X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Don't expect more D2 FB move ups to FCS

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      They did finish 28-7 in Men's Basketball, won the Summit League championship and made the NCAA tourney last year so at least some of their fellow student-athletes do have a chance! FYI that was their third straight Summit League title and third straight trip to the NCAA Tourney. Similar results from the Women's Basketball team who are consistently at the top of their league and regular participants in the NCAA Tourney. For many D1 programs success like that would represent a MAJOR improvement over were they are at! Heck, probably many DII programs would trumpet their success if that was on their DII resume.
      Well it comes down to possibly winning a D2 NC or being one 40 some place fillers that allows about 20 some D1 MBB to have a tournament. Realistically in D1 BB, there are 20 some men's teams and probably half that many women's teams that will win every year. Go back to 1960 and the only CINDERELLA team to ever win was LOYOLA of CHICAGO in '63. In WBB going back to it's infancy ODU in '82 is it. For what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Well it comes down to possibly winning a D2 NC or being one 40 some place fillers that allows about 20 some D1 MBB to have a tournament. Realistically in D1 BB, there are 20 some men's teams and probably half that many women's teams that will win every year. Go back to 1960 and the only CINDERELLA team to ever win was LOYOLA of CHICAGO in '63. In WBB going back to it's infancy ODU in '82 is it. For what it's worth.
        You've got another one in 55-56 season too, but looking at the roster that USF team also had KC Jones and Bill Russell together on it. I'm a bit curious, if Gonzaga had won 2 years ago would you consider them a Cinderella? I honestly wouldn't with their seeding and expectations going into the tourney. I think many would though with them not being in a Power 5 conference or the Big East though.

Comment

By the time Gonzaga got to the final, we'd been conditioned to expect them in the field and getting to the second weekend on a regular basis. I think Butler losing the final in 2010 might have been the closest to a true Cinderella we've seen at the D1 level in a long time, and even that team had 2 NBA players on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
            Not sure I fully agree as one of the top FCS teams has this:

Montana has a much better stadium, but EWU sure competes well at the D1-FCS level winning the 2012 title. Now it has the draw of the red turf, but before that it didn't.
            SDSU, NDSU, JMU, etc all have the very impressive facilities. EWU competes but I don't see anyone winning a NC in FCS these days without the money, facilities, etc. SDSU and NDSU have better facilities than a few FBS programs though. If you want to win a national title you have to show the facilities and resources of those teams to have a shot at winning yearly.

Comment

Just weeks after Merrimack said its leaving the NE10 for FCS, LIU announces that they're combining the teams of both campuses. LIU Brooklyn was already D1 so now LIU Post's football team will compete as simply LIU in FCS.

Comment

When I think of teams that should move up, the following teams come to mind.

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                2. Minnesota Duluth
                3. Pittsburg State
                4. Valdosta State
                5. Arkansas Tech (Wild Card) (Large Enrollment)

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                  2. Minnesota Duluth
                  3. Pittsburg State
                  4. Valdosta State
                  Whats funny is 2 years ago Commerce wouldn't have made this list. I believe Commerce would need some Athletic Facility upgrades to make the jump.

Comment

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                    2. Minnesota Duluth
                    3. Pittsburg State
                    4. Valdosta State
                    You should put the enrollment next to each of those. Looks at Grand Valley's (and a few others) enrollment.
                    IH8FERRIS

Comment

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                      2. Minnesota Duluth
                      3. Pittsburg State
                      4. Valdosta State
                      I'll be the first to say that I oppose MSU-Mankato from going D1. Enrollment is over 15,000 making it the second largest school in the state. UMD is about 11,000 students, while St. Cloud State has over 14,000. Because all three schools spend so much on hockey I don't see any of them going D1. You can't just go on enrollment- if you did Grand Valley would have been long gone.

Comment

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                        2. Minnesota Duluth
                        3. Pittsburg State
                        4. Valdosta State
                        Pitt isn't even the most likely to go from the MIAA. With enrollment at 7,000 to 7,500, a stadium that only holds 8600 seated/ 11 or 12 K with standing room, and financial problems, they are a long ways from being ready to go up. Probably never will, tbh.

Within the MIAA, I could see UCM or UCO doing it eventually, though.

Comment

Enrollment for MIAA schools
                          ESU-5900
                          hays-14,700
                          Lincoln-2700 Non FB
                          Lindenwood-10,750 Leaving next year
                          MSSU-6200
                          MoWest-5400
                          NSU-8100 Leaving soon
                          NW-6500
                          Pitt 7100
                          SBU-3100 Non football
                          UCM-14000
                          UCO-16,400
                          UNK- 6800
                          WU-6600

Comment

1. Texas A&M Commerce
                            2. Minnesota Duluth
                            3. Pittsburg State
                            4. Valdosta State
                            That would be a NO. It's a move up in name only. Huge increase in costs and no chance at ever winning a national title. We don't even have enough sports to be eligible for D1.

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
                              No disrespect to NAIA. Big fan of USF growing up, and they had some big time teams and talent..... so does grand and morninside, carroll, etc now. But NAIA football talent aint D2. #Dakota State which is about the same ranking as USF in NAIA would get beat by 20-25 IMO
                              tman28; no disrespect taken. I would suggest USF beats DSU by 40+

Comment

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colle...lyn-1.21416636

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X