Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

My friend Szymon thinks you are a racist.
    This is underrated funny. Most people here won't get the joke. Well done Runnin' Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Shanks Alot View Post
      No one is discussing issues like this....I wonder why?
      I know this is all supposed to be based upon numbers, but I am surprised that we are facing a possible scenario that would have a Northwest Missouri State team ranked in the top 10 nationally in both respected polls, not reach the top 7 in their own regional rankings, thus not make the playoffs.....
      Wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
        With the talk of a straight 1-28 playoff, without regions, I decided to quickly throw together what that might look like. For the "regions" I decided to first seed 1 to 28 and then fit them the best I could according to location and did a little bit of seed flipping to do that (because I figured that is what the NCAA would do in the hypothetical process). I did not take a deep dive on the numbers so there can be arguments made who might be in towards the bottom (and some seeding). But if it where to be a 1-28 it would probably look something along these lines (for this week):

East
        1. GVSU
        2. Shepherd
        3. Va Union
        4. Davenport
        5. Assumption
        6. Ashland
        7. SRU
        South
        1. Angelo
        2. Delta State
        3. West Florida
        4. Truman
        5. Harding
        6. Wingate
        7. Mars Hill
        Midwest
        1. Ferris
        2. Benedict
        3. IUP
        4. Bemidji
        5. Mankato
        6. Indy
        7. Winona
        West
        1. Pitt State
        2. OBU
        3. Mines
        4. Northwest
        5. Emporia
        6. Wayne State
        7. Henderson
        OBU wouldn't like it, but they would need to be in your south region, they are actually farther south than Harding and closer to Angelo than nearly everyone else in that drawn up region. And no one in the west would like it, but you probably would just switch them with Angelo St. Outside of that, outstanding work!

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
          There’s good and bad with national vs regional selection committees. I think a regional committee following fewer conferences has a better grasp of who’s deserving or not each year. One solution is to add an 8th team and do away with bye and have four games opening week.
          It wasn't very long ago that only 6 teams from every region went to the playoffs and the 1 & 2 seeds got byes. Then each region added a team who gets in, and there is no less complaining. Getting an 8th team in each region just means the teams who would project as #9 seeds do all of the complaining. No matter where the line is drawn, someone is the first one outside of that line and they feel like they are getting a bad deal. The issue is not with the number of teams. And as you add teams, you begin adding more teams who are not actually deserving, or else they would already be a higher seed in their region.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Wouldn't be the first time.
            Agreed. We've seen this play out before. It amazes how many people don't realize that the National polls are meaningless when it comes to the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by d2 football fan View Post

OBU wouldn't like it, but they would need to be in your south region, they are actually farther south than Harding and closer to Angelo than nearly everyone else in that drawn up region. And no one in the west would like it, but you probably would just switch them with Angelo St. Outside of that, outstanding work!
              If you are moving OBU you need to move Henderson State that is also in that region as well. The two schools are about 500 yards apart in Arkadelphia. They are so close that the away team in the game dresses in their own locker room and walks across the street to the other team’s stadium.

Comment

There are 40 teams with 2 losses or less going into this last weekend and that number will be close to or less than 32 after the games are played. Adding an 8th team to each region would in most years include all teams with 2 losses or less. Not saying there would not be complaining from 3 loss teams, but having a system where 2 losses or better gets in almost every team seems fair, doable and rewarding almost every team for a good season.

Comment

It wasn't very long ago that only 6 teams from every region went to the playoffs and the 1 & 2 seeds got byes. Then each region added a team who gets in, and there is no less complaining. Getting an 8th team in each region just means the teams who would project as #9 seeds do all of the complaining. No matter where the line is drawn, someone is the first one outside of that line and they feel like they are getting a bad deal. The issue is not with the number of teams. And as you add teams, you begin adding more teams who are not actually deserving, or else they would already be a higher seed in their region.
                  Honestly, I feel like the only squad that had a legitimate complaint about the Selection process was that Carson-Newman team a couple of years back that got hosed because the second placed SIAC team got the Earned Access to the playoffs that year because the committee didn't have Tuskegee on the regional rankings with an astrict. Tuskegee should have been the number one team in the Super Region 2 region that year, but they was still playing that late season thanksgiving game classic, they didn't bother with the playoffs. Still didn't mean that the second best team in the SIAC should have gotten in over a one loss CN squad that year.

Comment

There was a time when only 4 teams in each region got in. Although, I feel like that was too few teams.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

If you are moving OBU you need to move Henderson State that is also in that region as well. The two schools are about 500 yards apart in Arkadelphia. They are so close that the away team in the game dresses in their own locker room and walks across the street to the other team’s stadium.
                      Oh you are 100% right, I missed them on the list. And I'm not sure who else goes out west with Angelo in that case...

Comment

I stuck OBU there because I did not want to take Angelo off of the 1 line. Without doing that there wasn't a super logical place to put them other than in the west. Some teams are not totally geographically aligned because I did not want to move anyone off of the 1 line and I didn't want to flip anyone else more than 1 seed up or down from my 1-28 ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                          With the talk of a straight 1-28 playoff, without regions, I decided to quickly throw together what that might look like. For the "regions" I decided to first seed 1 to 28 and then fit them the best I could according to location and did a little bit of seed flipping to do that (because I figured that is what the NCAA would do in the hypothetical process). I did not take a deep dive on the numbers so there can be arguments made who might be in towards the bottom (and some seeding). But if it where to be a 1-28 it would probably look something along these lines (for this week):[/LIST]
                          I like this listing (since the bias against my Harding is taken out).
                          Yes they've lost to OBU, 3 scores to 2.
                          Yes they've lost to Henderson by 1 PAT.
                          BUT, they've been winning lately and I think that's the key to eyeballing teams and their progress.
                          Some of the columnists have written to the effect "Harding is just stuck in its position at #8 with little chance to move." Yes, that's a predjudiced comment.
                          Late season winners are better indicators than late season losers.
                          Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I can’t find where the data went but I remember reading that nearly every ncaa team sport has between 19-22% of teams participating in the championship tournament.

NCAAB - 68/358= just under 19%
                            womens volleyball- 64/334= 19.2%
                            baseball- 64/301=21.2%

d2 football 28/164 = 17.1%
                            if expanded to 32/164= 19.5%

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

My friend Szymon thinks you are a racist.
                              You win the internet

Comment

Quick note for everyone - the D2 playoff field will be selected tomorrow (Sunday 11/13) at 5:30 PM ET. You can stream the selection show at NCAA.com.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X