Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Regional Rankings

For Saturday/Sunday:
    1) Bellarmine (1-0 this week) -- IDLE until March 2 (GLVC Quarterfinals as #1 seed)
    2) Southern Indiana (0-1) -- IDLE until March 2 (GLVC Quarterfinals as #3 seed)
    3) Ferris State (1-0) -- IDLE until February 28 (GLIAC Quarterfinals as #1 seed vs. Hillsdale)
    4) Kentucky Wesleyan (0-0) -- at Trevecca Nazarene (Saturday; 4 p.m. CT)
    5) Findlay (1-0) -- IDLE until February 28 (GLIAC Quarterfinals as #2 seed vs. Grand Valley)
    6) Quincy (1-0) -- IDLE until March 2 (GLVC Quarterfinals as #2 seed)
    7) Truman (0-1) -- vs. Missouri S&T (Sunday; 3 p.m. CT -- GLVC opening round)
    8) UW-Parkside (1-0) -- IDLE until March 2 (GLVC Quarterfinals as #4 seed)

9) Lake Superior State (1-0) -- IDLE until February 28 (GLIAC Quarterfinals as #3 seed vs. Ashland)
    10) Wayne State (1-0) -- IDLE until February 28 (GLIAC Quarterfinals as #5 seed at Michigan Tech)

Comment

KWC beat Salem International by 70 points on Presidents Day.

Comment

Not meaning to look ahead too far but I am curious - has it been published anywhere what the pairings are for the elite 8, i.e. what regions play each other in that round?

Comment

EDIT
          Last edited by schnautza; 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
            Not meaning to look ahead too far but I am curious - has it been published anywhere what the pairings are for the elite 8, i.e. what regions play each other in that round?
            The national committee will seed the regional winners so that there is a 1/8, 4/5, 2/7, 3/6 format this year. I honestly can't remember though if they started this last year or if this is the first season for it at D2 MBB level.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
              Looks like this:

Atlantic---------------------------------------------South
              Central-----------------------------------------Southeast
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              East ---------------------------------------South Central
              Midwest---------------------------------------------West

Source: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...l_20161206.pdf
              Cool, thanks! You ever thought about applying to be an SID somewhere? You'd do a helluva job!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
                The national committee will seed the regional winners so that there is a 1/8, 4/5, 2/7, 3/6 format this year. I honestly can't remember though if they started this last year or if this is the first season for it at D2 MBB level.
                Yeah, you are right. I didn't read the fine print. I forgot they did that.

"The eight advancing teams to the Elite Eight will be seeded by the Division II Men's Basketball Committee following completion of the regionals"

Comment

Cool, thanks! You ever thought about applying to be an SID somewhere? You'd do a helluva job!
                  Eh, I was wrong on this one. Tyler got it right. I'm about to delete that post.

Comment

It started last year when #2 Augustana defeated #1 Lincoln Memorial for the National Championship.

Mercifully the great purge of old threads on this site a few months ago wiped away boatcapt's nonsensical argument about why the seeding approach was rigged and far worse than the pre-set Regional quarterfinal alignment.

Comment

Oh, well, can't win them all, schnautza.

Seeding like that is probably the "fairest" way to do it, assuming the national committee has some way of objectively comparing teams from the different regions...

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        It started last year when #2 Augustana defeated #1 Lincoln Memorial for the National Championship.

Mercifully the great purge of old threads on this site a few months ago wiped away boatcapt's nonsensical argument about why the seeding approach was rigged and far worse than the pre-set Regional quarterfinal alignment.
                        I highly doubt it's rigged, though I do think since teams don't get much exposure outside their own region it would be questionable how the committee can accurately compare the teams apples to apples. BUT...once you're down to the last (and presumably "best") 8 teams, it's not like you could screw it up TOO bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Yeah, he got really upset at how I said I felt embarrassed for IUP who just got pulverized in the championship game by Florida Southern...when FSC had just beaten Bellarmine in a cutthroat matchup that ought to have been the championship.

Comment

Oh, well, can't win them all, schnautza.
                            I may not know a darn thing about playing the game, but I'm all about digging up stats and other information. I guess every board needs a band geek somewhere.

Comment

I am for the reseeding in the final eight, but I do think its questionable how it can be done objectively. No matter what the committee does, however, it is likely to be more accurate than just radomly assigning regions to play each other. I do think you are going to see a bias toward traditional powers, which is probably to the Midwest region's benefit. It may be a time when the dumb, stupid, ignorant polls that we all laugh at have some influence.

Seems like the committee did well last year, they got the #1 and #2 in the final. In all honesty, I think their best test is the old eye ball test. Watch the eight teams in their best wins of the season and make a basketball judgment.

BTW, the mention of Lincoln Memorial reminds me that IMO they will be the team to beat in the tournament. Big, long, quick, they look like a Power 5 D1 team in warm ups. They had a rocky start but have righted their ship. In terms of talent, nobody in our region is close to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                                BTW, the mention of Lincoln Memorial reminds me that IMO they will be the team to beat in the tournament. Big, long, quick, they look like a Power 5 D1 team in warm ups. They had a rocky start but have righted their ship. In terms of talent, nobody in our region is close to them.
                                Northwest Missouri and more specifically Justin Pitts looks nothing like a Power 5 D1 team but I bet they will give Lincoln Memorial everything they can handle at the Pentagon in March. Lincoln still has Pinson, Choice, and Terry who are as talented as they come in D2 but I see their team FT shooting is even lower (70% vs 72%) than it was last year when they clanked their way through the National Semi's and Finals.

Should NW Mo get to the Elite 8 they will be playing in an extremely familiar setting since they have played 6 games there during the last two Central Regionals.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X