Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First Domino Has Fallen

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, back in my day, Miss Ingalls wouldn't let us take our books home.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Most of the MAC should go FCS or D2. I saw a picture this year of either an Akron or Toledo game and there was ONE person one one side of the stadium, as in one fan. I didn't see the other side, but people said there were 500 people on that side, as in 501 people at the game. Yes, that low. I get playing body bag games and all that, but after awhile you gotta quit the D-1 charade of 6-figure coaches to work in front of 500 fans, while you cut half the colleges at your university.
      I thought FBS had an average attendance requirement... somewhere in the 15-20k range. Did they just make up the difference in their other games, I wonder?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

        I thought FBS had an average attendance requirement... somewhere in the 15-20k range. Did they just make up the difference in their other games, I wonder?
        Yes. 15,000 average per home game, "once every two years."

        I did some reading on this as I was curious - it looks like two things are happening:

        1) The NCAA's rules on who is counted and who isn't counted leave for a broad variety of "fans," allowing some schools to fudge the numbers a little bit.
        2) The NCAA has flat out ignored the rule, for one reason or another.

        Page 3 refers to the attendance rules. This is just an FAQ sheet posted by the NCAA.

        https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...2%208%2014.pdf

        There's an article on The Athletic about how schools get around this number when paid attendance is low, but I'm not signing up just to read it. I found a discussion of the article on Reddit, and one commenter pointed out how Charlotte brings in "young alumni" on "official visits" to "entice them to buy season tickets." It counts, per NCAA rules.

        I did a quick search in the NCAA records and found that 9 teams (7%) did not have an average of 15,000 fans last year. Three of them (Ball State, University of Massachusetts, and Northern Illinois) all came in below 10,000. Some of those teams may have had a 15,000 average the previous year as well so they'd be in compliance with the rules.

        The MAC as a whole has a stated average of 15,530 fans a game, up 72 from 2018 (oddly enough).

        Lastly, four D2 teams were listed as having a higher attendance than Northern Illinois last year. Each of the Top 30 FCS teams beat NIU in attendance last season as well.
        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-12-2020, 01:15 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
          Well, back in my day, Miss Ingalls wouldn't let us take our books home.
          I had the same problem with Miss Landers.

          Bring back Humboldt State football.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

            Google.0



            We didn't have those fancy schmancy computer programs where you talk and it types everything up for you. We had to actually type our own papers dagnabbit!

            Bring back Humboldt State football.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

              Yes. 15,000 average per home game, "once every two years."

              I did some reading on this as I was curious - it looks like two things are happening:

              1) The NCAA's rules on who is counted and who isn't counted leave for a broad variety of "fans," allowing some schools to fudge the numbers a little bit.
              2) The NCAA has flat out ignored the rule, for one reason or another.

              Page 3 refers to the attendance rules. This is just an FAQ sheet posted by the NCAA.

              https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...2%208%2014.pdf

              There's an article on The Athletic about how schools get around this number when paid attendance is low, but I'm not signing up just to read it. I found a discussion of the article on Reddit, and one commenter pointed out how Charlotte brings in "young alumni" on "official visits" to "entice them to buy season tickets." It counts, per NCAA rules.

              I did a quick search in the NCAA records and found that 9 teams (7%) did not have an average of 15,000 fans last year. Three of them (Ball State, University of Massachusetts, and Northern Illinois) all came in below 10,000. Some of those teams may have had a 15,000 average the previous year as well so they'd be in compliance with the rules.

              The MAC as a whole has a stated average of 15,530 fans a game, up 72 from 2018 (oddly enough).

              Lastly, four D2 teams were listed as having a higher attendance than Northern Illinois last year. Each of the Top 30 FCS teams beat NIU in attendance last season as well.
              The NCAA doesn't enforce their own rules. My alma mater (San Jose State) hasn't averaged 15K in eons, but they're still an FBS member of the Mountain West. Who are the four D2 teams that averaged more than NIU last year? Kudos to them!
              Last edited by crixus; 05-12-2020, 02:51 PM.
              Bring back Humboldt State football.

              Comment


              • The California State University system will not be holding on campus classes this fall semester. It didn't talk about athletics but I'm sure that they won't be having them. This involves 23 schools.

                https://abc7.com/education/csu-campu...ester/6176291/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

                  Yes. 15,000 average per home game, "once every two years."

