Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams transitioning down to D2

Two questions
    1) Other than WSSU & SSU have any other teams moved down ?
    2) When do teams moving down have to be at 36 scholarships? Day 1 or other date?

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
    Two questions
    2) When do teams moving down have to be at 36 scholarships? Day 1 or other date?
    I think the last to do it was West Texas A&M (State, back then). They did it in the mid-80s, when the NCAA made the requirements for I-A (FBS) more stringent and they chose to drop all the way to D2 rather than go I-AA (FCS).

Savannah State is in the second year of a two-year transition period, but they're having compliance issues.

Comment

Good questions that I do not have an answer to. I do know of at least 2 for SAC schools that should move down, because outside of Gardner-Webb basketball, they've accomplished squat. Same with Presbyterian. Never should have left.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
        Good questions that I do not have an answer to. I do know of at least 2 for SAC schools that should move down, because outside of Gardner-Webb basketball, they've accomplished squat. Same with Presbyterian. Never should have left.
        The paycheck that the G-W BULLDOGS got for giving eventual NAT CHAMP VIRGINIA a decent game is all any of these schools care about. Whether any of that cash ever flows to other sports is questionable, but don't look for anything to change as long as they get 1 MM GAME.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
          Two questions
          There have been teams that moved down, but they have been more willing to go non-scholarship rather than to D2. In recent memory, I can think of Birmingham Southern and Centenary who were D1 and dropped down to D3. Neither played football, which made the move even more curious, as they seemed unwilling to sacrifice education for D1 asipirations.

Some of the MEAC schools were rumored to be moving to D2, such as Norfolk State and SC State. Both are likely not now with the Celebration Bowl and ability to schedule more Money/FBS and D2 games in lieu of trying to compete in the FCS playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The paycheck that the G-W BULLDOGS got for giving eventual NAT CHAMP VIRGINIA a decent game is all any of these schools care about. Whether any of that cash ever flows to other sports is questionable, but don't look for anything to change as long as they get 1 MM GAME.
            You are not wrong. Presbyterian on the other hand...they should have never moved up. Since moving up in 2007, they have gone a combined 37-95, a 28.0% winning percentage. Only 2 winning seasons (and they went 6-5 in both of them). In 2007, their wins consisted of :

Pikeville, North Carolina Central (now FCS but still D2 at the time), North Greenville and Chowan.

They've also only won more than 1 conference game on two occasions. In the Big South for crying out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I think the last to do it was West Texas A&M (State, back then). They did it in the mid-80s, when the NCAA made the requirements for I-A (FBS) more stringent and they chose to drop all the way to D2 rather than go I-AA (FCS).

Savannah State is in the second year of a two-year transition period, but they're having compliance issues.
              Savannah State moving up was a train wreck since day 1. The NCAA investigation prompted their move down and announced almost immediately after investigation came out. I saw an article about how bb coach had no recruiting budget when they moved up, they added bowling as a sport & put up signs around campus for tryouts, etc.The SS head man was driving force for the move, but I think they had no plan or study about the cost. A legend in their own mind and the balloon burst. I think their academic oversight was virtually non-existent, no training and a lot of personnel turnover.

I'm still curious about the scholarship question. How many scholarships are they currently funding? 50, 40 or what?

Comment

A few years ago University of New Orleans went through about a 4 year period where they were going to drop to D3 then decided on D2 and ultimately ended up staying D1.

Comment

There may be several teams moving down to Division 2 with all of this name/likeness/image paying of the student athletes. Athletic programs can barely get by now. they will have to consolidate if this law goes through. Could be huge for Division 2.

Comment

The entire MEAC and SWAC are under academic sanctions and are more broke than the majority of schools at any division. Not to mention, as a whole, those 2 conferences are basically dead last in every sport. They only good about them is their bands and their attendance sometimes. I'm sorry but in my opinion they should not be at the elite level of college athletics. The WAC keeps having to bring in a new school just about every year because no one wants to be in their conference, which spans over half the country, then eastern conferences such as the NEC and A-Sun should probably drop as well. There are nearly 360 D1 colleges, that number should be cut to 250-300 in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by deanmachine View Post
                      There may be several teams moving down to Division 2 with all of this name/likeness/image paying of the student athletes. Athletic programs can barely get by now. they will have to consolidate if this law goes through. Could be huge for Division 2.
                      AFAIK, schools aren't on the hook for paying the student athlete, unless the school is the one using the likeness. If athletes want to market their self and image to outside parties that's the third party's responsibility to pay. And its only the largest of the money makers that have to abide by it. Like if the QB at UCLA wants to hypothetically run a camp and teach kids to throw the ball, he can now do that.

Its no different then a person on say a band or dance scholarship doing gigs outside of their rolls with the school and getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

AFAIK, schools aren't on the hook for paying the student athlete, unless the school is the one using the likeness. If athletes want to market their self and image to outside parties that's the third party's responsibility to pay. And its only the largest of the money makers that have to abide by it. Like if the QB at UCLA wants to hypothetically run a camp and teach kids to throw the ball, he can now do that.

Its no different then a person on say a band or dance scholarship doing gigs outside of their rolls with the school and getting paid.
                        And how do the Tyrelle Pryor situations fit in ? If the school "gives" you something, is it your's to sell ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

And how do the Tyrelle Pryor situations fit in ? If the school "gives" you something, is it your's to sell ?
                          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

Yes.
                            Not according to TP's experience.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X