Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    The schools are 3 hours and 30 minutes a part.
    JDon, I forgot that closest isn't always closest. Been living in flat FL for too long I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
      JDon, I forgot that closest isn't always closest. Been living in flat FL for too long I guess.

Comment

Davis & Elkins, then known as the Scarlet Hurricanes I believe, led the nation in scoring in 1935 when Cam Henderson was the head coach but I don't think they've had football there since the mid-1950s.
        Last edited by timbertopper; 05-22-2018, 11:53 AM. Reason: corrected season to 1935

Comment

I would think a little school of 800-900 students would be very difficult to maintain a football program. Football at the D2 level is not a money maker.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Not that the 'what if' debate isn't entertaining for this time of year but when is the actual Shepherd decision due?
            I heard June 30, but I have no idea if that's correct. BTW, thanks for making us your homecoming game again. Seems we're back in the pattern of being each other's homecoming opponent. I just hope we're more competitive than two years ago.

Comment

Haha ... I wouldn't think too much in to it. I think it's just a matter of how the conference schedule falls.

Comment

Not that the 'what if' debate isn't entertaining for this time of year but when is the actual Shepherd decision due?
                I too wonder what is taking so long. I mean, it seems like most PSAC posters think it is a lead pipe, stone cold lock that they join the conference. If it is that obvious of a decision, why is Shepherd delaying? Not like announcing their decision now (or last week...or the week before that...or the week before that...) hurts Shepherd. To the contrary...If the answer is "Yes, we are joining the PSAC" it gives the MEC additional time to start looking for a replacement (AB?)...and if the answer is "No, not interested in joining the PSAC" it gives the PSAC a chance to approach another school before the start of the 2018-19 "year" (Frostburg?).

Only legit reason I can think of for them not to announce is that they haven't really made up their mind yet. I would imagine that at some point they will make an announcement, I would point out that the lack of an announcement that they are joining the PSAC is effectively a silent announcement that they are staying with the MEC.

FYI, June 30 is the last day of the 2017-18 athletic year. My understanding is that if Shepherd announces before the beginning of the 2018-19 year then 18-19 becomes their first year of the three required to leave the MEC...If they wait until after that date, their first year of the three would not be until 2019-20 year.

What I've been told is that Frostburg is going to announce in early June that they are accepting the MEC's offer and will be attempting to move up to DII...BUUUUTTTT...The actual filing date for the NCAA is NLT the end of March 2019. What I've heard is that one of the main reasons they haven't announced to date is that they were insuring that they would stull be eligible for D3 conference championships and D3 Playoffs for the 2018-19 year. I believe that has been worked out.

Comment

My understanding is that Zan the Ram will appear this Friday. If Zan sees his shadow he will run to the mountains and there will be 5 more weeks of waiting on a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                    My understanding is that Zan the Ram will appear this Friday. If Zan sees his shadow he will run to the mountains and there will be 5 more weeks of waiting on a decision.
                    OK! Now THAT was funny!!!

Comment

I am of the opinion the longer this drags out the more likely it is that they are indeed joining the PSAC. There's been ample time to squash this if they weren't. The decision is likely already made and just not announced.

If anything it is keeping the click rate up on this site.

Comment

I am of the opinion the longer this drags out the more likely it is that they are indeed joining the PSAC. There's been ample time to squash this if they weren't. The decision is likely already made and just not announced.

If anything it is keeping the click rate up on this site.
                        If the decision has been made, why delay releasing it?

I am of the opinion that they haven't released their decision, because there is no decision to release.

Comment

Is there anything actually in writing as to any short term or long term planning by the MEC. Also, maybe it was mentioned already in this thread, who was the other WV school that expressed interest in the MEC? My guess would be Bethany

Comment

If you mean something in writing that is official coming from the MEC? No. Only thing we have is statements coming from the commissioner and assistant commissioner of the MEC and statements coming from the President and AD from Frostburg. Officially we don't know any of the three teams (two in WV and one from OH) that have expressed interest in joining the MEC.

I think that if Shepherd stays we may never officially know who the WV and OH teams are. That is, if the MEC decides to stay at 12. If they decided to go to 16, the three teams would put us at 14 (if Shepherd leaves) and 15 if they stay.
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 05-27-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
                              I heard June 30, but I have no idea if that's correct. BTW, thanks for making us your homecoming game again. Seems we're back in the pattern of being each other's homecoming opponent. I just hope we're more competitive than two years ago.
                              June 30 is the date most conferences have as their "you need to let us know you are leaving by" date. The exit schedule hinges on that date. If a school misses it, the next date is the following June 30 and the exit schedule would get pushed back an entire year (in theory at least, as a high percentage of exits are negotiated) So, I would agree that we should know by June 30. Also, if they are a solid "no" (to the PSAC), I would think that you will start hearing rumors of PSAC interest in another school (because again, that school's date to announce its planned exit from its current conference is also probably June 30).

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                                June 30 is the date most conferences have as their "you need to let us know you are leaving by" date. The exit schedule hinges on that date. If a school misses it, the next date is the following June 30 and the exit schedule would get pushed back an entire year (in theory at least, as a high percentage of exits are negotiated) So, I would agree that we should know by June 30. Also, if they are a solid "no" (to the PSAC), I would think that you will start hearing rumors of PSAC interest in another school (because again, that school's date to announce its planned exit from its current conference is also probably June 30).
                                If it is such a "no brainer" as people here have said, why delay the announcement? Doesn't do either conference any good for Shepherd to delay. Waiting (and waiting and waiting) until June 30 leaves both conferences in limbo...Stay in the MEC and the PSAC has no chance to try and woo another school and the same goes with the MEC if they go to the PSAC. OF COURSE...If they have decided to stay in the MEC and want to keep the PSAC from approaching Frostburg until they have committed to the MEC, maybe not saying anything makes sense??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X