Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Good luck with that. You really think travel is the only reason Shepherd left?
    I think the GOOD BOATCAPT, as the most stalwart defender of all things WVIAC/MEC, is a bit down with this defection. Refusing to accept that this is a parallel D2 version of what is happening at the D1 level. While many of the schools in the conference may feel a great affinity to it, administrators don't want to be the last man standing if the worst comes to pass. Getting out early gives them much better bargaining positions that won't be there if they show up because the have to. Should they try to lure schools from other conferences, absolutely. Try SHU for a start, but don't be surprised if they are happy with their position in the PSAC WEST with 4 of their regular opponents within a short bus ride from GREENSBURG. Don't know what else to say.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Why? I think the MEC should start playing by the same rules that the PSAC and GMAC are playing by. See a team you want from another conference, go after them.
      I thought you guys were going after Frostburg. Also, an AB poster said Reid Amos was at AB a few weeks ago. Seems like the MEC has already been playing by the same rules.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
        I thought you guys were going after Frostburg. Also, an AB poster said Reid Amos was at AB a few weeks ago. Seems like the MEC has already been playing by the same rules.
        We are...now. The MEC is late to the poaching game but if that is the way the other conferences want to be, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          I think the GOOD BOATCAPT, as the most stalwart defender of all things WVIAC/MEC, is a bit down with this defection. Refusing to accept that this is a parallel D2 version of what is happening at the D1 level. While many of the schools in the conference may feel a great affinity to it, administrators don't want to be the last man standing if the worst comes to pass. Getting out early gives them much better bargaining positions that won't be there if they show up because the have to. Should they try to lure schools from other conferences, absolutely. Try SHU for a start, but don't be surprised if they are happy with their position in the PSAC WEST with 4 of their regular opponents within a short bus ride from GREENSBURG. Don't know what else to say.
          And that is a good thing?

Comment

We are...now. The MEC is late to the poaching game but if that is the way the other conferences want to be, so be it.
            You know we remember where the MEC got its members from, right?

Listen, I know you are having a bad week, but you can't go changing history on us.

Comment

And that is a good thing?
              It is what it is and there is no apparent way to reverse the trend. On the D1 level I was a big fan of the BIG EAST with the large number of longstanding regional rivalries that were great events to see. Then BC, PITT, CUSE and WVU figured they could get more by joining other conferences . The BE survives as a BB league and that is sort of sad but that's life in the semi-pro world of D1 sports. D2 will never get there due to budget constraints but look for their equivalent of super conferences to start arising especially if they get a sniff of anything like TV $$$. The NCAA starting to show regular FB and BB games on the ESPN menu is really pushing this agenda.

Comment

Is Frostburg still a go?

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                  Is Frostburg still a go?
                  From what I understand it is. My "source" at Frostburg said the announcement would be sometime the last week of June. When I asked what the announcement would be, he said I would have to wait and see...but he sent me two "Winkie" emojis like this :wink: so my guess is that it is a go. That or he REALLY likes me!!

Comment

Comment

So, if Frostburg is a go that would bring the MEC to 11 teams. Will they go to 12 soon and who will that be?

Comment

Comment

Comment

The OH schools have wanted to have their own conference for a long time and finally have one. Unless there is an unknown black sheep in that bunch, it would seem weird for any of those schools to break away now.
                            I'd say fans of Hillsdale, Kentucky Wesleyan, Alderson Broadus, Trevecca, D&E and Ohio Valley might disagree with that statement.

Comment

I'd say fans of Hillsdale, Kentucky Wesleyan, Alderson Broadus, Trevecca, D&E and Ohio Valley might disagree with that statement.
                              I think there will always be a handful of non-OH schools, but it will no-doubt continue to be an OH-centric conference. Right now, it's an 8 (Ohio), 6 (everybody else) split. Even then, 2 of the 6 non-OH schools are very near the OH border (OVU and Hillsdale). There are only 4 schools that aren't in or very-near OH.

Plus, there have been comments on here that Mr. Amos has recently visited AB. If the MEC and AB pull the trigger on that, it reduces the non-OH schools by at least 1 (and maybe more if D&E decides that it can't live on a remote island my itself). TNU is unlikely to stay forever. Plus, we know that at least NDC (and probably Urbana) has some interest in returning to the GMAC (which could increase the OH school count by another 2). Due to these reasons, I see the conference trending even more OH-concentrated than it already is.
                              Last edited by Stea1th; 06-25-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I think there will always be a handful of non-OH schools, but it will no-doubt continue to be an OH-centric conference. Right now, it's an 8 (Ohio), 6 (everybody else) split. Even then, 2 of the 6 non-OH schools are very near the OH border (OVU and Hillsdale). There are only 4 schools that aren't in or very-near OH.

Plus, there have been comments on here that Mr. Amos has recently visited AB. If the MEC and AB pull the trigger on that, it reduces the non-OH schools by at least 1 (and maybe more if D&E decides that it can't live on a remote island my itself). TNU is unlikely to stay forever. Plus, we know that at least NDC (and probably Urbana) has some interest in returning to the GMAC (which could increase the OH school count by another 2). Due to these reasons, I see the conference trending even more OH-concentrated than it already is.
                                Sounds like a lot of what if and wishful thinking for a conference that is pretty close to 50/50 from an in-Ohio/out-of Ohio standpoint. Kind of like me saying the MEC is a public school conference because Frostburg might join which will make the public/private split 6 to 5.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X