Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josh Buchanan View Post
    Here is an early look at an updated top 15 D2 prospects for me at the mid-way point of the CFB season.

A few notes for this list. Drew was not #1 in preseason but has been very good this year and has been pushed there for now.

Jiles, Heyward, and Garrison have made the biggest jump for me while the only faller so far has been Vaval.

Heyward is probably not going to get much of a buzz because he does not have great numbers but he is a HWS player who should test well and might even sneak into late rounds.
    Rank Pos First Name Last Name School Class Projection
    1 CB Willie Drew Virginia State RSSr. 6th-7th
    2 DT Andre Jefferson Lenoir-Rhyne Sr. PFA
    3 WR John Jiles West Florida RSSr. PFA
    4 CB Josh Heyward Benedict (SC) RSSr. PFA
    5 OT Blake Larson Augustana (SD) RSSr. PFA
    6 OT Aiden Williams Minnesota Duluth RSr. PFA
    7 TE Devon Garrison Pittsburg State RSSr. PFA
    8 WR DeWaylon Ingram Northern State RSSr. PFA/FA
    9 TE Sam Pitz Minnesota Duluth RSSr. PFA/FA
    10 WR Max McLeod Colorado School of Mines RSr. FA
    11 WR Kameron Johnson Barton College (NC) Sr. FA
    12 CB Shon Stephens Ferris State RSr. FA
    13 DE Deshawn McCarthy East Stroudsburg SSr. FA
    14 OT Michael Jerrell Findlay (OH) RSSr. FA
    15 CB Tre Morrison Wingate (NC) RSr. FA
    16 WR Drew Dixon Limestone (SC) RSSr. FA
    17 DE C.J. Ravenell Missouri Western State RSSr. FA
    18 FS Major Williams Carson-Newman RSr. FA
    19 CB Rico Payton Pittsburg State RSSr. FA
    20 CB Trey Vaval Minnesota State-Mankato SSr. FA
    Overall, looking at the projections, it seems like this is a pretty weak class for top end D2 NFL talent, would that be accurate? Usually you have a handful of guys projected to be drafted and then double digit guys as PFA's.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Overall, looking at the projections, it seems like this is a pretty weak class for top end D2 NFL talent, would that be accurate? Usually you have a handful of guys projected to be drafted and then double digit guys as PFA's.
      Seems GV usually has at least 1 guy on the list also, same with Pueblo (or at least one of the two does). Both teams look to be pretty young based on a quick look at rosters. Think GV only has ilke 10 seniors, not sure if they all contribute. I wonder if the covid year and the changes to eligibilty has impacted senior class sizes this year. When you only have 36 scholarships to give and guys are given an extra year of eligibility it has to show up down the road at some point. Just a random thought, who knows.
      Last edited by Turbonium; 10-19-2023, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Seems GV usually has at least 1 guy on the list also, same with Pueblo. Both teams look to be pretty young based on a quick look at rosters. Think GV only has ilke 10 seniors, not sure if they all contribute. I wonder if the covid year and the changes to eligibilty has impacted senior class sizes this year. When you only have 36 scholarships to give and guys are given an extra year of eligibility it has to show up down the road at some point. Just a random thought, who knows.
        Could it be that the transfer portal is gobbling up the fringe talent and they are at FCS schools now rather than D2? Is it a combo of both?

It’s like trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop…

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Could it be that the transfer portal is gobbling up the fringe talent and they are at FCS schools now rather than D2? Is it a combo of both?

It’s like trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop…
          Yes, also very possible. The landscape has certainly changed the last few years now, for better or worse.

Comment

CB Shon Stephens Ferris State RSr. plays pretty impressive, good speed, great at angles and change of direction and should get a shot. also saw Davison, (Mercyhurst) play a couple times (I travel weekly to watch games). he's very versatile and can play numerous rec. spots, special teams, and rb but i also saw him get inured. he's got 2 more years left

Comment

Great list as always! I'm surprised that Matocha isn't in the top 20. Clear #1 QB in D2 from what I've seen and looked much better than Bagent in their matchup last year. Glad to see Bagent Orange getting some changes in the NFL but I think John Matocha is just as good of a passer and is far more elusive in and out of the pocket.

Also Mines related, I think Max McLeod has another year of eligibility due to the Covid year and redshirting. Wouldn't be surprised to see him run it back with Mines for a sixth year to get a Masters and another shot at the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by FortLewis4Lyfe View Post
                Great list as always! I'm surprised that Matocha isn't in the top 20. Clear #1 QB in D2 from what I've seen and looked much better than Bagent in their matchup last year. Glad to see Bagent Orange getting some changes in the NFL but I think John Matocha is just as good of a passer and is far more elusive in and out of the pocket.

