Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivalries

its challenging to debate rivalries when you know little outside your league beyond po results yr to yr. i have never heard of the battle of the ravine yet it appears it's tied for the oldest in d2 along with the brawl of the black hills or some such, another i've not heard of

we had the old hickory stick with truman st which was the oldest traveling trophy game in d2 & have played 91 times but not since 2011 & it's always been one sided. historically truman (northeast mo st) dominated & then nwms did in recent yrs coinciding w/ our rise to power.

now our primary rivals are missouri western (bad blood, stems from politics between the schools, long story, you can google it) & pitt st (born from both schools playing for the league many times in recent years).

pitt's traditional rival is missouri southern but its very one sided.

washburn & emporia are rivals but neither have ever done much but it does seem to be competitive.

central ok & northeastern st are rivals allegedly.

i think what makes a great rivalry is history, consistently having something meaningful to play for, & competitiveness. all of ours lack one or more of those three components but they are still fun obv. ours with pitt st imo comes the closest to comprising all those traits.

kearney & hays probably have rivals from their old leagues (?).

central missouri doesn't seem to have one. maybe they did w/ semo or sms (now missouri st) once upon a time (?).
    Last edited by northwest missouri state; 11-08-2021, 09:07 AM.
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

CWU had two rivals; Western Washington (pot smoking liberal arts hippies) and Pacific Lutheran (Pretentious stuck up sweater boys).

Western dropped football after the 2008 season and a few years later won a basketball natty.PLU moved with the other NW private schools in to a DIII league.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
          CWU had two rivals; Western Washington (pot smoking liberal arts hippies) and Pacific Lutheran (Pretentious stuck up sweater boys).

Western dropped football after the 2008 season and a few years later won a basketball natty.PLU moved with the other NW private schools in to a DIII league.
          Funny how often those are the same people...

Comment

Minnesota State and St Cloud State used to play for the traveling training kit. But, St Cloud State administration got caught being idiots too many times and they had to drop football.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
              Minnesota State and St Cloud State used to play for the traveling training kit. But, St Cloud State administration got caught being idiots too many times and they had to drop football.
              Purple & Gold on one side, Red & Black for St Cloud.

Comment

This almost made me fall out of my chair laughing so hard. Good God that's funny.

Comment

Funny how often those are the same people...
                  Sweater Boys don't smoke pot. They do coke.

One of my best friends that I officiate football with is a sweater boy from PLU. We have some great smack talk.
                  Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 11-08-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Sweater Boys don't smoke pot. They do coke.

One of my best friends that I officiate football with is a sweater boy rom PLU. We have some great smack talk.
                    Good point. Many do both.

I thought you said coke... :)

Comment

Good point. Many do both.

I thought you said coke... :)
                      I'm sticking with chocolate milk.

Comment

University of Sioux Falls and Augustana have a similar situation to Ouachita and Henderson: the campuses are two blocks apart and the rivalry is heated.

The two schools hadn't played each other in football for quite a while until USF joined the NSIC in 2012. Since that time the trophy for the annual football game is called the "Mayor's Cup."

I remember my dad talking about pranks the two schools would play on each other back when he attended USF in the 1950s. He and my uncle were personally involved in sabotaging Augie's homecoming bonfire one year.

Comment

West Florida and Florida Tech had a great rivalry brewing - the Coastal Classic (Anchor Trophy). Although both were relatively new programs (UWF 2016 and FIT 2013), the games were very competitive. Unfortunately, FIT decided to drop football after the 2019 season. I believe Valdosta State and West Georgia have a rivalry known as the Peach Basket Game (?), and I also know that Morehouse and Tuskegee have a rivalry that started in the early 1900s.

Comment

While the CIAA has a few rivalries, I'd say the best rivalry in the conference is Virginia State vs Virginia Union.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X