Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

I'll admit, I'm at bit surprised at the results.
    Data is full-time undergraduate enrollment, as reported to Dept. of Education

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Mountain East Enrollments**

Char 1209
    Conc 1868
    Fair 3259
    Glen 1054
    NDC 1247
    Urba 417
    WLU 1801
    WVS 1762
    WVW 1362
    WJU 790
    --------------------------------
    Average Enrollment of 1476

** Great Midwest Enrollments **

ABU 934
    Cedv 3010
    D&E 771
    Find 2561
    Hill 1526
    KWC 663
    LEC 723
    Malo 1135
    ODU 998
    OVU 390
    Trev 1251
    Ursu 463
    Wals 2776
    Tiff 3350
    --------------------------------
    Average Enrollment of 1467

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Sounds like a lot of what if and wishful thinking for a conference that is pretty close to 50/50 from an in-Ohio/out-of Ohio standpoint. Kind of like me saying the MEC is a public school conference because Frostburg might join which will make the public/private split 6 to 5.
      I wouldn't say that any of what is mentioned is wishful thinking. It is what it is. With 8 of 14 schools being in OH and the other 6 being spread out over 3 states, I think its undeniable that the GMAC is an OH-centric conference. Plus, as mentioned, 2 of the non-OH schools are very close to the OH border (OVU - just across the OHIO river, Hillsdale - 15 miles). Similarly, I view the MEC as very WV-centric. Again, that's not wishful. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
        I wouldn't say that any of what is mentioned is wishful thinking. It is what it is. With 8 of 14 schools being in OH and the other 6 being spread out over 3 states, I think its undeniable that the GMAC is an OH-centric conference. Plus, as mentioned, 2 of the non-OH schools are very close to the OH border (OVU - just across the OHIO river, Hillsdale - 15 miles). Similarly, I view the MEC as very WV-centric. Again, that's not wishful. It is what it is.
        But to say the GMAC is in place so "the Ohio schools can have their own conference" is simply not true.

Comment

When reviewing FTE numbers - states have different ways of counting.... are they including 12 hrs as full time or 15 hrs?

Are they lumping all the credits offered and dividing by 12 or 15 or are they actually going by full time student as of first day of class..

In wv wvhepc law/code says every public college/ school can offer college course taught either by a hs teacher or college faculty for $25 a credit... so instead of a 3 credit course costing 1200, it costs less than $300.. those hs kids can be included in the FTE

So enrollments can be miss leading to how many people are actually on campus

Also several schools are patterning with online institutions, this can increase enrollment, but have that tuition goes to online school and those kids never stay on campus...

Also fairmont State shares their campus with Piedmont CTC... So that increases the numbers taking courses...

FTE numbers can be deceiving

Frostburg State has 4087 by the latest Eada -

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/list

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post
            When reviewing FTE numbers - states have different ways of counting.... are they including 12 hrs as full time or 15 hrs?

Are they lumping all the credits offered and dividing by 12 or 15 or are they actually going by full time student as of first day of class..

In wv wvhepc law/code says every public college/ school can offer college course taught either by a hs teacher or college faculty for $25 a credit... so instead of a 3 credit course costing 1200, it costs less than $300.. those hs kids can be included in the FTE

Also several schools are patterning with online institutions, this can increase enrollment, but have that tuition goes to online school and those kids never stay on campus...

Also fairmont State shares their campus with Piedmont CTC... So that increases the numbers taking courses...

Understood that enrollment numbers are all over the place. Almost every school over-inflates their numbers for marketing purposes, some quite dramatically. That's why I used the federally-reported numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post

What I would want to know and what I think is a truly useful comparison is the total full time on-campus headcount. Don't care if they are undergrad or graduate students, if they are enrolled in a full time course of study on campus, they count.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                From what I understand it is. My "source" at Frostburg said the announcement would be sometime the last week of June. When I asked what the announcement would be, he said I would have to wait and see...but he sent me two "Winkie" emojis like this :wink: so my guess is that it is a go. That or he REALLY likes me!!
                Showtime. Counting today, only 4 weekdays left.

Comment

Collegiate Consulting (twitter: ?@CollConsulting) has a tweet that says "MEC will turn focus to Alderson Broadus and Davis Elkins of the GMAC." First I've heard of D&E speculation, outside of guys just throwing ideas around on the message board.

Comment

Collegiate Consulting (twitter: ?@CollConsulting) has a tweet that says "MEC will turn focus to Alderson Broadus and Davis Elkins of the GMAC." First I've heard of D&E speculation, outside of guys just throwing ideas around on the message board.
                    Interesting, maybe they realize that they can't limit themselves to football playing schools?

Comment

• Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

Maybe they can change the name back to the wviac

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
                        Maybe they can change the name back to the wviac
                        That does have a ring to it.:doh:

Comment

Very interesting source, as Collegiate Consulting has previously worked with the G-MAC. Also, the same Twitter feed projected Shepherd to the PSAC way back in February (more than a month prior to announcement of Cheyney leaving the PSAC).
                          Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-26-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

One of the primary consultants at Collegiate Consulting...Barry Blizzard...Former Commissioner for the WVIAC who lost his job when the WVIAC fell apart.

Comment

I'm not sure what's gained by bringing Davis & Elkins into the MEC fold, other than geography.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                                I'm not sure what's gained by bringing Davis & Elkins into the MEC fold, other than geography.
                                Didn't someone say that a league needs 10 teams for NCAA purposes? If so, D&E provides a little cushion. If ND & Urbana were to leave, the MEC could be down to 10 teams without D&E and they would have to hope all of those teams stay put. Just a thought.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X