Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles

Originally posted by EagleWhip View Post
    Watson is not going to be relieved of coaching responsibilities. The administration at USI loves having Watson, 'a good guy', in charge of the basketball program. If his won/loss record were a parameter for deciding if he stays or goes, he would have been gone a few years ago. Sadly, the program built by Pearl and continued by Herdes has reverted back to the program led by Sinn or Bial.
    The D1 talk needs to end. As long as Jonmarie is ad it would be a clown show. Does anyone think she could run a d1 program even in the worst league?

Comment

No way USI goes DI with Robama and JMH leading the show and your main revenue generating program missing or struggling to make the DII tournament every year.

That pipe dream needs to be put away for a while.

The new arena is mainly a nice place to hold graduation, not big tome basketball games.

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
      The D1 talk needs to end. As long as Jonmarie is ad it would be a clown show. Does anyone think she could run a d1 program even in the worst league?

Comment

Making a Regional final in 3 years is pretty aggressive, IMO. Even with a great coach, it takes a little luck as well - especially in this region. It took Hesser 8 years to reach one and anyone who doesn't think he's one of the best D2 coaches in the country would be an idiot.

Also, yes, USI going DI with the leadership they currently have would likely be a joke....but let's not act like it couldn't be done. If SIU-E can do it, anyone can. They had better teams when they were D2 than they do now...and it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
          Making a Regional final in 3 years is pretty aggressive, IMO. Even with a great coach, it takes a little luck as well - especially in this region. It took Hesser 8 years to reach one and anyone who doesn't think he's one of the best D2 coaches in the country would be an idiot.

Also, yes, USI going DI with the leadership they currently have would likely be a joke....but let's not act like it couldn't be done. If SIU-E can do it, anyone can. They had better teams when they were D2 than they do now...and it's not even close.

Comment

Same number of wins in the postseason as Wod.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
              Same number of wins in the postseason as Wod.

Comment

I think the comparison is not quite apples to apples. Wod took over a program where year in and year out the expectation for the team was a run in the NCAA tourney. Not making the tourney, not winning one and going home after getting blown out in round 2. Hesser took over 1 year before they moved to the GLVC. I think a better question would be if Hesser retired at the end of the year would the next coach get 10 years with only 1 tournament win and multiple years not even making the tournament? I would bet 100-1 odds the answer would be no.

You add on top of that a brand new facility in a region where our resources are deeper than most? There is no logical explanation to settle at some level below mediocrity. The University has a golden opportunity to right the ship moving into this new arena. It will be a massive opportunity lost not to cash in with a brand new, young and hungry staff in the best arena in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                  I think the comparison is not quite apples to apples. Wod took over a program where year in and year out the expectation for the team was a run in the NCAA tourney. Not making the tourney, not winning one and going home after getting blown out in round 2. Hesser took over 1 year before they moved to the GLVC. I think a better question would be if Hesser retired at the end of the year would the next coach get 10 years with only 1 tournament win and multiple years not even making the tournament? I would bet 100-1 odds the answer would be no.

You add on top of that a brand new facility in a region where our resources are deeper than most? There is no logical explanation to settle at some level below mediocrity. The University has a golden opportunity to right the ship moving into this new arena. It will be a massive opportunity lost not to cash in with a brand new, young and hungry staff in the best arena in the region.

Comment

Not sure about the new arena (I also think it's next season), but I do know that the pep band has now recorded the new fight song and it will be premiered at homecoming (Feb 16, UIS)

Comment

New fight song "Hit the road Jack" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                        Missed opportunity there.

This one is titled "Fight On, Screaming Eagles". They had a contest for students to submit new lyrics and then they set them to music.

Comment

Will the band have a better, designated area in the new arena? It is needed!

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                          Missed opportunity there.

This one is titled "Fight On, Screaming Eagles". They had a contest for students to submit new lyrics and then they set them to music.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfMafia View Post
                            Will the band have a better, designated area in the new arena? It is needed!
                            I sure hope so. My hunch is that they're planning on putting us on the floor behind the goal, like we've done at the Ford Center. But that's just speculation.

Comment

You gotta admit....this was pretty funny.

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post

Comment

I want to say he was around 1-5. Then he won 9 in a row.

I'm not defending Watson, I wouldn't want him coaching my team. I'm just saying it's dangerous to look at just one thing and say "he's got to get here in 3 years or he isn't good enough". You need to look at a guy's body of work and make that decision. Hesser has won everywhere he's ever been, and he won a lot at Drury, against good teams, before he ever made a regional final. On the other hand, the guy he replaced at Drury MADE a regional final the year he got fired. But everyone who seriously followed the program knew he couldn't get it done consistently because he had been mediocre (playing mediocre competition) for years prior to that and the program was headed in the wrong direction. Record-wise, this is Hesser's second worst team in his Drury tenure - and they can still beat anyone in the conference on a given night (except maybe Bellarmine at Bellarmine - that would take a small miracle).

There's been some really good coaches in the GLVC in the past 10 years who didn't make a regional final in their first 3. Hesser wouldn't be the only one in that category - I think you could include Todd Lee in there as well. I don't think Luke Reigel has ever been to a Regional Final, even though he won the GLVC East 4 years in a row. I think Davenport and Bezold both made it in year 3.

To me, the main question you ask when evaluating a coach is, "can he have less talent than you have and still beat you". With Hesser, and Scotty, they've proven the answer is yes. With Watson, he has to have more talent than you and even then he only beats you 60% of the time. Davenport could win at any school in the league. If Watson was at UMSL or Jewell instead of USI he'd have a lifetime .500 record.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X