                  I did some reading on this as I was curious - it looks like two things are happening:

                  1) The NCAA's rules on who is counted and who isn't counted leave for a broad variety of "fans," allowing some schools to fudge the numbers a little bit.
                  2) The NCAA has flat out ignored the rule, for one reason or another.

                  Page 3 refers to the attendance rules. This is just an FAQ sheet posted by the NCAA.

                  https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...2%208%2014.pdf

                  There's an article on The Athletic about how schools get around this number when paid attendance is low, but I'm not signing up just to read it. I found a discussion of the article on Reddit, and one commenter pointed out how Charlotte brings in "young alumni" on "official visits" to "entice them to buy season tickets." It counts, per NCAA rules.

                  I did a quick search in the NCAA records and found that 9 teams (7%) did not have an average of 15,000 fans last year. Three of them (Ball State, University of Massachusetts, and Northern Illinois) all came in below 10,000. Some of those teams may have had a 15,000 average the previous year as well so they'd be in compliance with the rules.

                  The MAC as a whole has a stated average of 15,530 fans a game, up 72 from 2018 (oddly enough).

                  Lastly, four D2 teams were listed as having a higher attendance than Northern Illinois last year. Each of the Top 30 FCS teams beat NIU in attendance last season as well.
                  Makes sense. Plus attendance is self-reported anyway. If you're on the bubble, and you want to change a 4 to a 5, nobody will ever know.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by laker View Post
                    The California State University system will not be holding on campus classes this fall semester. It didn't talk about athletics but I'm sure that they won't be having them. This involves 23 schools.

                    https://abc7.com/education/csu-campu...ester/6176291/
                    Almost 500,000 students. Will the athletes stick around ?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by crixus View Post

                      The NCAA doesn't enforce their own rules. My alma mater (San Jose State) hasn't averaged 15K in eons, but they're still an FBS member of the Mountain West. Who are the four D2 teams that averaged more than NIU last year? Kudos to them!
                      According to official NCAA records:

                      1. Morehouse (10,924)
                      2. Grand Valley State (9,821)
                      3. Tarleton State (8,952)
                      4. Tuskegee (8,872)

                      Northern Illinois averaged 8,518 for the season.

                      San Jose State is listed as having a 15,396 average - that probably includes the band and a lot of other gameday function "attendees."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

                        Makes sense. Plus attendance is self-reported anyway. If you're on the bubble, and you want to change a 4 to a 5, nobody will ever know.
                        Supposedly, these numbers are all "audited" by the NCAA - which I don't buy. Maybe they select a few schools "at random" to check, but there's no way they are reviewing attendance numbers for 130 FBS schools, let alone the entire gamut of all four divisions.

                        NCAA has a very loose definition of who counts in those numbers anyway. They specify a difference between paid, and non-paid attendees - but they are all under the blanket number. Yes, this does include the band members.

                        Comment


                        • The MAC is eliminating many conference tournaments and adjusting others.

                          https://www.wtol.com/article/sports/...1-67a5a6d8fe3c

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by laker View Post
                            The California State University system will not be holding on campus classes this fall semester. It didn't talk about athletics but I'm sure that they won't be having them. This involves 23 schools.

                            https://abc7.com/education/csu-campu...ester/6176291/
                            I wonder if UC will follow. They're two of the biggest systems in the country. That's another 280,000 students staying at home if that's the case.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by laker View Post
                              The California State University system will not be holding on campus classes this fall semester. It didn't talk about athletics but I'm sure that they won't be having them. This involves 23 schools.

                              https://abc7.com/education/csu-campu...ester/6176291/
                              First state to let athletes market themselves becomes the first to take athletes off the field

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

                                According to official NCAA records:

                                1. Morehouse (10,924)
                                2. Grand Valley State (9,821)
                                3. Tarleton State (8,952)
                                4. Tuskegee (8,872)

                                Northern Illinois averaged 8,518 for the season.

                                San Jose State is listed as having a 15,396 average - that probably includes the band and a lot of other gameday function "attendees."
                                I can assure you that San Jose State doesn't come close to averaging that number. They must counting cars in the parking lot as well. Thank you for listing the four D2's! By the way, Tarleton State moves up to FCS as of this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_T..._football_team
                                Bring back Humboldt State football.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X