Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
    Juco coaches get a bad rap and ads have head up those own to smell own farts too much. Was like that with d2 coaches until pearl Hawkins Harper and waltman gotnhired and proved many wrong

If anything without question Franklins off court efforts and presence would be national championship caliber vs this suburban community center youth league no score kept in games effort by WoD.
    Never seen one of Franklin's teams play, but I wouldn't be a fan of my team hiring a guy based on Juco experience. Not that I think he wouldn't be better than what you've got (actually it's highly likely he would), but I don't think Juco coaches get a bad rap...I think it's just a totally different game in the NJCAA. There it's 95% recruiting. There are basically no standards, you've only got the kids for 2 years and almost every one of them hangs their hat on how many kids they can say they sent D1. I've seen a lot of Juco teams that have been highly successful at that level - but were poorly coached on the floor and wouldn't have a prayer of winning an NCAA D2 Regional.

The team we got Teddy Simniok from (Missouri State West Plains) went to Hutch when he was a senior and was ranked #1 in NJCAA D1 at one point. They had 4 or 5 D1 players, plus Simniok, and Bellarmine would have beaten them by 25.

Comment

The point is there are PLENTY of coaches that could get better, or at worst the same, results as Wod but by simply engaging with the community and the student body it would put them heads and shoulders above Wod. His lack of success is hurting the ENTIRE Athletics department because of the lack of success with our main revenue generating sport.

USI basketball used to be an event for USI students, now students are not interested in going to the games at all. I remember a time when you didn't want to miss a game, as a student I may have missed 1 or 2 home games in my entire four years. Wod has sucked almost all of the enthusiasm out of the program, get rid of him while there is still a chance to correct the wrong.

Comment

While there are Jucos out there that adhere to the no standards policy, Franklin is not one of them. His programs never have bad apples because his coaching style would run them off. Being a successful recruiter is a lot about connections. He has those connections across all levels of basketball. His teams at SIC used to scrimmage KWC when they were a top 5 program and he would destroy them.

Yes, the recruiting game is much different at the D II level, but the GLVC conference has been the benefactor of many ex Franklin players. Ike McClure and Mohammed at USI, Troy Long at UMSL several years ago are a few right off the top of my head.

I will take a proven winner over someone who kept stats on the bench any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
        Never seen one of Franklin's teams play, but I wouldn't be a fan of my team hiring a guy based on Juco experience. Not that I think he wouldn't be better than what you've got (actually it's highly likely he would), but I don't think Juco coaches get a bad rap...I think it's just a totally different game in the NJCAA. There it's 95% recruiting. There are basically no standards, you've only got the kids for 2 years and almost every one of them hangs their hat on how many kids they can say they sent D1. I've seen a lot of Juco teams that have been highly successful at that level - but were poorly coached on the floor and wouldn't have a prayer of winning an NCAA D2 Regional.

The team we got Teddy Simniok from (Missouri State West Plains) went to Hutch when he was a senior and was ranked #1 in NJCAA D1 at one point. They had 4 or 5 D1 players, plus Simniok, and Bellarmine would have beaten them by 25.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
          Mr Franklin has been a successful JUCO coach and may turn out to be a great D2 coach if given a chance. I doubt he could overhaul the talent level in one year. Recruiting is much different in the NCAA than in JUCO. Once you establish yourself as a good JUCO coach, you can get some talented players who are not NCAA qualifiers. That is the reason they are going to JUCO to begin with. Success in JUCO recruiting does not transfer to the NCAA. Is there a good example of a JUCO coach who had immediate sucess at D2? (A real question, not argument).

Look at Bruce Pearl and Scott Davenport's pre D2 coaching experience. It's as high level D1 assistants. The trouble is that those positions have become so lucrative, that D2 teams can't afford to hire them away.

Comment

• Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
            While there are Jucos out there that adhere to the no standards policy, Franklin is not one of them. His programs never have bad apples because his coaching style would run them off. Being a successful recruiter is a lot about connections. He has those connections across all levels of basketball. His teams at SIC used to scrimmage KWC when they were a top 5 program and he would destroy them.

Yes, the recruiting game is much different at the D II level, but the GLVC conference has been the benefactor of many ex Franklin players. Ike McClure and Mohammed at USI, Troy Long at UMSL several years ago are a few right off the top of my head.

I will take a proven winner over someone who kept stats on the bench any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
              BU, for instance, fired their long time coach, Joe Riebel, who was a good coach and very good person, and then went through 3 coaches in 10 years before hiring Davenport.
              Valvano slowly started to right the ship after Reibel, but, if memory serves, his leaving was voluntary and basically due to a lack of administrative support (not like what Scotty enjoys these days). I understand how the USI guys feel, at least as far as post-season success (or the lack thereof), as I was miserable during the absolutely dreadful Charlie Just and Chris Pullem years at Bellarmine (and we couldn't even dream of the post-season during those brutal seven or so years); I was still at Knights Hall back then and would get so mad at the state of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
                Valvano slowly started to right the ship after Reibel, but, if memory serves, his leaving was voluntary and basically due to a lack of administrative support (not like what Scotty enjoys these days). I understand how the USI guys feel, at least as far as post-season success (or the lack thereof), as I was miserable during the absolutely dreadful Charlie Just and Chris Pullem years at Bellarmine (and we couldn't even dream of the post-season during those brutal seven or so years); I was still at Knights Hall back then and would get so mad at the state of the program.
                Letting Just switch sides was just plain dumb. Pullem was just bff with the AD.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
                  Letting Just switch sides was just plain dumb. Pullem was just bff with the AD.
                  Accurate on both points. I'm not even sure Just bothered to recruit after making the switch.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Have you dug into this guy's background? He has a lot of Glenn Poshard in him. Mr Culture and Diversity lives in the most non-diverse area of the Evansville area. This guy is a clown.....

Comment

• Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                          Have you dug into this guy's background? He has a lot of Glenn Poshard in him. Mr Culture and Diversity lives in the most non-diverse area of the Evansville area. This guy is a clown.....

Comment

There is no doubt about. Whatever the SJWs touch ultimately ends up being destroyed.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X