• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

My, My, My.

I'm away for only a few days and Insidesource and BoatCapt are spilling tea all over the place.

I'm not saying I'm inclined to believe much of it, but I always love speculation and info obtained directly from "sources".

Seton Hill / Mercyhurst / Gannon to G-MAC -- Interesting. Seton Hill shared an NAIA conference with a decent portion of the current G-MAC. Mercyhurst and Gannon were GLIAC members up until 2008, so they have history with a decent portion of the G-MAC as well. In fact, I think Mercyhurst has shared history with Hillsdale, Findlay, Ashland and UIndy all the way back to the MIFC days. All 3 are lacrosse members of the G-MAC.

UIndy to the G-MAC -- I thought this was a pipe dream at one time (they are currently #2 in D2 directors cup points, by the way). That said, I thought Hillsdale/Findlay/Tiffin was a pipe dream too, and it happened. Given the continued westward movement of the GLVC, their closest GLVC conference-mate closing, Bellarmine flirting with D1, etc - there are reasons that this might have some legs. Plus, they share the same GLIAC football history, plus MIFC history with Hillsdale Findlay, Ashland and Mercyhurst.

NDC/Urbana to G-MAC -- This rumor has been around forever - and for obvious reasons. It makes sense. Both have a history with the G-MAC and were part of the old NAIA conference that the G-MAC essentially rebuilt. Both are better geographic fits in the G-MAC than the MEC. I'm sure that both have had frequent and ongoing discussions with the G-MAC and/or G-MAC schools regarding a potential someday move.

Ashland to either the G-MAC or MEC -- Ashland said they would re-visit their affiliation in 2020. I'll take them at their word. No idea if they move or not. If they do, I think its the G-MAC. I highly doubt its the MEC.

AB to MEC -- This is the opposite rumor to NDC/Urbana. Its been around forever - and again, for good reason. Same reasons - past history and better geography. Similar to NDC/Urbana, I can almost guarantee you that there have been ongoing discussions between AB and the MEC.

Walsh to the MEC -- I don't believe this one at all. They were one of the NAIA schools that transitioned to D2 with the intent of meeting up with their conference-mates on the other side in a new D2 conference. After a decade of work, they finally got what they wanted. Unless something extreme happened behind the scenes that we don't know about, I cannot see this happening.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    This issue has been filled over the years with people who sound serious about the information they have about NDC and/or Urbana and/or Ashland moving to the GMAC...and it just doesn't happen. The new twist in this annual ritual of "serious" information includes Seton Hill and Gannon into the going to transfer to the GMAC discussion.
    Perhaps the GMAC wants thus to happen and clearly some of the posters with "inside information" want it to be true but a conferences and posters desires hardly raise to the level of a real rumor. Particularly when the rumor is floated year after year.

Only thing we know for sure is that Shepherd went to the PSAC to replace Cheyney, Wise went to the SAC, MEC is adding Frostburg and UNCP to replace them, D&E left the GMAC for the MEC and Malone dropped athletics.

But since we are engaged in wild rumors, here's what I've heard from "sources" recently. MEC has contacted Ashland about them joining. Ashland said they were interested but not right now. MEC has had talks with AB but both agreed not to move forward for the coming year. They have also talked to Walsh and discussions are on going. MEC has also talked to Pikeville and Bluefield (VA) and both have expressed a degree of interest. Also one unnamed PSAC state school has reached out to them recently to see what the MEC had to offer.
    Interesting !! Thanks

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    The talk on this board sounds more serious than wishful thinking. I don't considering WJU/WU a viable entity going forward. If I'm a FB player and notice that the MBB, that won the MEC championship two seasons ago, has basically disbanded, I might consider not wasting my time. I could be wrong that doesn't look like a real +1. Now if you could talk SHU into returning both leagues would be well served. Time will tell.
    This issue has been filled over the years with people who sound serious about the information they have about NDC and/or Urbana and/or Ashland moving to the GMAC...and it just doesn't happen. The new twist in this annual ritual of "serious" information includes Seton Hill and Gannon into the going to transfer to the GMAC discussion.
    Perhaps the GMAC wants thus to happen and clearly some of the posters with "inside information" want it to be true but a conferences and posters desires hardly raise to the level of a real rumor. Particularly when the rumor is floated year after year.

Only thing we know for sure is that Shepherd went to the PSAC to replace Cheyney, Wise went to the SAC, MEC is adding Frostburg and UNCP to replace them, D&E left the GMAC for the MEC and Malone dropped athletics.

But since we are engaged in wild rumors, here's what I've heard from "sources" recently. MEC has contacted Ashland about them joining. Ashland said they were interested but not right now. MEC has had talks with AB but both agreed not to move forward for the coming year. They have also talked to Walsh and discussions are on going. MEC has also talked to Pikeville and Bluefield (VA) and both have expressed a degree of interest. Also one unnamed PSAC state school has reached out to them recently to see what the MEC had to offer.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Based on what? Yes, the MEC did lose Shepherd and Wise but they have added back on the football side Frostburg, UNCP and WJU. That actually puts them in better shape than they were last year.

