Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the FCS model was somewhat followed, 24 teams in, seed the top 8 which get a bye, fill the rest geographically. It would look something like:

Top Left:

1. Mines

Western Colorado vs Central Washington

8. Benedict

LR vs West Fl

Bottom Left

4. Harding

UTBP vs Bemidji

5. Delta State

Central Mo vs Henderson State

Top Right

2. GVSU

SRU vs Charleston

7. Tiffin

Pitt State vs UIndy

Bottom Right

3. Ferris

Kutztown vs Va Union

6. Valdosta

Auggie vs Mankato

Off the top of my head I believe that would be 2 first round flights and then if the "favorites" won in round 1 it would be 2 second round flights.
    Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 11-16-2023, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldBison View Post
      I’ll say it one more time. The purpose of D2 playoffs is not to produce a champion that is the best team in all of D2. The purpose is to provide a playoff bracket that facilitates participation by teams that have distinguished themselves within the D2 footprint.
      While the playoff selection is flawed and you can argue about seeding, regional representation, etc., I think it's probably relatively rare when the top 3-4 teams in each region don't make the playoff field. If you're the best team in D2, there is a chance to prove it on the field. Imagine the uproar if we had a four-team travesty such as D1 has had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Taking the concept of 15 conference champions, expanding field to 32 with above teams and putting top 4 in separate East, Midwest, South and West regions and placing remaining 28 in each region by geography I was able to keep flights to 2 and avoid rematches in all but 3 games.

As for second round you could matchup by geography to avoid more planes rather than strict bracket and this would really only be necessary in the west. I have listed the mileage in parentheses for the matchups.

East

Ferris St., New Haven, Shepherd, Charleston, Indy, Kutztown, Slippery Rock, East Stroudsburg

Ferris St. v. Indy (309)
        E. Stroudsburg v. New Haven (150)
        Shepherd v. Slippery Rock (235)
        Kutztown v. Charleston (431)

South

Harding, Delta St., West Fla., L-R, Benedict, Va. Union, Limestone, Valdosta St.

Harding v. Delta St. (175)
        Valdosta St. v. Limestone (416)
        West Fla. v. Benedict (524)
        L-R v. Va. Union (298)

Midwest

Grand Valley, Tiffin, Bemidji St., Mo. Western, Central Mo., Minn.-Mankato, Pitt. St., Augustana

Grand Valley v. Tiffin (251)
        Mo. Western v. Bemidji St. (635)
        Pitt. St. v. Augustana (483)
        Minn.-Mankato v. Central Mo. (438)

West

Colo. Mines, CSU-Pueblo, Western Colo., Central Wash., Angelo St., Henderson St., TAM-Kingsville, UT-Permian Basin

Colo. Mines v. Central Wash. (1,210)
        Angelo St. v. Henderson St. (511)
        CSU-Pueblo v. Western Colo. (160)
        TAM-Kingsville v. UT-Permian Basin (496)
        I can't complain with this, although I do think we should have at least 2 seeded teams per region rather than a single seeded team. I also think within each region there still should be a bracket, so schools have some idea who they will play in the second round (So they can send Connor Stallions to scout the team now that he has free time).

Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post
          I wish this was the way it really was and I could watch West Florida dog walk Benedict instead of a rematch of #2 Delta State playing the 1 team that beat them this season.
          Would love to see GV smoke Tiffin - passing out lessons for leaving the GLIAC

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

I can't complain with this, although I do think we should have at least 2 seeded teams per region rather than a single seeded team. I also think within each region there still should be a bracket, so schools have some idea who they will play in the second round (So they can send Connor Stallions to scout the team now that he has free time).
            That seems way better than current model.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSUBulldog27 View Post
              Well it appears the Natty will be decided next weekend in Allendale. Regions are a joke - every year region 1 and 2 make semifinals and get waxed by SR3. GVSU goes home early last year, Pitt State…travesty… how has Shepard done in the last 2 semifinals? All you silo conferences afraid to branch out…defending 2 time champion is behind Henderson and Indy laughable.
              Man shut up. GV bout to drop 50 on y'all

Comment

• It's not rocket science...NCAA likes to keep their costs low for D2 Playoffs, but I think everyone would like to see a top 16, 24, 28, etc playoff bracket based on rankings. I also understand that the regional rankings give more teams a chance to make the playoffs. For example, in the MIAA, Missouri Western fell to 8-3 with their loss to Missouri Southern, who is clearly better than a lot of teams and was ranked higher. The system has been whack for years. people are going to complain because their team didn't make it and some team who wasn't even in the top 28 made it and then theirs going to be people who like it. SR3 is by far the juggernaut of all the regions. Pitt, Harding, Ferris, Grand Valley State, and UCM.... this region alone has 5 teams who were in the top 8 last week. It's exciting football, but in the grand scheme would make no sense in D1 football, basketball, volleyball or 8th grade basketball. It's going to be a fun weekend to see what happens. I think the most talked about game is Ferris vs GVSU, I know Ferris lost earlier in the year by around 20, but I'm sure it's going to come down to the wire. I'm a gorilla and expect a win against Uindy and UCM will fly by Henderson State with the way their offense has been rolling. I would like to see a Pitt vs Ferris in Pitt next week, but Pitt has been best against a more run dominant team like GVSU. UCM vs Harding should be exciting next week if UCM wins. In my opinion, no disrespect to any teams out their, but the champion will be from either SR3 or CO. School of Mines.

It's time to watch some real football now baby! Let's Go

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonBreath_328 View Post

I would like to point out that this was not a GV person making this comment, and nobody related with GV believes this to be happening lol.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Taking the concept of 15 conference champions, expanding field to 32 with above teams and putting top 4 in separate East, Midwest, South and West regions and placing remaining 28 in each region by geography I was able to keep flights to 2 and avoid rematches in all but 3 games.