Also Mines related, I think Max McLeod has another year of eligibility due to the Covid year and redshirting. Wouldn't be surprised to see him run it back with Mines for a sixth year to get a Masters and another shot at the ship.
                Matocha is a D2 QB under 6 foot, with average arm strength. He's a great D2 QB, but he's nowhere close to what is looked for by NFL teams at the position. Bagent is the first D2 QB to get in an NFL game since....Keith Null? Is that right? And he happens to be 6'3" lol.

Not trying to downplay Matocha's ability, just the reality of the situation when it comes to evaluating QB's by the NFL. They are just now barely getting around to accepting QB's under 6' tall from Power 5 schools, let alone D2 schools. And Matocha doesn't have a big arm. He has an average college arm. His money is made in being accurate, but that isn't gonna cut it for the NFL teams. I mean look at Ken Dorsey. One of the most prolific college QB's ever at Miami in the early 2000's, but he got run out of the NFL quick because he couldn't get balls to the sidelines in time. Not a big enough arm.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Matocha is a D2 QB under 6 foot, with average arm strength. He's a great D2 QB, but he's nowhere close to what is looked for by NFL teams at the position. Bagent is the first D2 QB to get in an NFL game since....Keith Null? Is that right? And he happens to be 6'3" lol.

Not trying to downplay Matocha's ability, just the reality of the situation when it comes to evaluating QB's by the NFL. They are just now barely getting around to accepting QB's under 6' tall from Power 5 schools, let alone D2 schools. And Matocha doesn't have a big arm. He has an average college arm. His money is made in being accurate, but that isn't gonna cut it for the NFL teams. I mean look at Ken Dorsey. One of the most prolific college QB's ever at Miami in the early 2000's, but he got run out of the NFL quick because he couldn't get balls to the sidelines in time. Not a big enough arm.
                  Agreed, zero way Matocha gets a real NFL shot. He will have a great career I'm sure, it'll just be outside of football.

Comment

Again, you confuse Mines having a better team than Shepherd with Matocha being better than Bagent. He isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Again, you confuse Mines having a better team than Shepherd with Matocha being better than Bagent. He isn't.
                      For that matter, he could be a better college qb than Bagent and still not have the physical gifts to get to the NFL. You can't teach physical gifts..

Not saying he is, but the higher you go, the more rigid they demand the physical tangibles.

Comment

I have Matocha just outside of that and about to post updated ratings so you can see all the new names on the radar. I have Matocha second in this class behind the UWF QB who has size and a little stronger arm. Matocha is the top D2 QB though. Alt at Bemidji State is getting some interest this fall as well.

I am sure several on my list will come back. Until they announce publicly or a 2024 roster is posted I keep them in this class.

Comment

Matocha is actually getting looks but your points are reasonable on why he is not getting heavy interest. Matocha is a great D2 player but I don't expect him to make it in the NFL. He is considered a tryout player by those I have spoken to.

Comment

Here is my updated list that is expanded to a top 40.

Rank Pos Stock First Name Last Name School HT WT Cls Projection
                            1 CB up Willie Drew Virginia State 5113 185 RSSr. 5th
                            2 DT Andre Jefferson Lenoir-Rhyne 6012 295 Sr. PFA
                            3 WR up John Jiles West Florida 6026 209 RSSr. PFA
                            4 CB up Josh Heyward Benedict (SC) 6005 195 RSSr. PFA
                            5 OT up Blake Larson Augustana (SD) 6063 300 RSSr. PFA
                            6 CB up Shon Stephens Ferris State 5092 180 RSr. PFA
                            7 OT Aiden Williams Minnesota Duluth 6053 295 RSr. PFA
                            8 TE up Devon Garrison Pittsburg State 6047 240 RSSr. PFA
                            9 WR DeWaylon Ingram Northern State 6010 190 RSSr. PFA/FA
                            10 TE Sam Pitz Minnesota Duluth 6055 245 RSSr. PFA/FA
                            11 WR Max McLeod Colorado School of Mines 6007 200 RSr. FA
                            12 WR Kameron Johnson Barton College (NC) 5084 170 Sr. FA
                            13 DE Deshawn McCarthy East Stroudsburg 6030 265 SSr. FA
                            14 OT Michael Jerrell Findlay (OH) 6042 294 RSSr. FA
                            15 CB Tre Morrison Wingate (NC) 6010 185 RSr. FA
                            16 OT Marshall Foerner Minnesota State-Mankato 6060 305 RSr. FA
                            17 CB Dalen Peeks Wayne State (MI) 5112 195 SSr. FA
                            18 DE C.J. Ravenell Missouri Western State 6054 287 RSSr. FA
                            19 FS Major Williams Carson-Newman 5110 190 RSr. FA
                            20 CB Rico Payton Pittsburg State 5107 182 RSSr. FA
                            21 CB Trey Vaval Minnesota State-Mankato 5111 170 SSr. FA
                            22 CB C'Darius Kelley Lenoir-Rhyne 5110 185 RSr. FA
                            23 WR up Jelani Baker Limestone (SC) 6010 195 RSSr. FA
                            24 DE up Maven Kretche Minnesota State-Mankato 6050 265 RSr. FA
                            25 DE Christian McCarroll Grand Valley State 6022 260 RSSr. FA
                            26 QB Byron Jarrett West Florida 6024 240 RSr. FA
                            27 WR Preston Smith Davenport (MI) 6034 210 Sr. FA
                            28 WR Kashan Griffin Northwest Missouri State 5103 162 Sr. FA
                            29 WR Drew Dixon Limestone (SC) 6020 200 RSSr. FA
                            30 ILB Landon Honeycutt Mars Hill 6024 225 SSr. FA
                            31 WR Xavier Wade Ferris State 6010 195 RSSr. FA
                            32 FS C.J. Brown Kutztown 5105 190 RSr. FA
                            33 TE INJ CJ Kiss Notre Dame College (OH) 6036 230 RSr. FA
                            34 FS Daniel Mendoza Adams State 5112 195 Sr. FA
                            35 QB John Matocha Colorado School of Mines 5110 180 SSr. Tryout
                            36 CB Eli Pittman CSU-Pueblo 5100 187 RSr. Tryout
                            37 OT Keith Russell Missouri Western State 6045 308 Sr. Tryout
                            38 OG Jake Edwards Concordia-St. Paul 6031 300 RSSr. Tryout
                            39 FB Ian Hall Ferris State 5107 265 RSr. Tryout
                            40 QB Brandon Alt Bemidji State 6002 220 Sr. Tryout

