Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Whatever. Not that big a defeat since GV still won in the PO's. But most any win over GV is considered big or sensational. LOL.

I mentioned this last night in the chat: The following year, 2010 the great Otter might have messed up by trying to and scoring late with the lead (like 80 seconds left.) It was a special game for me as my dad had just passed and we went to the game for some diversion. It was a misty game in more ways than one. Maybe GV pulled it out with a little extra help that day. ;-) GV scored with little time left after blocking a PAT and scored a 2 point conversion. Those 2 points didn't matter for the win, other than maybe an emotional lift.
      The best part was all Hillsdale had to do was take a knee and they had the game, GVSU was out of time outs but instead Otter decided to go for a score and run it up a bit...and GVSU was happy to let them score...it was GV's only shot at getting the ball back. GVSU blocked the extra point attempt with Luther Ware taking it to the house...then Hillsdale kicked off and GVSU worked the ball down and scored with 16 seconds to go to win the game. Otter was denied his victory cigar at Lubbers...opps...I bet he doesnt do that again...

Comment

Comment

I went to my first D2 game back in 1978, and it's still my favorite. My friend was a freshman on the Cal Poly Pomona team (they have since dropped football) and he scored the only Pomona TD in that game. Even though they lost 35-8 to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (which later moved up to FCS) it's still a great memory because I saw my friend score in the only game I was able to attend. He only played one season because he didn't get along with the head coach. But that's OK, he had a distinguished 30 year military career which he enjoyed.
          Last edited by crixus; 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

1998: Arkansas Tech at "the place in Conway, AR". ATU wins the game 16-15 ending a 22-game losing streak spanning 25 years. our last win was in 1973. The 1998 game started a 4-game winning streak for us then they won 4 games that ended the series with their move to D1 after the 2005 game. The series stands at 40-41-3 in favor of them.

1999: Southern Arkansas at Arkansas Tech. The defacto Gulf South Championship Game and guaranteed that a school from Arkansas will win the GSC football title outright for the first time. Only one other time did an Arkansas school win an outright GSC football title. The game ended regulation at 17-17 and Tech had first possession in OT. We scored a FG then on their first snap SAU fumbles and we recover for the 20-17 win. It was an overflow crowd at Tech's stadium especially on our small visitor side bleachers with all the fans who came up from Magnolia. It was also family bragging rights since my dad is a Magnolia native and graduated from SAU.

Comment

Got to be the championship games. If I leave out championship games, probably the 07 playoff game against UNA. We returned two kicks for td's on our way to a National Championship in my senior year.
              Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                There are many that stand out but my favorite by far is Bloomsburg at Shepherd, 2006 Super Region 1 final.

Honorable mention...
                Grand Valley State v. Northwest Missouri State, 2005 National Championship
                Valdosta State at California, 2007 national semi-finals
                Saginaw Valley State at Bloomsburg, 2000 playoffs - first round
                Wingate at Lenoir-Rhyne, 2018 playoffs, second round
                It hurts to think about that game. It was billed as a Brittingham vs Wallace RB matchup. Shepherd blew that game IMO. Bloomsburg put it in their studs hands and Shepherd didn't. Think Jamar Brittingham had like 37 carries, and Dervon Wallace had like 16 in that game, took me awhile to get over that. Dervon gets 10 more touches in that game (he was electric with the ball) I think Shepherd wins their first regional title. Now I'm going to drink...

Comment

Whatever. Not that big a defeat since GV still won in the PO's. But most any win over GV is considered big or sensational. LOL.

I mentioned this last night in the chat: The following year, 2010 the great Otter might have messed up by trying to and scoring late with the lead (like 80 seconds left.) It was a special game for me as my dad had just passed and we went to the game for some diversion. It was a misty game in more ways than one. Maybe GV pulled it out with a little extra help that day. ;-) GV scored with little time left after blocking a PAT and scored a 2 point conversion. Those 2 points didn't matter for the win, other than maybe an emotional lift.
                  Piggybacking on this. The Shepherd vs Grand Valley game in the National Semifinals was the best game I'd seen. Lakers knocked out our 4 year starting QB in the 1st qtr, only for the backup to come in and have an incredible game to help the Rams hang onto the win 34-32 to advance to our first NC game. Big Crowd and loud at Ram Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Piggybacking on this. The Shepherd vs Grand Valley game in the National Semifinals was the best game I'd seen. Lakers knocked out our 4 year starting QB in the 1st qtr, only for the backup to come in and have an incredible game to help the Rams hang onto the win 34-32 to advance to our first NC game. Big Crowd and loud at Ram Stadium.
                    Hard to say that this wasn't an entertaining, not to forget, battle. GV came back with a chance to tie with a good 2 pt conversion. Both teams were banged up big time. As for knocking out that QB.. dang that backup sure played one heck of a game too!

