Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Football Conferences

Just curious, is there a reason why some conferences want/require all of their members to play football?

Re: All Football Conferences

Because real schools play football!!! Hahahaha!!! Seriously though, I think it comes down to having every team play football insures a more level playing field across all sports. Hard for team A to compete in say basketball against team B when team A plays football, and there fore commits the largest part of their athletic budget to football, and team B, which does NOT play football, commits most of it's similar annual budget toward basketball. Also, having all teams sponsor football typically means that conferences can be smaller which increases efficiency and the amount of $'s each school gets when the conference distributes their NCAA $'s.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
      Just curious, is there a reason why some conferences want/require all of their members to play football?
      I also think it has to do with the culture of the conference. Some schools worry that the non-football schools will vote in ways to de-emphasize football.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        I also think it has to do with the culture of the conference. Some schools worry that the non-football schools will vote in ways to de-emphasize football.
        Can't be many all football conferences in Division II. Can't find any leagues outside of the GAC and NSIC that doesn't have any non-football members.

Comment

Absent unknown membership/sports changes, the Mountain East should have all schools playing D2 football by Fall 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger View Post
            Can't be many all football conferences in Division II. Can't find any leagues outside of the GAC and NSIC that doesn't have any non-football members.
            Wow, that's surprising to me

Comment

Thanks for the input, makes more sense to me now.

Comment

Every MIAA school has football.

Comment

Metro State University in Denver has the highest enrollment in the RMAC with 24,000 students and they don't have football.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCampFan View Post
                    Metro State University in Denver has the highest enrollment in the RMAC with 24,000 students and they don't have football.
                    RMAC also has Regis, University of Colorado - Colorado Springs, Westminster and Colorado Christian that don't have football.

Comment

For about another month the CIAA will be all football schools. We had the hardline rule, but when the writing was on the wall with Chowan leaving we needed Claflin to keep an even balance.

Back in the early 2000's the conference made a push for all schools to sponsor football. It seems to have benefited St Augs and Shaw, but Saint Paul's couldn't hang with the extra expenses and the school ultimately shut down the athletics programs and then completely closed down.

Comment

True, some even jumped ship to play football only in the GLVC right? For some reason my head is telling me one went to the GAC to play football also?

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                          True, some even jumped ship to play football only in the GLVC right? For some reason my head is telling me one went to the GAC to play football also?
                          Both Southwest Baptist and Lincoln (Mo.) are MIAA members in all sports except football, where the two schools play in the GLVC. SBU will be moving all sports teams to the GLVC from the 2019-2020 season onward.

As best as I can recall, no MIAA members jumped to join the GAC; the GAC consists of six former GSC members from Arkansas (four public, two private), four former LSC members from the Oklahoma state schools and two private schools from Oklahoma who joined the GAC while transitioning from the NAIA.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Isn't Newman going to be an MIAA member?

Comment

Newman has been informed that the MIAA is studying membership shifts in NCAA Division II, particularly in the Midwest, and holding discussions on whether to remove a requirement that member schools must sponsor football in order to be a full MIAA member institution.

While the conference addresses this question and concludes its membership study, which also determines whether it will expand or add full members, Newman has been invited by the MIAA CEO Council to participate as an associate member.

https://newmanjets.com/news/2018/2/8...n-2019-20.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X