Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New bellarmine thread

Recruiting against some of the "big boys" at a new NCAA-sanctioned showcase event in Shelbyville, KY:
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ky/1535053001/

P.S. Those purple seats at UNA look nice -- I've always liked that color.

Comment

Good news -- the Pedro Bradshaw transfer is official. Would be fantastic if he can get three years of eligibility.
      https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/new...s-knights.aspx

Comment

The ASUN just published a cool graphics album on Facebook about the Knights.

From the ASUN:

Last week, the ASUN Conference announced Bellarmine University as the 10th member of league. The Knights are set to join the league for the 2020-21 academic year. Flip through our gallery to read more about the success of the Knights! #SwordsUpBU

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ASUNConf...56532246118412
        Last edited by UNALions; 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
          The ASUN just published a cool graphics album on Facebook about the Knights.

From the ASUN:

Last week, the ASUN Conference announced Bellarmine University as the 10th member of league. The Knights are set to join the league for the 2020-21 academic year. Flip through our gallery to read more about the success of the Knights! #SwordsUpBU

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ASUNConf...56532246118412
          Love it. Thanks for the scoop!

Comment

Anybody else concerned that the Knights will be distracted in the final year in D2?

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
              Anybody else concerned that the Knights will be distracted in the final year in D2?
              No, they'll want to go out on a high.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                No, they'll want to go out on a high.
                Agreed. Bitter taste over how last season ended, along with a number of eager new faces, also should help them stay focused.

The squad this season will have a different feel and will play a faster tempo.
                Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 06-26-2019, 02:28 AM. Reason: typo.

Comment

As the charm of small-college sports vanishes, Bellarmine follows NKU to Division I

https://www.nkytribune.com/2019/06/d...to-division-i/

Comment

I fully support the move to Div 1 but fear that 5 or 10 years down the road NCAA Division I may fracture into a lower and upper division and BU may find themselves outside of the upper tier again. Over 350 division one basketball programs and growing each year. Is there a possibility this could happen similar to the football FBS/FCS fracture? The dynamics are somewhat different than football because of the prohibitive cost of big time football, but nonetheless this worries me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by #1KnightFan View Post
                      As the charm of small-college sports vanishes, Bellarmine follows NKU to Division I

https://www.nkytribune.com/2019/06/d...to-division-i/
                      Wow. Very good article by NKU's former SID.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
                        I fully support the move to Div 1 but fear that 5 or 10 years down the road NCAA Division I may fracture into a lower and upper division and BU may find themselves outside of the upper tier again. Over 350 division one basketball programs and growing each year. Is there a possibility this could happen similar to the football FBS/FCS fracture? The dynamics are somewhat different than football because of the prohibitive cost of big time football, but nonetheless this worries me a bit.
                        Good question. I've wondered about that a bit as well.

If anything, I could see the so-called Power Five breaking away, either from the NCAA entirely or as a I-A of sorts. Even if that were to occur, though, Bellarmine being in a I-AA situation (and say facing OVC, Horizon, C-USA, etc. opponents) would still be more interesting and competitive than remaining D-II.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
                          Good question. I've wondered about that a bit as well.

If anything, I could see the so-called Power Five breaking away, either from the NCAA entirely or as a I-A of sorts. Even if that were to occur, though, Bellarmine being in a I-AA situation (and say facing OVC, Horizon, C-USA, etc. opponents) would still be more interesting and competitive than remaining D-II.
                          Yeah, we've had this discussion a lot on the UNA forums. But, who knows how it will all go really. Even UCONN going back to the Big East could have ripples all the way to the ASUN and even D2. You never know.

Like that article mentioned, finding DI non-con opponents to come play you at home will be very tough during the transition (our old-school rival - Jax State - was the only one that did for us). Yet, UNA men's hoops traveled to face Pitt, St. Louis, UNC-Greensboro, Gonzaga, etc.

We were just discussing earlier on our boards that our baseball schedule is posted and includes several cool matchups - including a full series with Louisville. I'm a little surprised Ole Miss scheduled us again since UNA upset them this past season.

https://roarlions.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
                            I have been silent about the move for awhile now. I am still convinced it is a mistake. I think the administration is expecting too much financial gain from the move. As the NKU author of the article stated though "you are who you play," and it goes without argument that the competition in D2 has really fallen off. The FBS/FCS type fracture might be a good thing at least improving BU's competition, although it would negate the supposed financial benefits the administration is expecting from D1.

I am also not thrilled with the prospect of no home games until January. I don't see that changing until they build a new arena. I imagine they will try to use Freedom Hall to entice some schools to come here, but it is not going to happen for a couple of years at least. Maybe UofL will let them use YUM for a game against someone like UCLA. In the end our season tickets will go up and we will get to see less games. I am depressed enough already!

Comment

Was just looking back at UNA non-conference play this first year of transition.

Women's soccer got several DI's to visit Florence to play.
                              Volleyball had no home matches until ASUN play.
                              Womens's hoops had several home games against non-DI schools. In-state HBCU Alabama State was the only DI team to come to Florence in the regular season.
                              Men's hoops hosted three non-DI schools and our old-school rival Jax State was the only DI to come play in Florence. They traveled to 11 DI schools before ASUN play.
                              Baseball only played at home twice in their first 19 games.
                              Softball hosted only 3 of 21 non-conference games (all DI schools).
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• https://www.wlky.com/article/bellarm...alist/28201117

BU's first D-I scholarship offer goes to 6'6" forward Kooper Jacobi of Silver Creek (IN):
                                https://www.newsandtribune.com/sport...8372843a5.html
                                Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 06-27-2019, 02:41 AM. Reason: added P.S.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X