Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KPI: Coming soon to a D2 sport near you

The KPI, created by Kevin Pauga, has been approved by the Championships Committee and will be used beginning in 2024–25 in football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball. (Criteria being phased out in favor of KPI are record vs. ranked opponents in football and softball, Performance Indicator in basketball and baseball, and in-region non-conference performance in volleyball.)

Unlike every other selection criterion in D2, this one will include results against non-D2 opponents.

The KPI is found on https://faktorsports.com/, which has complete pre-selection data for the last year or two (depending on the sport).

I ran last season's football through it. Looks pretty crappy.

Comment

I agree. Are there any articles on this? I ran the basketball and softball seasons through it too, and couldn't be more dumbfounded by what I saw.

I did a cursory google search (yes I know that is the epitome of laziness) and didn't see anything.

Is this D2s verson of the BCS? If so can we pretend that we are OU because the computers always loved OU? Then again OU did always try to play one decent to excellent non-conference game annually.

Yeah, if they are really going to use this it is yet another reason to get rid of SILO. I wonder what the formula is?
      Last edited by UCObluejay; 07-19-2023, 08:31 PM.
      Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
        The KPI, created by Kevin Pauga, has been approved by the Championships Committee and will be used beginning in 2024–25 in football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball. (Criteria being phased out in favor of KPI are record vs. ranked opponents in football and softball, Performance Indicator in basketball and baseball, and in-region non-conference performance in volleyball.)

Unlike every other selection criterion in D2, this one will include results against non-D2 opponents.

The KPI is found on https://faktorsports.com/, which has complete pre-selection data for the last year or two (depending on the sport).
        Since 2005 when a clear QoWI existed and could easily be calculated.

Comment

According to this page from the NCAA website KPI is already used in D1 bracket selection. Unfortunately the page doesn’t explain that much about how the system works, just a very basic overview. I tried googling more about KPI but the only thing I found that wasn’t from the NCAA was a single article from UConn’s student paper and it didn’t clear much up.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
            I ran last season's football through it. Looks pretty crappy.
            It's pretty bad.

Comment

When I saw Wingate would be the 1 seed in Sr2, I quit.

Comment

1 2 3 4
                1 Indiana (PSAC) Wingate (SAC) Grand Valley St. (GLIAC) Angelo St. (Lone Star)
                2 Shepherd (PSAC) Benedict (SIAC) Ferris St. (GLIAC) Minnesota St. (NSIC)
                3 Notre Dame (MEC) West Florida (Gulf South) Ouachita Baptist (GAC) Colo. Sch. Of Mines (RMAC)
                4 Slippery Rock (PSAC) Delta St. (Gulf South) Pittsburg St. (MIAA) Bemidji (NSIC)
                5 Ashland (G-MAC) Newberry (SAC) Uindy (GLVC) Winona St (NSIC)
                6 Gannon (PSAC) Lenoir-Rhyne (SAC) Davenport (GLIAC) Wayne St (NSIC)
                7 Concord (MEC) West Ga. (Gulf South) Saginaw Valley (GLIAC) Auggie (NSIC_)
                8 Kutztown (PSAC) Va Union (CIAA) Harding (GAC) Pueblo (RMAC)
                9 N Haven (NE10) Fayetteville ST( CIAA) NW Missouri (MIAA) Sioux Falls (NSIC)
                10 W Chester (PSAC) Limestone (SAC) Truman (GLVC) C Washington (Lone Star)

Comment

In other news, at the 2024 convention there will be a vote (of football schools and conferences) on removing the top-9 limit from Earned Access.

Comment

In other news, at the 2024 convention there will be a vote (of football schools and conferences) on removing the top-9 limit from Earned Access.
                    So they're trying to get more teams in who don't deserve it?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

So they're trying to get more teams in who don't deserve it?
                      appears so this popped in my feed

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/8/3/m...onvention.aspx
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I'm curious what the success rate looks like for Earned Access teams over the last decade or so. It can't be great. I understand the goal but I'm not sure its what is best for the sport. A better proposal would be automatic qualifiers for conference champions. That is more consistent with other NCAA championships across classifications. Maybe when an independent team qualifies call that Earned Access.

Does any other NCAA sport at any level have Earned Access?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm curious what the success rate looks like for Earned Access teams over the last decade or so. It can't be great. I understand the goal but I'm not sure its what is best for the sport. A better proposal would be automatic qualifiers for conference champions. That is more consistent with other NCAA championships across classifications. Maybe when an independent team qualifies call that Earned Access.

Does any other NCAA sport at any level have Earned Access?
                          In a non-direct way, Notre Dame has a level of earned access in football. Or maybe that was only during the BCS days. That may have been when, but I guess the answer is, kind of?

Comment

The September report of the Championships Committee discusses a potential football bracket expansion to 32, as well as moving the championship game to January. There's also mention of the new regional alignment (beginning in 2025) but no indication of what it looks like. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/com...2CC_Report.pdf

Comment

Looks like they’re also looking at realigning the super regions. As a big SR1 and SR4 fan, I have no idea why they would do this. Really affects the integrity of our great sport

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X