Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First Domino Has Fallen

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    True story. I grew up in the South. Had the grades, test scores, and extracurriculars that I might have had a shot at Harvard.

    So, out of curiousity, I requested an application, just so maybe I could always say I was accepted to Harvard. When I received the application, I saw the non-refundable application fee was like $100. I wasn't that curious.

    Ended up at a backwoods D2 private school instead, and got a full ride plus beer money out of the deal.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by crixus View Post

      Don't sell your part of the country short, there are several Hidden Ivies in the Midwest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Ivies#Midwest
      We certainly have some good schools in the Midwest, I don't mean to dog on any of our institutions. Not every institution should strive to be an Ivy-caliber school either. Personally, SD Mines has my highest regard for best school in the Midwest (if not the entire country) and it's nowhere close to being an Ivy. Different schools serve different purposes - the ones that serve theirs the best generally get my respect first.

      Even still - according to that list, Carleton and Macalaster are the only "Hidden Ivies" in Minnesota. Carleton is generally regarded higher than Macalaster is, which is why I only mentioned Carleton.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

        True story. I grew up in the South. Had the grades, test scores, and extracurriculars that I might have had a shot at Harvard.

        So, out of curiousity, I requested an application, just so maybe I could always say I was accepted to Harvard. When I received the application, I saw the non-refundable application fee was like $100. I wasn't that curious.

        Ended up at a backwoods D2 private school instead, and got a full ride plus beer money out of the deal.
        Not anywhere near the same level, but I did poorly in high school. Went to a backwoods D2 school and fixed my grades and earned my AA. The University of Minnesota accepted me almost immediately, but the tuition and cost of living was far too much of a gamble when compared to staying home - especially since I didn't know what I was going to major in. I believe I would have been the third student at the U from my high school class - nobody went to a higher ranked school.

        I don't have any hatred towards state schools, as I've maintained all along we need them. I will say though - only four presidents graduated (undergrad) from non-military public universities, and only two of them were elected. Twelve presidents graduated from the Ivy League.
        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 07-07-2020, 07:34 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          I will say though - only four presidents graduated (undergrad) from non-military public universities, and only two of them were elected. Twelve presidents graduated from the Ivy League.
          That could theoretically be because of the connection they made, not the education they received.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Brandon View Post

            That could theoretically be because of the connection they made, not the education they received.
            Bingo.

            The connections you get at Ivy schools are what sets those graduates apart. The academics are unquestionably more rigorous, but it's not what you know - it's who you know.
            Last edited by SW_Mustang; 07-07-2020, 09:10 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

              but it's not what you know - it's who you know.
              So important.

              Comment


              • D3 MIT to only allow seniors on campus, cancel fall sports.

                https://thetech.com/2020/07/07/fall-...s-only-seniors

                Comment


                • The State Fair of Texas is officially canceled. The Red River Rivalry won't be the same......if it is played this fall.

                  The Texas state fair is generally considered the biggest in the nation. Minnesota, which has the best state fair, cancelled it quite some time ago. :)

                  Comment


                  • D3 Centennial Conference becomes first to call off fall sports- they are looking at having them in the spring. Nice helmets graphic here.

                    https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...-fall-2020-spo

                    Comment


                    • D3 Liberty Conference will not start competition any earlier than Sept. 26. If they do start, a decision on allowing fans won't be made until September. https://libertyleagueathletics.com/…/general-liberty-league…

                      Comment


                      • Yanks and Phils have scheduled "spring training" games between 7/18 and 7/20

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by laker View Post
                          D3 Centennial Conference becomes first to call off fall sports- they are looking at having them in the spring. Nice helmets graphic here.

                          https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...-fall-2020-spo
                          Franklin Marshall and Gettysburg didn't put much artistic thought into their helmet designs. Zzzzzz..........

                          laker Here ya' go, a football helmet paradise. http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
                          Last edited by crixus; 07-07-2020, 08:22 PM.
                          Bring back Humboldt State football.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Yanks and Phils have scheduled "spring training" games between 7/18 and 7/20
                            If the 60 game MLB season actually happens I predict a Dodgers vs Yankees World Series, with Los Angeles winning it. Go Blue!
                            Last edited by crixus; 07-07-2020, 08:19 PM.
                            Bring back Humboldt State football.

                            Comment


                            • Ivy League to announce Fall plans tomorrow-rumors are that football will do a silo schedule in Fall or Spring:

                              https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...llege-football

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by crixus View Post

                                If the 60 game MLB season actually happens I predict a Dodgers vs Yankees World Series, with Los Angeles winning it. Go Blue!
                                I can get behind that. Grandpa is a Dodgers fan. I asked him why, being that he's probably never been to New York, and he said "My uncle was a Yankees fan and it was annoying."

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X