Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Yup. The Shepherd loss was Judon's last at Grand Valley. And that might have been the biggest upset in D2 football in the past decade, or at least top 10.
    I'm a little biased, but I don't think that was a big upset. Shepherd ran all over GV and was able to match the physicality at the line of scrimmage, which for the most part is the main difference between SR1 football and the perennial powers in the midwest. Shepherd ran for almost 200 yds in that game, when that happens I don't think its as much of a fluke.

I do remember talking to some GV folks at the game and how decimated their WR corps was heading in. I think they even had a WR punting for them at the time too. Shepherd lost their starting QB on the first possession of the game as well. Luckily, they had a pretty talented back up in Connor Jessup. Nobody was beating NWMS those years, but I still think if Jessup ended up the QB the following year instead of accepting the back up role again, Shepherd is back in the National Championship game. Ziemba was good, but Jessup legitimately could have been a HH winner. He ended up getting the 1 year starting nod his senior year when that great group of seniors had left and still led Shepherd to an undefeated season only to be upset in round 1. He ended up being 4th that year in the HH (2017).

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'm a little biased, but I don't think that was a big upset. Shepherd ran all over GV and was able to match the physicality at the line of scrimmage, which for the most part is the main difference between SR1 football and the perennial powers in the midwest. Shepherd ran for almost 200 yds in that game, when that happens I don't think its as much of a fluke.

I do remember talking to some GV folks at the game and how decimated their WR corps was heading in. I think they even had a WR punting for them at the time too. Shepherd lost their starting QB on the first possession of the game as well. Luckily, they had a pretty talented back up in Connor Jessup. Nobody was beating NWMS those years, but I still think if Jessup ended up the QB the following year instead of accepting the back up role again, Shepherd is back in the National Championship game. Ziemba was good, but Jessup legitimately could have been a HH winner. He ended up getting the 1 year starting nod his senior year when that great group of seniors had left and still led Shepherd to an undefeated season only to be upset in round 1. He ended up being 4th that year in the HH (2017).
      200 yards can be a fluke if the majority of it came on a busted play or 2. No idea if that's what happened in that game, but total yardage doesn't tell much of the story. I mean 40 for 200 with a long of 20 is an entirely different game than 38 for 50 yards and 2 busted plays for 150.

Comment

NW’s ‘10 17-13 loss @ UND in the ‘deep freeze bowl’ ended up being Mel’s last game coaching the Bearcats. I heard he lobbied hard to get the ncaa to move the game indoors or reschedule it due to the extreme cold but the ncaa told him to pound sand. I wonder if the circumstances around that game hastened Mel’s decision to retire.
        That game and the ‘00 NDSU loss @ DSU in the ‘kitty-litter bowl’ are 2 games that maybe should’ve been changed.

I do know we sure could’ve used beast TE Jon Baker and a healthy WR Jake Soy that day.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
          NW’s ‘10 17-13 loss @ UND in the ‘deep freeze bowl’ ended up being Mel’s last game coaching the Bearcats. I heard he lobbied hard to get the ncaa to move the game indoors or reschedule it due to the extreme cold but the ncaa told him to pound sand. I wonder if the circumstances around that game hastened Mel’s decision to retire.
          That game and the ‘00 NDSU loss @ DSU in the ‘kitty-litter bowl’ are 2 games that maybe should’ve been changed.

I do know we sure could’ve used beast TE Jon Baker and a healthy WR Jake Soy that day.
          You don't think NW got some advantages playing in crappy weather in Maryville?

I still remember NW fans whining about the grass field in Eburg....

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

You don't think NW got some advantages playing in crappy weather in Maryville?

I still remember NW fans whining about the grass field in Eburg....
            You had to ask and remind the D2 world eh?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post

After that NC game in kc, no nw fan ever, ever ever gets to talk about the weather hurting them.

NDSU in the pre-dome days was freaking brutal, though.

Comment

It was also terribly cold/snowy/icy in the ‘07 semi win vs GVSU but it always feels colder when you lose, hence the *****ing about the cold weather loss in Duluth ;-)

Comment

It is awesome seeing DSU in all of those lists. However, it is AMAZING to see UWF making the lists... They've had football less than 10 years and their on all-time lists. Incredible. Now for DSU to climb the rankings!

Comment

Here's some other random numbers for you from 2000-2022.

Since 2000:

-There have been 32 programs to win at least 150 games during that span. But only 5 have won 200+ (Northwest Missouri, Grand Valley, Valdosta State, Minnesota Duluth and Shepherd).

-Truman has won more games than any other school who has not made the postseason since 2000.

-Western Oregon has the highest win percentage of a school without a playoff appearance who has played 100+ games during that span.

-These would be the top 10 in each super region going into this year.
                    Super Region 1 Total Super Region 2 Total Super Region 3 Total Super Region 4 Total
                    1 Shepherd PSAC 189.80 1 Valdosta State GSC 578.79 1 Northwest Missouri MIAA 777.85 1 Minnesota Duluth NSIC 274.78
                    2 Bloomsburg PSAC 101.71 2 Delta State GSC 241.66 2 Grand Valley GLIAC 695.84 2 Minnesota State NSIC 173.65
                    3 California PSAC 86.71 3 West Florida GSC 204.73 3 Ferris State GLIAC 265.68 3 CSU-Pueblo RMAC 148.78
                    4 West Chester PSAC 72.65 4 Winston-Salem CIAA 82.66 4 Pittsburg State MIAA 204.74 4 Colorado Mines RMAC 95.69
                    5 IUP PSAC 65.75 5 Lenoir-Rhyne SAC 82.54 5 Wayne State (Mich.) GLIAC 57.44 5 Texas A&M-Kingsville LSC 53.52
                    6 Slippery Rock PSAC 52.67 6 Carson-Newman SAC 61.70 6 Harding GAC 45.65 6 West Texas A&M LSC 51.58
                    7 Notre Dame MEC 39.64 7 West Georgia GSC 59.52 7 Saginaw Valley GLIAC 32.64 7 Angelo State LSC 24.52
                    8 East Stroudsburg PSAC 35.54 8 Catawba SAC 38.57 8 Central Missouri MIAA 17.66 8 Chadron State RMAC 23.68
                    9 Concord MEC 24.40 9 Albany State SIAC 23.68 9 Emporia State MIAA 17.55 9 Central Washington LSC 23.67
                    10 New Haven NE10 18.64 10 North Greenville GSC 22.48 10 Missouri Western MIAA 14.63 10 Midwestern State LSC 14.70

Comment

The data screams for D2 to drop regionalization.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X