Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Mike Leach was awesome.
    Some of his bits giving marriage advice in random interviews are hilarious.

Comment

dink and dunk

Comment

"The ball didn't bounce our way" is by far my least favorite. 99% of the time it's just a way to avoid accepting fault for a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Mike Leach was awesome.
          His speech about which Pac 12 mascots would win in a fight was freaking amazing.

Comment

"The team is not quite in sync."
            "The other team is trying, too"

Heard those from the Pitt HC for most of a decade.

Comment

Honestly, most of these cliches don't bother me as much as many others on here. For example, one of the most recent entries in this thread.... dink and dunk. Is it cliche, or is it a legit offensive gameplan? To me, it gives an image of a team using short passes and a running game to advance the ball downfield, sometimes with success. Also, implies a boring type of offense, with which I don't disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
                This entire thread is annoying me. I can't stand most of these.

However..................having worked on radio, podcasts, PA announcing and newspapers/online for 25+ years I will admit that you have to say some of these and more throughout the game/season/career. There's just only so much you can say before pulling out the clichés or repeating yourself.

The only thing I refuse to say is "the defense ALLOWED that touchdown...." or something to that nature. I was writing a story about this group of college football moms for Central Washington University in probably 2000/2001 and one of them pulled me aside and privately told me she hated that term (her son was probably one of the toughest DBs ever, who hit with so much rage it hurt to watch). Defenses don't allow scores is what she said. They're working to prevent it. I've never used the word to describe a defense since then. The closest I'll come is the word, "yield."

Also, when I was a PA announcer for CWU football for many years, I'd get a text from IronOre when I would say a variation of "flag" or "flags on the field".

Whatever, just my version of a cliché I guess.
                Well, you’d say flags when there was only one flag. Just wanted to make sure you were being accurate!

Comment

Cliche - "God was on our side, today..." Not yesterday? What about the last time you lost? Or what about the other team? God must really hate them...

Mike Leach Interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4veYug5pFo

As an ardent Texas Tech Fan, I was freaking ready to give my fan card back after the loss to A&M. They beat our a$$, something like 55 to not very much. Then this press conference took place, and it made it all just a little bit better. Lots of sororities at Tech were up in arms about it though...

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                    Cliche - "God was on our side, today..." Not yesterday? What about the last time you lost? Or what about the other team? God must really hate them...

Mike Leach Interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4veYug5pFo

As an ardent Texas Tech Fan, I was freaking ready to give my fan card back after the loss to A&M. They beat our a$$, something like 55 to not very much. Then this press conference took place, and it made it all just a little bit better. Lots of sororities at Tech were up in arms about it though...
                    Ah yes, that one is an absolute gem. 3 times in the first 14 seconds…just masterful. Demeaning as hell, but just pure gold.

Comment

Applicable to this time of year:

"Going to the dance"
                      "Got their ticket punched"
                      "Put their dancing shoes on"

For baseball:

"Going to the show"

"March Madness" is starting to get a little old too!

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

So us old guys can't use slang? I get it. :-) Most of those terms have been around for quite some time... just sayin' Still, there are some grinding cliches out there.
                        Exactly Redwing, I’ve been using the term Natty since most on here were probably in diapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I’ll let you figure it out ;)

Oh, and thanks for another! Just sayin’

I don’t care how long they’ve been around. Chip/chipper and Natty bug the hell out of me. But, I’m not young anymore either and people can say what they want. Ha.

Let me also add the massive overuse (and frequent misuse) of literally. Ugh.
                          To the point i believe the Merriam Webster dictionary literally updated the definition of literally to also mean figuratively. thanks Chris Traeger...

Comment

Originally posted by BisonOL View Post

Exactly Redwing, I’ve been using the term Natty since most on here were probably in diapers.
                            There is something dad jokish about us older guys using slang. Like if I used slang and said to my grandson...No cap, them NPC's delulu if they think they gonna stop us. Coach lettin' us cook tonight! My grandson would look at me like I'm craycray!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post

To the point i believe the Merriam Webster dictionary literally updated the definition of literally to also mean figuratively. thanks Chris Traeger...
                              Chasing slang meaning is literally the most foolish thing I've ever heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                Applicable to this time of year:

"Going to the dance"
                                "Got their ticket punched"
                                "Put their dancing shoes on"

For baseball:

"Going to the show"

"March Madness" is starting to get a little old too!
                                "Spring Schizophrenia" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X