*Can bring the ball up

*Has an enormous wingspan

*Has a good attitude.

*Can dominate the game in a good way at times

I think Drury will be a deep team, and they are doing much better in the Summer Pro Am than in the previous couple of years.

My starters:

*G /6'2"/ SO Logan Applegate

*G / 6'3"/ JR Brock Wakefield or 6'2"/ SO PJ Ngambi

*F /6'9"/JR Riek Riek or 6'6"/ GR Adam Moore

*F "/6'6"/" JR Ryan Gordon (note the quotes)

*F /6'8" / FR Juok Riak
              Last edited by crazznewt; 06-27-2023, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• This Lady Panther team will have a bigger target on them than ever. The perception is that this won't be the typical loaded Drury team featuring a deep roster of scorers and defenders. I honestly don't see the Lady Panthers as being a deep talented team AT THIS POINT.

Out of seven standout players, I see six capable scorers and 5 capable of continuing the tradition of defending. There are 2 to 4 more who might perform better once acclimated to the team.

I don't normally make predictions, but I think they might lose some games they traditionally win and the total losses might be higher. I also think at the end of the season, because of the all - around support this team has, they will upset Lewis for their 8th straight GLVC title.

Rivals Lewis, Indianapolis, Rockhurst, Truman, and SBU will take note of the Drury game date when the schedule is released. There is a GLVC coach that once stated Drury was "just another game" and nothing else, then proceeded to talk trash before and after the game.
                Point being, tough games are coming, it will be fun to watch.

Keep an eye on 5'5" Diamond High School senior to be, Grace Frazier. She plays for "Chaos" in the Pro-Am.
                No one in this league has proven she can be guarded and her playing style reminds strongly of Kaylee DaMitz Holt.
                She scored 40 in a sectional championship loss last season against a very good Fair Grove team, a feat that is even more impressive considering high schools only play 32 minute games. I hope Drury gets her.

Comment

• It was good to see the Drury Women split-squad beat the previously undefeated "Fine Wines", a team of old college players including Kaylee DaMitz Holt and Lexi Vaught to end the Summer Pro-Am.
                  Also good to see a Drury Men split-squad beat previously undefeated "Shot Clock Cheese", which includes players from SBU to end the session.

Study the first link below. I'm missing something.

https://twitter.com/Bball_Zee2021

https://twitter.com/isis_brown01

Interesting pick up for SBU

Comment

• Do you see Drury moving to the MIAA?

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                      Do you see Drury moving to the MIAA?
                      That move wouldn't make sense to me for a couple of reasons. Drury's enrollment is around 2,000.The MIAA member schools are mostly state institutions with much larger enrollments than those in the GLVC. Another reason is that football is big in the MIAA and Drury doesn't field a team.

Again, that move wouldn't make sense to me, but hey, there is A LOT not making sense right now, including a Baptist University recruiting an outspoken Muslim to play basketball. Although, there is one and only one scenario that would make sense.

Have you heard rumors indicating a possible move?

Comment

• Mostly just speculation on the football board as the MIAA is talking about expanding.

Comment

• Truman has posted their roster and it shows Weltha is returning for her grad season. The addition of Bailey Kliewer (the transfer forward from Rogers State) and transfer Ainsley Tolson, has lessened the impact of losing Belanger, Stugart and Fanning.
                          SBU has their Roster up and it shows they have not hired an assistant coach yet.

Comment

• SBU lost a lot off of last season's team also. Coach Keiser is an assistant at Pepperdine, Emma Perry is on the Park University roster, and their leading scorer Kelsey Blakemore is not listed on the current roster. However, they return 6'6" Tori Hamilton and her enormous potential.

Watch out for Maryville Women, they are loaded.

Less than 3 months 'till balls start bouncing and shoes start squeaking officially. Praying for an uninterrupted season of health for everyone.

Comment

• Stumbled on a couple of things while surfing the tangled web:

*Former Panther Dalton Gayman will play for Purdue Northwest this coming season. This will be the fourth school he has attended.

*His former Drury teammate Myles Samuels will play for
                              Saint Martin in the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck to these guys.

*I've stumbled upon a lot of reliable eye opening information while searching. "While they slept" comes to mind.

How many NCAA basketball players does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one. But he gets money, a car, and three credit hours for it.

Comment

• The GLVC is going to a pay per view format for all their sports streaming. Viewers will pay $10 dollars per game, purchase a football/basketball package for $75 or an all sports package for a hundred. Apparently there will be an additional fee for all championship games.

Also, Diamond High star Grace Frazier will play basketball for Missouri Southern in 2024-2025

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X