Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

And how many rounds is the draft? A lot of the talent in MLB was taken in later rounds for sure. As for no rookie making money, Ken Griffey Jr was called up in his first year of the minors and look how he payed off right away. As for the possibility of another Griffey Jr style top pick, I think I'd rather play the lottery as those odds may be better.
    Ken Griffey Jr. was drafted in 1987. He made his MLB debut in 1989. He made the MLB minimum in his first year, then got a raise to $180,000 which was above the MLB minumum of $100,000. He then went to $700,000, then the club signed him to a deal that took out the remaining arb years and got into his free agency years. He was traded to the Reds with a year left on his contract, then signed a ten year deal with Cincy.

It is a simple concept that it is easy and inexpensive to build a team with draft picks. You don't need to have a big hit like KG Jr to make it happen.

Comment

Remember when the Twins were accused of using fans in the Metrodome?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=1585964

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Yes. I remember that MLB had a stiff punishment in line but then they came to the realization that having Carl Pohlad as the owner was punishment enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Yes. I remember that MLB had a stiff punishment in line but then they came to the realization that having Carl Pohlad as the owner was punishment enough.
          He and his wife had an unfortunate ending, having molten metal poured on them by Khai Drogo when his wife Daenerys was hit by a foul ball before they put up nets to protect spectators.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

That would have to be a pretty powerful fan to make any difference, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

That would have to be a pretty powerful fan to make any difference, I would think.

Comment

And how many rounds is the draft? A lot of the talent in MLB was taken in later rounds for sure. As for no rookie making money, Ken Griffey Jr was called up in his first year of the minors and look how he payed off right away. As for the possibility of another Griffey Jr style top pick, I think I'd rather play the lottery as those odds may be better.
                A lot of late round talent ends up going to college, then drafted high 3-4 years later.

Griffey spent 2 years working his way through the minors and was stuck on a rookie contract until he signed a 2 year, $2.5 million contract in 1991. He wasn't making any crazy money compared to anyone else. MLB has arbitration for that, when eligible. Their system sucks which is why guys demand ludicrous contracts now.

It's too bad Griffey Jr couldn't stay healthy his whole career. He was fun to watch.

Comment

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=15...jN9Yej71Prupso

Comment

Hoooogghieeee...your team chheeeaaatttteddd.

Oh no...Houston sucks again!

A team from Texastan cheated? Shocking. NOT!

Comment

Breaking: The Red Sox and manager Alex Cora have mutually agreed to part ways.

Comment

It was mentioned that this may be on the scale of the Black Sox scandal. It will be interesting to see if players of any teams get suspended for it and based on Black Sox it should be for the season, but would MLB do this to a big name star with all the money they can bring in?

Comment

It was mentioned that this may be on the scale of the Black Sox scandal. It will be interesting to see if players of any teams get suspended for it and based on Black Sox it should be for the season, but would MLB do this to a big name star with all the money they can bring in?
                          Players have immunity for "testifying". Those who are the most guilty will get off with nothing. That's the real sad part.

Comment

That is really a poor take. The White Sox player conspired to intentionally lose games. The Astros cheated to win games.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post

Players have immunity for "testifying". Those who are the most guilty will get off with nothing. That's the real sad part.
                              I agree, the players should also be held accountable. Now if one that testifies said he had the signs relayed to him as proof that it was going on, but he didn't relay them to the batter that player shouldn't be punished.

Comment

I agree, the players should also be held accountable. Now if one that testifies said he had the signs relayed to him as proof that it was going on, but he didn't relay them to the batter that player shouldn't be punished.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X