Comment

There are many that stand out but my favorite by far is Bloomsburg at Shepherd, 2006 Super Region 1 final.

Honorable mention...
                      Grand Valley State v. Northwest Missouri State, 2005 National Championship
                      Valdosta State at California, 2007 national semi-finals
                      Saginaw Valley State at Bloomsburg, 2000 playoffs - first round
                      Wingate at Lenoir-Rhyne, 2018 playoffs, second round
                      I was at the '07 game at Cal-PA ( in fact I have the NCAA video of that game (the NCAA used sell copies of games - I think for $25 or so)). It was a classic up on the hill.

A great game that wasn't decided until pretty much the last play.

VSU's game the next week would rank pretty high on my list as well as far as great games go (NWMSU for the '07 Championship).

But my personal all time favorite D2 game was VSU's championship in 2012, much because of how the season went. VSU was highly ranked preseason. Started 2-2 (losses at Saginaw Valley and W Alabama). We faced a crossroads. Players stepped up as leaders. Last 6 games of the regular season we won by an average score of 43-19. Playoffs - we beat West Al, C-N and an unbeaten Mankato by an average score of 42-22, and of course beat a very bold and loud talking (and undefeated) WSSU team 35-7.

It was an unbelievable season and experience (the Winston Salem folks were mighty humble afterwards)..

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

I was at the '07 game at Cal-PA ( in fact I have the NCAA video of that game (the NCAA used sell copies of games - I think for $25 or so)). It was a classic up on the hill.

A great game that wasn't decided until pretty much the last play.

VSU's game the next week would rank pretty high on my list as well as far as great games go (NWMSU for the '07 Championship).

But my personal all time favorite D2 game was VSU's championship in 2012, much because of how the season went. VSU was highly ranked preseason. Started 2-2 (losses at Saginaw Valley and W Alabama). We faced a crossroads. Players stepped up as leaders. Last 6 games of the regular season we won by an average score of 43-19. Playoffs - we beat West Al, C-N and an unbeaten Mankato by an average score of 42-22, and of course beat a very bold and loud talking (and undefeated) WSSU team 35-7.

It was an unbelievable season and experience (the Winston Salem folks were mighty humble afterwards)..
                        I was at that 2012 championship too. Would definitely be memorable for a VSU fan. A lot of people thought the Blazers were the underdog in that one.

May dad and I were just talking about that 2007 game at Cal. That was probably the last cold weather game that he went to. He had this old butane hand warmer that is like a giant zippo. He lit that, slipped it into the felt back and stuck it in the breast pocket of his shirt, under his coat. Stayed warm all day with that little thing. The funny things you remember...

Comment

A lot of people thought the Blazers were the underdog in that one.

May dad and I were just talking about that 2007 game at Cal. That was probably the last cold weather game that he went to. He had this old butane hand warmer that is like a giant zippo. He lit that, slipped it into the felt back and stuck it in the breast pocket of his shirt, under his coat. Stayed warm all day with that little thing. The funny things you remember...
                          I think we've probably been the underdog in every NC game we've played in (except maybe(just maybe) last year). Hopefully we can win a few more and maybe outgrow the mindset around D2 at some point.

A couple of things that I remember about the Cal game: I remember they had a LB (#7 - Gary Butler I believe) that was a stud. I think he and our QB had a little trash talking thing going on headed into the game. For Butler, he had a great game (led Cal in tackles with 9 and also had a TFL). In the end, though, Willie Copeland had the last laugh because we got to play another week.

I also remember the catch in the end zone our tight end Zach Parker made. ESPN highlight reel, and a heckova one handed catch.

Comment

Comment

Hard to say that this wasn't an entertaining, not to forget, battle. GV came back with a chance to tie with a good 2 pt conversion. Both teams were banged up big time. As for knocking out that QB.. dang that backup sure played one heck of a game too!
                              He probably would have played in the NC and gave Shep a fighting chance if he hadn't of broke curfew in KC
                              Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

He probably would have played in the NC and gave Shep a fighting chance if he hadn't of broke curfew in KC
                                Yeah, what a time to make a bonehead decision by a young athlete! You have to give Coach Cater credit for making it an ultimate teaching point about staying on the reservation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X