Comment

That is the case indeed. You have to remember that a lot of programs who were putting players on these lists are now FCS such as Abilene Christian, Texas A&M Commerce, Tarleton State, etc. Between the portal and players moving up it has depleted the numbers some.

Comment

Here is a list of D2 players getting looks based on what I have compiled from talking to NFL connections and some names I liked enough to get a look based on what I saw.
                                Pos First Name Last Name School
                                FS Daniel Mendoza Adams State
                                RB Gei'vonni Washington Ashland
                                OT Blake Larson Augustana (SD)
                                WR Kameron Johnson Barton College (NC)
                                QB Brandon Alt Bemidji State
                                CB Josh Heyward Benedict (SC)
                                FS Quentin Gaskill Bloomsburg
                                FS Major Williams Carson-Newman
                                DT David Olajiga Central Missouri
                                WR Max McLeod Colorado School of Mines
                                QB John Matocha Colorado School of Mines
                                RB Noah Roper Colorado School of Mines
                                OG Jake Edwards Concordia-St. Paul
                                CB Eli Pittman CSU-Pueblo
                                CB Daniel Bone III CSU-Pueblo
                                FS Cory McLellan CSU-Pueblo
                                WR Preston Smith Davenport (MI)
                                ILB Julius Wilkerson Davenport (MI)
                                DE Deshawn McCarthy East Stroudsburg
                                CB Shon Stephens Ferris State
                                WR Xavier Wade Ferris State
                                FB Ian Hall Ferris State
                                OT Michael Jerrell Findlay (OH)
                                DE Christian McCarroll Grand Valley State
                                TE Michael Harding Hillsdale
                                TE Cole Laney Indiana (PA)
                                WR Derek Lockhart Indiana (PA)
                                FS C.J. Brown Kutztown
                                DT Andre Jefferson Lenoir-Rhyne
                                CB C'Darius Kelley Lenoir-Rhyne
                                WR Jelani Baker Limestone (SC)
                                WR Drew Dixon Limestone (SC)
                                ILB Landon Honeycutt Mars Hill
                                SS Tristan Rankin Mars Hill
                                OT Aiden Williams Minnesota Duluth
                                TE Sam Pitz Minnesota Duluth
                                OT Marshall Foerner Minnesota State-Mankato
                                CB Trey Vaval Minnesota State-Mankato
                                DE Maven Kretche Minnesota State-Mankato
                                DE C.J. Ravenell Missouri Western State
                                OT Keith Russell Missouri Western State
                                WR TJ Davis Nebraska-Kearney
                                TE Kevin Foelsch New Haven
                                RB Corey Watkins North Greenville (SC)
                                DE Curtis Ryans North Greenville (SC)
                                WR DeWaylon Ingram Northern State
                                WR Kashan Griffin Northwest Missouri State
                                TE Carl "CJ" Kiss Notre Dame College (OH)
                                WR Michael Marshall Oklahoma Baptist
                                TE Devon Garrison Pittsburg State
                                CB Rico Payton Pittsburg State
                                OLB Dubem Okonkwo Pittsburg State
                                SS Michael Woolridge Saginaw Valley State
                                WR Jairus Grissom Saginaw Valley State
                                WR Kyle Sheets Slippery Rock
                                OT Grant Smith South Dakota Tech
                                RB Gage Porter Southern Nazarene (OK)
                                WR Anthony Lowe Tiffin (OH)
                                FS Jermaine Wimpye Tiffin (OH)
                                DT Branden Spencer UNC-Pembroke