The NDC and Urbana going to leave for the GMAC is a yearly rumor that has been around since the begining of the MEC and GMAC. If I had a dollar for every post on this board were someone heard from a reliable source that one or the other or both joining the GMAC is a "done deal," my savings account would have a considerable amount of extra benjamins in it. You never know what foolish moves a school will make in the future so anything is possible, but for now I'll chalk up the yearly NDC and/or Urbana is going to go to the GMAC as the annual dose of wishful thinking of some posters. Same with the UIndy to the GMAC or Ashland to the GMAC...annually we here from someone who has heard from someone who "knows" that they have committed to join the GMAC...just never seems to happen.
    The talk on this board sounds more serious than wishful thinking. I don't considering WJU/WU a viable entity going forward. If I'm a FB player and notice that the MBB, that won the MEC championship two seasons ago, has basically disbanded, I might consider not wasting my time. I could be wrong that doesn't look like a real +1. Now if you could talk SHU into returning both leagues would be well served. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

The odd conference out in this discussion seems to be the MEC. With the PSAC and potentially the GMAC poaching one or more schools, added to the possible loss of financially distressed institutions like WJU, it seems that this league will be scrambling in the next 5 years to put together a 9 game league schedule.
    Based on what? Yes, the MEC did lose Shepherd and Wise but they have added back on the football side Frostburg, UNCP and WJU. That actually puts them in better shape than they were last year.

The NDC and Urbana going to leave for the GMAC is a yearly rumor that has been around since the begining of the MEC and GMAC. If I had a dollar for every post on this board were someone heard from a reliable source that one or the other or both joining the GMAC is a "done deal," my savings account would have a considerable amount of extra benjamins in it. You never know what foolish moves a school will make in the future so anything is possible, but for now I'll chalk up the yearly NDC and/or Urbana is going to go to the GMAC as the annual dose of wishful thinking of some posters. Same with the UIndy to the GMAC or Ashland to the GMAC...annually we here from someone who has heard from someone who "knows" that they have committed to join the GMAC...just never seems to happen.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
    Do you mean that they will have to *gasp* play OOC games?
    Likely 2 or 3 which isn't always possible.

Leave a comment:

• gr8ness97
    replied

The odd conference out in this discussion seems to be the MEC. With the PSAC and potentially the GMAC poaching one or more schools, added to the possible loss of financially distressed institutions like WJU, it seems that this league will be scrambling in the next 5 years to put together a 9 game league schedule.
    Do you mean that they will have to *gasp* play OOC games?

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
    I've said for years that NDC will eventually be a GMAC school. I just have no idea when.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

I would think NDC will likely be losing one of the schools closest to ND in the MEC because I don't think Wheeling Jesuit is going to survive after this upcoming school year. It looks real bad at Wheeling.

NDC will probably continue to have good success in the MEC, but travel distance has seemed to drive a lot of conference shake ups lately.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

I've said for years that NDC will eventually be a GMAC school. I just have no idea when.

Leave a comment:

• Dozsa2
    replied

Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
    My understanding was that for Hurst or Gannon to make the jump, the other would have to commit as well
    Gotcha. So, hypothetically, they're a package deal? One isn't leaving without the other.

Leave a comment:

• Insidesource
    replied

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Does the '1 other PSAC school' include Seton Hill? Or are you hearing UPJ? Those are the only privates in the PSAC. No chance one of the other PSAC West schools leave.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Nicolette
    replied

What I am hearing from those involved in GMAC meeting:

Seton Hill/UIndy most likely to join GMAC

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

NDC/Urbana possible (50/50)

No talks AT ALL concerning Ashland
    I have long shared my skepticism of this. I never say never, and I understand the reasons 'why'. I also understand the reasons 'why not'...and in mind that list isn't short. I notice you typed "most likely to join", but didn't write something to the effect of it being pending/imminent.

Interesting to watch, no doubt. Has been for a while.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Seton Hill is a dumpster fire athletic program. They can leave. The others not so much.

That said, the travel alone would be financial suicide being the PSAC offers relatively short trips -- especially in West play.

It would be shocking if either Erie school even considered a move. UPJ ... no chance.

Leave a comment:

• Dozsa2
    replied

What I am hearing from those involved in GMAC meeting:

Seton Hill/UIndy most likely to join GMAC

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

NDC/Urbana possible (50/50)

No talks AT ALL concerning Ashland
    Does the '1 other PSAC school' include Seton Hill? Or are you hearing UPJ? Those are the only privates in the PSAC. No chance one of the other PSAC West schools leave.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X