As for second round you could matchup by geography to avoid more planes rather than strict bracket and this would really only be necessary in the west. I have listed the mileage in parentheses for the matchups.

This is a sort of option that I think represents an improvement, while also isn't completely unrealistic. I don't think a regionalized bracket is going away, and FCS-style proposals are completely pie-in-the-sky. But by loosening the selection criteria a bit, you generate a more balanced bracket.

Comment

• If D2 keeps the Super Regions (which I think is a safe assumption), this is my proposal, which I first tested last year (with a projection of a GVSU-Ferris final) and am applying again this year:
                      • Top 6 teams per Super Region qualify (apply Earned Access to top 8 to keep conference commissioners happy)
                      • 4 additional wild card teams are selected, irrespective of Super Region, based on committee or polls.
                      • Top 8 teams nationally are seeded 1-8. Selection can be based on committee or polls.
                      • At least 1 team per Super Region must be seeded.
                      • Top 4 seeds are the anchors for their quadrant of the bracket. 1st and 2nd seed must be on opposite sides of the bracket.
                      • 5-8 seeds are placed into their quadrants based roughly on geography. Preference given to equal pairings (1-8, 2-7, etc) but not guaranteed.
                      • Remaining teams are assigned to quadrants based on geography. Top 3 teams in each Super Region are guaranteed at least 1 home game.
                      For this exercise, I assumed:
                      • Shepherd, Limestone, Henderson St, and Minnesota St are the 7th-ranked teams in each Super Region, and are thus not automatically qualified
                      • Henderson St, Minnesota St, Missouri Western, and Minnesota-Duluth are the wild card teams
                      • The seeds are as follows: 1) CO Mines, 2) GVSU, 3) Harding, 4) Ferris St, 5) Benedict, 6) Pittsburg St, 7) Central MO, 8) Tiffin
                      I don't think everyone here will be happy with it, but I think this is closer to something that could actually pass than an FCS-type system..

Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.png
Views:	602
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	796237

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonBreath_328 View Post

Nov 7, 2023 - Ohio votes to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

It all makes sense now.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I would like to point out that this was not a GV person making this comment, and nobody related with GV believes this to be happening lol.
                          It's the clown from Tiffin - that ran from the GLIAC. Pounding his chest - They will be exposed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Nov 7, 2023 - Ohio votes to legalize marijuana for recreational use.

It all makes sense now.
                            What's funny is GVSU almost dropped 50 on them already this year. (49-28). Do I thimk it happens again? Not a chance. I think GVSU does win again, but it won't be as high scoring (GVSU historically doesn't win playoff rematches as high scoring or by as wide a margin as they do in the regular season.)

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

What's funny is GVSU almost dropped 50 on them already this year. (49-28). Do I thimk it happens again? Not a chance. I think GVSU does win again, but it won't be as high scoring (GVSU historically doesn't win playoff rematches as high scoring or by as wide a margin as they do in the regular season.)
                              I also think GV wins again, somewhat comfortably at that. Just funny to see a just joined the forum Tiffin fan spouting off about anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                                If D2 keeps the Super Regions (which I think is a safe assumption), this is my proposal, which I first tested last year (with a projection of a GVSU-Ferris final) and am applying again this year:
                                • Top 6 teams per Super Region qualify (apply Earned Access to top 8 to keep conference commissioners happy)
                                • 4 additional wild card teams are selected, irrespective of Super Region, based on committee or polls.
                                • Top 8 teams nationally are seeded 1-8. Selection can be based on committee or polls.
                                • At least 1 team per Super Region must be seeded.
                                • Top 4 seeds are the anchors for their quadrant of the bracket. 1st and 2nd seed must be on opposite sides of the bracket.
                                • 5-8 seeds are placed into their quadrants based roughly on geography. Preference given to equal pairings (1-8, 2-7, etc) but not guaranteed.
                                • Remaining teams are assigned to quadrants based on geography. Top 3 teams in each Super Region are guaranteed at least 1 home game.
                                For this exercise, I assumed:
                                • Shepherd, Limestone, Henderson St, and Minnesota St are the 7th-ranked teams in each Super Region, and are thus not automatically qualified
                                • Henderson St, Minnesota St, Missouri Western, and Minnesota-Duluth are the wild card teams
                                • The seeds are as follows: 1) CO Mines, 2) GVSU, 3) Harding, 4) Ferris St, 5) Benedict, 6) Pittsburg St, 7) Central MO, 8) Tiffin
                                I don't think everyone here will be happy with it, but I think this is closer to something that could actually pass than an FCS-type system..

Click image for larger version  Name:	bracket.png Views:	34 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	796237
                                This makes sense... my question is where is the transparency from the NCAA to explain seedings and match ups. How much time do they really spend on this to where this model or the one before shows how many flights there would be etc. Yes I am biased this week because the 2nd and 5th nationally ranked teams are playing each other in the first round. All this game does is benefit the other 26 teams by losing a top seed from play. SR3 at the end of the regional championship will lose 4 out of the top 7 (could be 5 if Indy or Henderson win out) teams ranked nationally will be wiped out -

National Rankings of teams in each SR - SR1 = 9, 13,15,24, NR, NR, NR...SR2 = 4,8,11,14,23, NR, NR...SR3= 2,3,5,6,7,17, 25 ...SR4= 1,10,12, 16, 19, 21 , NR

The best possible ranked team that could make the semifinals from SR1 is 9th ranked. SR2=4th ranked SR3= 2nd Ranked SR4= 1st ranked ......If regions were somewhat evenly matched I can see the current NCAA set up but they aren't. I guess start with the GLIAC commissioner and see what can be done because the current set up doesn't pass the sniff test.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X